cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to improve my Processor result in Windows Experience Index? (G750JX)

AlexF
Level 7
¿Somebody can tell me why now in my "Windows Experience Index" (Chris PC) in my Processor is just 6.5? (Some months ago it used to be around 7.5)
It is the lowest of all the Test Scores, the others are between 7.7 and 8.2

¿Can I do something to improve it?

Fyi I already OCD my G750JX to 3.39GHz (-80mV) but it has not improved my Index.

As well, my Passmark result of my processor is ridiculous (2494) which is the lowest of the complete test.

Thanks!

Attached the results:
13 REPLIES 13

unclewebb
Level 10
Here are some PassMark scores for comparison from a Lenovo Y510P. It has a very similar Core i7-4700MQ. It uses the exact same default multiplier, overclocked turbo multiplier as well as 47 Watt TDP limit. The only difference is the 4700HQ is soldered to the motherboard.

http://i.imgur.com/6dG2h09.png

Your laptop is sick. Download CPU-Z and make sure that it is reporting 4 cores and 8 threads. It looks like you might have turned off half of your CPU.

If you have this problem, run msconfig, click on the Boot tab and then click on Advanced Options... and make sure the Number of processors is not checked.

http://i.imgur.com/ielH1bP.png

After this, click on OK and exit this screen and then reboot so Windows can find your entire CPU.

Your scores are so low that I am thinking it must be this. Either that or your CPU has a severe throttling problem. To fix that you could try running ThrottleStop.

ThrottleStop 8.00
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0dpSo9k93jDTE1fcHNtbUMwdGc

Dear Unclewebb:

I don't know how to thank you for your advices and support! It definitely worked! (I was sad and tired because I couldn't find the reason for this poor performance).

Attached please find the results of the improvement (The cause of the problem was the number of processors "checked" certainly during one of my "attempts" to improve my machine).

- ChrisPc rated 8.2 for all the values!
- Although the Total PassMark Evaluation improved a lot, you can see that the CPU Mark still could be better (Moved from 2494 to 3985).

So, after this results, Do you still recommend me to do the ThrottleStop? (I use Intel Extreme Utility with the shown values) It is "Equivalent"?

I will appreciate your advice.

Thank you very much!

Alex.

Dear Unclewebb:

I don't know how to thank you for your advices and support! It definitely worked! (I was sad and tired because I couldn't find the reason for this poor performance).

Attached please find the results of the improvement (The cause of the problem was the number of processors "checked" certainly during one of my "attempts" to improve my machine).

- Now I have 4 Cores and 8 Threads active.
- ChrisPc rated 8.2 for all the values!
- Although the Total PassMark Evaluation improved a lot, you can see that the CPU Mark still could be better (Moved from 2494 to 3985).

So, after this results, Do you still recommend me to do the ThrottleStop? (I use Intel Extreme Utility with the shown values) It is "Equivalent"?

I will appreciate your advice.

Thank you very much!

Alex.

unclewebb
Level 10
You are welcome. A lot of users that have "tweaked" the Number of processors and accidentally turned off half of their CPU. Some websites recommend doing this for improved boot times. Bad advice.

My laptop performs its best when I am only running ThrottleStop. I use ThrottleStop 8.00 for overclocking and under volting and I have Intel XTU completely turned off. Intel XTU looks better but it consumes too many CPU resources. Even when Intel XTU is minimized to the system tray and seemingly not doing anything, it is actually reducing CPU performance. It would be very interesting if you did some benchmarks to compare the two programs on your laptop.

Here is how ThrottleStop should look when it is setup correctly.

http://i.imgur.com/lb86jXs.png

For your CPU, you will need to open the FIVR window and check off overclocking and set your turbo multipliers appropriately. You also need to set your CPU to a negative offset voltage. After that, go back to the main window, check Set Multiplier and set that to the maximum value, make sure SpeedStep is checked and un-check the BD PROCHOT box. Click on the Turn On button to take ThrottleStop out of Monitoring mode.

ThrottleStop is a simple program that has improved the performance of many Asus laptops over the years.

Hello, I already instaled Throttlestop and did what you indicated. Couple of questions:

I noticed that in TS I can give 36 for each of the 4 cores, is that correct? (It would mean that this OC will be bigger than what can be done in XTU?)

Regarding the Voltage, i was great with -80 mV in XTU, would you suggest a better undervolting?

Last but not least: Do you recommend me to uninstall XTU and just use TS?

Thanks again!

unclewebb
Level 10
For a baseline score, I was interested in seeing a Passmark benchmark with only Intel XTU managing your CPU. After that, exit Intel XTU, make sure it is not in the system tray and then run the same Passmark benchmark with only ThrottleStop managing your CPU. Use the same multipliers and voltage settings. I think ThrottleStop is more efficient but there should not be a huge difference in performance unless your laptop has some throttling issues.

A friend recently discovered that Intel's supposedly locked CPUs are really not locked at all. By using a few tricks, he was able to increase the multiplier of his 4700MQ well beyond the Intel specifications. Check out his score on HWBot. His 4700MQ is running 1000 MHz faster than anyone else in the world. Impressive.

http://hwbot.org/submission/2839754_0.0_cpu_frequency_core_i7_4700mq_4752.7_mhz

You need a few tricks and perhaps a special bios to take advantage of what these CPUs are capable of but there is nothing available for any of the Asus laptops as far as I know. I do not know if your 4700HQ can be overclocked like this. I don't think Intel wants this info getting out to the public.

ThrottleStop might someday support this kind of extreme overclocking but at the moment, the maximum multipliers that your laptop supports is 36, 35, 34, 34. You can set ThrottleStop to 36, 36, 36, 36 but those extra multipliers will be ignored by your CPU.

I think ThrottleStop allows you to access a wider range of voltages compared to Intel XTU but I have no idea what value you should adjust any of these to. This is all trial and error. Have fun testing but be careful. It is easy to set voltages that could possibly damage your CPU.

Reducing voltage, reduces power consumption and that can improve performance because it will allow your CPU to stay in full turbo boost mode longer. Some of these voltages are only for extreme users that are trying to get the last percent out of their CPU and might not apply to the rest of us.

Unclewebb, Thank you for your comments and recommendations, this is really Top of the Line!!!

As you can see, I did some of your suggestions for the Passmark Benchmark, which show even greater results than the ones I got after your first advice you gave me! (It was 3,539.7).

This is a Benchmark comparison performed between INTEL XTU and THROTTLESTOP, here the results:

The Benchmark test has been done with the same conditions for both programs:

- Passmark Software.
- Recently booted laptop for each test.
- 36,35,34,34 Multipliers.
- (-80 mV for Dynamic CPU Voltage Offset and for the Processor Cache Voltage Offset).

RESULTS (Attached screenshots):

1.- INTEL XTU: 4,776.3 Passmark rating (Only CPU Mark Rating: 9265).

2.- THROTTLESTOP: 4,910.8 Passmark rating (Only CPU Mark Rating: 9387).

DIFFERENCE: +2.8 % (THROTTLESTOP!)
+1.3 % (CPU Mark Rating)

My Conclusion for Overclocking with this comparisson:

As you indicated previously, THROTTLESTOP uses less PC resources and allows for a better General Performance of my G750JX of +2.8% and for my CPU of +1.3%.
(I can see this in the Task Manager VERY LOW use of resources CPU & Memory).

Thank you Unclewebb! (Please let me know some of the best tricks that your friend used for his results that could apply for my CPU Model).

* Please give me your opinion about why in the XTU screen the CPU reached a 3.59 GHz (Avg of 3.47)?
That I don't understand, seems fantastic for my CPU level! (And in TS most of the time is just at 3.39 GHz).

AlexF
Level 7
Ok, here an Update:

With the same conditions of the last Tests, I just moved in TS the 4 Multipliers to 36 (Just to try!) and the results are:

Even better! I don't know if it was luck or real performance but here they are:

THROTTLESTOP: 4,946.2 Passmark rating (Only CPU Mark Rating: 9396).

unclewebb
Level 10
Can you post a screenshot of ThrottleStop while it is running 1 Thread of the built in TS Bench? The multiplier that ThrottleStop reports during this test should be close to 36. If it is being limited to 34, try using the following program.

MaxMulti
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0dpSo9k93jDcU1CWFBYZExwMFU

There are a few registers that ThrottleStop does not have access to in the chipset that can limit an overclock. My friend Dufus on the NBR forums wrote MaxMulti to help take care of problems like that. MaxMulti is 100% safe to use.

It is always fun to see those benchmark scores go up and up. Impressive that your PassMark score is only 1% away from an X99 desktop system.

For another test, try running PassMark with the ThrottleStop - Log File option selected and then copy and paste the ThrottleStop log data to www.pastebin.com and post a link so I can have a look. Just want to make sure your CPU is performing like it should.