cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z170 ROG Max VIII Hero Memory and Intel SSD 750 questions

KozmoK
Level 7
Two Questions for ya guys 🙂 I'm a newb!

I already bought all my parts and just sitting and waiting to buy a CPU for it when they are released. (6700k)

1) I Bought non-supported memory.
I ordered G.SKILL F4-2800C15Q-32GVR - but its not listed in the qualified memory list - will it be ok? I am not going to do any memory overclocking. It however is listed in the 64gb variety in the list...weird! 15-15-15-35

2) What slot can I put my Intel 750 SSD for best performance?
I only have 1 Nvidia 980 TI, so that will go in the 1st pci 16 closest to the CPU. I am thinking that the 750 SSD will do fine in the last x16 slot (4x max). Is this correct?
10 REPLIES 10

kkn
Level 14
1, its listed on g-skills page.
http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2800c15q-32gvr
look under the QVL

2, i can not say enny thing about that since i have not used or tested it.
i would look in the manual to see where it is adviced to be ( if its stated ).

Nate152
Hello KozmoK

The kit you have listed is designed for the z170 boards so it will be fine and nice choice.

I would install the 750 ssd like you suggest in the 2nd pcie x16 slot.

Fast forward to 3:10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh3jnkD7Ayw

kkn
Level 14

kkn
Level 14

KozmoK
Level 7
Thanks Guys for your help!

I am going to run this intel SSD Addin Card with a SAMSUNG SM951 M.2 256GB PCI-Express 3.0 SSD...
giving my stepson my sata ssd 🙂

Motaba
Level 7
Since you have a GTX 980 (as I do) you DO NOT want it in the second slot. I saw the response from Nate152 and it's not his fault but rather a shame that the words "just plug it into any PCI-e slot that is SLI or X-fire capable" came from an Intel reps mouth. If you own this card chances are you deserve being spoken to at least a few steps above "I just learned how to open my case" :). Plugging it into this slot cuts turns both slots into PCIe x8 slots. Some will tell you that the GTX doesn't use all of the available bandwidth from an x16 slot which it does. I've attached screenshots. Both were done using AIDA64 (5.30 registered). They are labeled appropriately but merely having the Intel 750 in the second slot halves or nearly halves about 25% of the numbers, most concerning was the memory was the GPU memory read/write which are almost exactly halved. Now this could be just the speed that the system is allowed to access the GPU memory and may not be as much of a concern as it would not effect the GPU access speed to this memory.

I'm not trying to slam anyone, the fact that you are asking this question in my mind puts you a little above a newb to your credit. I've been searching for over a week on the topic of "assuming I have a Z170 chipset motherboard, what slot do I put this slot into" and haven't found a very specific answer.

If you look at the Intel 750 PCIe product page on Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167300&cm_re=Intel_750-_-20-167-300-_-Produ...) there is a nice video with newegg, Intel, & Asus all being represented. They talk a lot about the 3.5" version and the specifics of it's adaptation to M.2 x4, then the benchmarks are done with the PCIe version and no mention whatsoever of what slot to plug it into (appears to be the bottom most x16 slot on the Asus Sabertooth Z170 (which newegg doesn't carry, at least not as of 8/10.

So, again, I'm not trying to slam anyone, especially considering that I do not have a specific answer and WANT to be corrected (kindly please) of any false assumptions/representations I've made. I do want to mention that the screenshots/testing was done on my Z87-Pro which I know doesn't have official support but it does work in this board and Slots PCIe_x16(1) & PCIe_x16(2) are running @ PCIe 3.0 x8 just as they would on the ROG VIII Hero according to the boards manual. This is the board I plan on going with so I'd like to get an answer ASAP to finally put this issue to rest. My thinking was to run it in PCIe_x16(3) as the DMI link has been upgraded to version 3.0 allowing for @3.8GB/sec vs. @1.6-1.8GB/sec.

Jonnie

KozmoK wrote:
Two Questions for ya guys 🙂 I'm a newb!

I already bought all my parts and just sitting and waiting to buy a CPU for it when they are released. (6700k)

1) I Bought non-supported memory.
I ordered G.SKILL F4-2800C15Q-32GVR - but its not listed in the qualified memory list - will it be ok? I am not going to do any memory overclocking. It however is listed in the 64gb variety in the list...weird! 15-15-15-35

2) What slot can I put my Intel 750 SSD for best performance?
I only have 1 Nvidia 980 TI, so that will go in the 1st pci 16 closest to the CPU. I am thinking that the 750 SSD will do fine in the last x16 slot (4x max). Is this correct?

r4serei
Level 7
Consult your manual page 18 and 19.

Slots 2 and 4 are shared as Motaba noted and will revert to x8 mode when both are populated.

Looks like slot 6 is a x4 slot which is what you want.

Slots 1, 3, and 5 are x1 slots.

ALSO, slots 3 and 5 will be disabled is an x4 card is in slot 6..

wow that's alot of spiderwebs...

r4serei wrote:
Consult your manual page 18 and 19.

Slots 2 and 4 are shared as Motaba noted and will revert to x8 mode when both are populated.

Looks like slot 6 is a x4 slot which is what you want.

Slots 1, 3, and 5 are x1 slots.

ALSO, slots 3 and 5 will be disabled is an x4 card is in slot 6..

wow that's alot of spiderwebs...

Welcome to the ROG forums znd great info on the first post

01_Wolverine
Level 12
Welcome Motaba to the ROG forums

Hell of a first post