cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 on G551JW

Seishiro
Level 7
Hello everyone. G551JW user here. Has anyone upgraded their G551JW to Windows 10 without experiencing any problems as of now? Haven't upgraded mine yet.
10 REPLIES 10

ReDXfiRe
Level 7
I had issues with BSOD and LAN Driver; fixed it by updating to latest intel HD graphics and LAN Driver by using a Jan 2015 Windows 8 Driver instead of the one thats with W10 and no issue except for some quirky sound.

Korean_Unicorn
Level 7
I have a G551JW, upgraded Win10 from 8.1 pro. So far there are no issues, and some of my problems are fixed. I haven't got a BSOD for almost a month now.

PS it's smooooooth

shipinabottle
Level 7
Seishiro wrote:
Hello everyone. G551JW user here. Has anyone upgraded their G551JW to Windows 10 without experiencing any problems as of now? Haven't upgraded mine yet.

I wouldn't upgrade. I have the same laptop as you, and I made the mistake of upgrading to Windows 10. Aside from other small errors, the biggest problem is that I couldn't put the laptop to sleep. Well, I technically can, but it wouldn't wake up again.

Also, when you click on "Go Back to Windows 8.1", Windows 10 would go back, but it had already deleted some of the Windows 8 apps, so things are missing from the tiles.

shipinabottle wrote:
I couldn't put the laptop to sleep. Well, I technically can, but it wouldn't wake up again.

Just guessing.... Have you tried to perform SLEEP while:

• hibernation turned off ?
    open CMD with elevated prevleges and write: powercfg -h off to turn off hibernation.
    place "off" with "on" to enable it again.
  • "power off energy saving" in the BIOS is DISABLED ?
  • (If you got Inte's Wifi card) - Wake-On-WLAN features turned off/disabled ?

Can you please check and report back ?

shipinabottle wrote:

Also, when you click on "Go Back to Windows 8.1", Windows 10 would go back, but it had already deleted some of the Windows 8 apps, so things are missing from the tiles

I can only suggest to format c: drive and install windows 8 from scratch - as the upgrade and downgrade can screw-up the OS in many ways.

bartat404 wrote:
I'm running a GL551JW upgraded to Windows 10, and I have had absolutely ZERO issues thus far.
I do recommend completing the upgrade and then "resetting" to a stock install of W10 and work from there.

I agree with your recommendation - heck, its even A MUST - since upgrade is never 100% without its bugs/driver issues etc....
The important thing to remember is the the upgrade procedure MUST BE MADE inorder for the old windows product key will be transform into win 10 genuine key. for that, during the 1st upgrade, you MUST NOT perform a "clean installation" when you perform upgrade but rather choose to "leave all my info and data". ONLY AFTER you upgrade to windows 10 - you can choose to "remove everything and reinstall windows" from the "settings"

ZIXEL wrote:
i have the same laptop , i updated to w10 , was a holy crap many man y issues .... my issues were sound strange , freeze when i playing , cannot disable w.update , many lag , so i think w10 is still in beta lol

Windows 10 was out in its official RTM version in 29th Jul 2015 ( even few days before if you include multiple leaks version which are 1:1 exact copy of win10 )
After any windows upgrade you MUST reinstall ANY driver - DO NOT trust MS to do all important upgrade task for you... I.E graphic card driver, audio driver, Directx 9.0, .etc..etc...

khenzknyt wrote:
what do you mean by resetting mate?

Read HERE under "Remove everything and reinstall Windows".... this looks like this image.

ZIXEL wrote:
cannot disable w.update

As Windows 10 includes key-logger services & on the HOME and PRO version windows update are being done automatically ( the OS even performs restarts "for you" ) - I can suggest you run a community script to get rid of this OS intrusive behavior.
Look at this script solutions and another useful 1-click-and-forget solution
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

shipinabottle wrote:
I wouldn't upgrade. I have the same laptop as you, and I made the mistake of upgrading to Windows 10. Aside from other small errors, the biggest problem is that I couldn't put the laptop to sleep. Well, I technically can, but it wouldn't wake up again.

Also, when you click on "Go Back to Windows 8.1", Windows 10 would go back, but it had already deleted some of the Windows 8 apps, so things are missing from the tiles.

I'm 95% sure you have the beta BIOS. The beta BIOS is what causes the sleep issues, not Windows 10

ASUS ROG GL551JW
Intel Core i7-4720HQ 16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

bartat404
Level 7
I'm running a GL551JW upgraded to Windows 10, and I have had absolutely ZERO issues thus far.

I do recommend completing the upgrade and then "resetting" to a stock install of W10 and work from there.

ASUS ROG GL551JW
Intel Core i7-4720HQ 16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

bartat404 wrote:

what do you mean by resetting mate?

ZIXEL
Level 7
i have the same laptop , i updated to w10 , was a holy crap many man y issues , i reinstalled new clean w8.1 , and i can play normal now , my issues were sound strange , freeze when i playing , cannot disable w.update , many lag , so i think w10 is still in beta lol
GG WP

I can recommend >>> http://voltground.com

I just play StarCraft II

JustinThyme
Level 13
Im thinking he is referring to doing the upgrade then THIS which could be done as a clean install and wipes all of the remnants of the upgrade and old drivers out of the picture.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein