d3fra7
Level 7
My specs:
INTEL 4790k
MAXIMUS RANGER Z97
G.SKILL TRIDENTX 2x4GB 2400
SAMSUNG 850 EVO
EVGA GTX 970

It all started on the friday at noon when my internet connection gone wild, it kept resetting, disconnecting and lagging so I contacted the ISP and they said everything is working fine and they dont see a problem.

So, we went through the standard procedure like unplug, turn off, reset the modem etc. etc. but nothing worked. I contacted the ISP for the 5th time that day and they still clame that its working as it should although they do see some strange lag spikes coming out of my pc so they arrenged technicians to me pay me a visit after the weekend.

In the meantime, Ive installed Witcher 3 and played it on ultra high settings with reshade frameworks and it worked perfectly smooth, Ive even reached level18. Finally, a couple of technicians came by on the monday and they have checked everything from cables, modem and even called the ISP to check my connection. Everything worked perfectly except that some strange lag is coming out of my pc and that I'm losing packets. After all the options and hours of figuring out what could cause the problem, the technician decided to get his own personal laptop and plugged it into my modem and it worked all fine, ping was smooth with no loss.

They came to conclusion that my pc is the issue. So, the 1st I did was of course format and reinstall Windows, same issue I still had 30% packet loss and that's where I really got worried. Ive cleared the CMOS and did the factory reset in the BIOS but the lag was still there so Ive started to remove components out of my pc like GPU, additional case fans, memory, ssd and even replaced PSU but with no luck at all. :confused:

The final thing I did was upgrade the BIOS from 2012 version to 2801 and did another factory reset but the issue still remain. Ive reinstalled Windows again and this time Ive used Secure Erase in the bios to format but I still got the packet loss. Ive called my friend if he can bring his laptop from work and his personal PC to check if there really are no issues with my connection and so he did and we tried and everything was working perfectly on his laptop and pc. So we took my pc to his place and plugged it into his router and guess what, 30% packet loss.

At this case, my connection have no issues and the only components left in my pc was the motherboard and cpu (the rest was replaced for testing) so I can only come up with the conclusion that the motherboard might be faulty 😞
9 REPLIES 9

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi d3fra7 and Welcome to ROG

Packet loss can be a multitude of things, your testing and diligence has eliminated most and, I agree it could be the NIC on the MB.
Have you tried up-dating Ethernet Lan driver?
Dust can be the cause, Static discharge or excessive heat buildup around the NIC. (Network Interface Controller)
I would remove the MB and all components that are plugged in, Carefully inspect the MB, Check for any dust collection points and use a compressed air canister to remove any build ups. Benchtest outside your case before re assy. If the NIC is failing, your going to have to remove the MB anyhow.
You've just about covered everything else.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

d3fra7
Level 7
Hi there,
I just wanted to thank you for your time and help as I tried what you said but with no luck 😞

I've disassembled the MB from the case, it wasn't dusty at all but I've still cleaned it with a anti-static cloth and blew off the tiny bits of dust off here and there, plugged the board outside the case but with no difference 😞 still 30% packet loss...

I've contacted ASUS and waited almost a week for their reply with just a simple answer "Contact a seller and ask for repair or replacement".

d3fra7
Level 7
Forgot to mention that I've also tried to install a NIC card (INTEL GIGABIT CT DESKTOP ADAPTER) which works perfectly on my old PC I just had to manually type the mac adress but no difference or whatsoever with this PC :s so strange...

chevy350
Level 10
You didn't happen to install that GameFirst program did you? If so uninstall it and recheck.
AMD 2700X, Asus ROG Strix X470-F, G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 (16gbx2), XFX RX 580, NZXT Kraken X62, Corsair 750D, SeaSonic 860W, OCZ RD400, Samsung 950 Pro 256Gb, Intel 520 120Gb SSD

d3fra7
Level 7
No no, I've format the disk twice and haven't touched any ASUS software since then. In fact, I got rid of it the first week when I bought the MB because everytime I turned the PC on it took about 5mins to establish a connection. I somehow fixed it later by putting a service on the manual startup but it wasn't much of a help anyways so I've just removed the software.

I was on Windows 7 back then but the problem started there (one day it was working perfectly and the next day BOOM, request timed out every few mins or so) and that's when I decided to upgrade to Windows 10 but I'm still losing connection so it can't be the OS either.

Any more ideas to try out before I return the MB? I appreciate them all 🙂

Puffnstuff
Level 10
I'll bet that either your winsock is corrupt or there's a problem with your lan port and since it happened with two different os's I'm inclined to believe that t's the port.
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, AMD 3900X, EVGA 360 aio, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo, Samsung 970 Pro NVME 512gb, WD Black NVME 1 TB, Crucial MX500 2tb, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP!, EVGA Nu Audio, CM HAF 932

d3fra7
Level 7
Well I've just tried Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS and no difference... 38% packets loss 😞

Puffnstuff
Level 10
Probably time to rma the board for the network adapter.
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, AMD 3900X, EVGA 360 aio, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo, Samsung 970 Pro NVME 512gb, WD Black NVME 1 TB, Crucial MX500 2tb, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP!, EVGA Nu Audio, CM HAF 932

Conners
Level 9
Before I would do an RMA methinks I would try to reset the adapter and winstock.
I would try this command in an elevated command prompt... netsh winsock reset and or these
netsh int ip reset reset.log hit
ipconfig /flushdns .... press enter
ipconfig /registerdns .... press enter

Edit: and or also try deleting driver in device manager and reinstalling...

Good Luck!