cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JL DS71 Planning on going 60+ Hz with the iPS display

moiezomar
Level 7
Hi,
As the title says im planning on setting the monitor to more than 60hz. I read a review on amazon that said a customer got it upto 100hz with no issues. I read up on the G750 forum that its possible but they come with TN displays not IPS. Anyone done this? Issues? Temp differences? Fps difference in games?
12 REPLIES 12

direkJay
Level 7
I have the same laptop and I'm currently running at 75Hz, noticeable overall smoothness difference with no side effects (meaning, the laptop is running the same way it was at 60Hz). Which is why it's actually tempting to crank it up more - although I'll just play safe for now, there aren't too many people who got the same model as ours surprisingly so I have no one to compare performance etc. And I only play DotA2 and CS:GO on my laptop coz I mostly use it for editing, which is why I opted for this version and I didn't like the red fins at the back for I also bring my laptop to meetings and it should be as stealth as possible lol

mijicm1
Level 7
I have the same laptop. Does this affect FPS in any way? I switched it to 75Hz today, and it looks better. At least I think it looks better. Are there any noticeable differences in quality when cranking it up to 75Hz, or 100Hz? P.S. I wish they added support for G-Sync on these laptops.

It affects the FPS that the screen can show.If a game is running at 100 FPS and your monitor is working on 60hz it can only produce 60 frames.On the other hand you can have a 100hz monitor but if your PC runs a game at 30 it won't matter because you're not going to be utilizing it anyway.

mijicm1
Level 7
Oh, yeah. That makes sense. Thanks very much for explaining. So, can I run 100Hz on G751JL? Are there any potential consequences?

moiezomar
Level 7
Ive only seen one guy who's doing it without problems. Most people either dont have our model or dont try to crank it. 105hz produces artifacts and 120hz blanks out the display. Potentially most displays today contain the same electronics for 60+ refresh rates but theyre capped to 60 anyway. Im theorizing here, if it was indeed detrimental then wouldnt increasing the rate be a bit harder than just setting a custom profile? One would expect some sort of safety switch? Perhaps manufacturers never thought that users would overclock monitors but then again this has been going on in laptops since atleast 2013 (heavily).

mijicm1
Level 7
I ran it at 100Hz for about half an hour without a hitch. No artifacts, or ghosting. But then I got antsy and I switched it back to 75Hz. When you say "one guy who's doing it without a problem" do you mean that many tried it and it didn't end well, or...?

Carnoustie
Level 9
I have been running at 96Hz for weeks on win 8 and win 10,no problems.

Im curious why 96? Why not 90,95 or 100? Do you get specific 96fps in some game or...?

Carnoustie wrote:
I have been running at 96Hz for weeks on win 8 and win 10,no problems.

Im curious why 96? Why not 90,95 or 100? Do you get specific 96fps in some game or...?