cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 recovery partition installed after Win10 upgrade?

harlekinfav
Level 7
So before the upgrade of my g750jz i didnt delete the recovery partition via asus backtracker, so my question is now on windows 10 are the 20gb still the win8.1 recovery data or is it now win10. and can i delete without problems and if i delete can a still do a clean wipe of win10 and fresh install it via the options ?
sorry for english, not my native language
12 REPLIES 12

Maxter
Level 9
You can go into computer management > disk management. You should have 5 partitions, usually... one of them (in GB) should be the one for Win10 or the other one. If you got more than one, you still have the previous one. I doubt it, however.
Download the microsoft media maker and make a flashdrive into a recovery USB drive before you do anything. you can clean install from that flash drive.

Maxter
Level 9

thx you for your reply
my partitions look like this, i think the 20gb one is the one from windows8.1 but which is then for win10 ?

Maxter
Level 9
The windows 8 partition stays there so in your worse case scenario, you can clean install Win 8 and upgrade again to 10 (this is for non-tech normal people). If you're comfortable, you can clean install windows 10, removing that 20GB partition and getting to use it. I would recommend you save 2 flashdrives: 1) with backtracker for win 8 and 2) the 3GB for win 10 installation.

Maxter wrote:
The windows 8 partition stays there so in your worse case scenario, you can clean install Win 8 and upgrade again to 10 (this is for non-tech normal people). If you're comfortable, you can clean install windows 10, removing that 20GB partition and getting to use it. I would recommend you save 2 flashdrives: 1) with backtracker for win 8 and 2) the 3GB for win 10 installation.

It's good advice, but I was lazy and didn't take it. I don't know if that created a problem.

I did the Windows 10 upgrade, which went fine.

Then I realized that I didn't want to go through a back to 8.1 downgrade if there were system problems. So, I used "Partition Wizard" free mini-tool, version 9.1 to wipe the hidden partition.

Then I combined the partition with my main SSD partition.

So far, so good--the system works just fine.

But, now I decided to make a Windows 10 USB recovery drive. When I use the recovery tool in Control Panel, it tells me it can't do it because some files are missing. It suggests going to my installation media... which was a download from MSFT.

So, I have a happy system, but no means of making a recovery drive. Any suggestions?

PS: it's a G751JT with 250 SSD

BTW, best way to delete/create/join partitions is within windows. It's under Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management. You'll see the options under "storage" - "disk management" on the left hand side. Be VERY careful when you play with this options. If you don't know, read. Otherwise, stay away from it.

Thanks... I'll try it and let you know.

I don't care about the Win 8.1 recovery partition. I just was wondering whether deleting it had also removed some files that WIndows 10 wanted to create the backup thumb drive, although I thought that unlikely.

Since I am running W10 on an SSD, I think the odds that I'll need the recovery drive due to disk failure are low. But, you never know when some upgrade or malware will make a repair or reinstall necessary.

I had found the link you mentioned, but I had created an upgrade disk, which is why that wouldn't work on the G751. I didn't know about the MSFT log issue.

Thanks again... will let you know how it works.

Maxter
Level 9
You're not using the right tool. You opened Control Panel and tried to click on "Backup and Restore"... that won't work. Specially since you deleted the 20GB partition.
Go to the link I provided above (#3) and download that file. Once you get it, open it and select the bottom option (that's the create media one - not the upgrade one). Follow instructions from there. You should have a flashdrive with 4GB. It'll get turned into a system flashdrive with all the info for installing clean Win 10. This will now be your backup. You can re-install on your PC as many times as you want. The clearing for activation goes through microsoft when you log into it with your microsoft account.
Using that tool from the link above will work even if you deleted Win 8 partition.
To get the Win 8 partition back, you have to find someone with a G750/G751 that can make you a backtracker... I saw somewhere in the forums a while back that someone had shared theirs, as many people were deleting the partition for space without saving it into a 16GB flashdrive yet.

nineformen
Level 7
Thanks... I'll try it and let you know.

I don't care about the Win 8.1 recovery partition. I just was wondering whether deleting it had also removed some files that WIndows 10 wanted to create the backup thumb drive, although I thought that unlikely.

Since I am running W10 on an SSD, I think the odds that I'll need the recovery drive due to disk failure are low. But, you never know when some upgrade or malware will make a repair or reinstall necessary.

I had found the link you mentioned, but I had created an upgrade disk, which is why that wouldn't work on the G751. I didn't know about the MSFT log issue.

Thanks again... will let you know how it works.