cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74S Sound problems (I think?)

Hibbs
Level 7
I attempted to use the search function but had no results...

So I actually just purchased my G74S notebook last night and so far I love everything about it...except for one thing...
the sound quality!

Maybe someone can attest to this? Does this machine just have subpar audio quality/speakers? Or am I missing something?

It sounds really weak, literally no bass, and almost like I'm sitting in a tunnel...my 5 year old macbook has similar sound.

I've updated all the drivers I can possible think of, messed around with the THX settings to no avail...

Anybody fix this issue? Or should I be out buying a decent set of headphones right now?? haha

Thanks for any and all responses.

Hibbs
4 REPLIES 4

380mcn
Level 9
yep! the speakers are cheesy! the g73 sound is awesome.. the g74 is crappy

in the end i unistalled the thx, updated realtek drivers to the 267, equalizer to powerful and ambient to forest. that is my choice of sound to the g74.

380mcn wrote:
yep! the speakers are cheesy! the g73 sound is awesome.. the g74 is crappy

in the end i unistalled the thx, updated realtek drivers to the 267, equalizer to powerful and ambient to forest. that is my choice of sound to the g74.

Did that make any noticeable difference? Ill have to try that out.

Thanks for the replies...I guess it gives me closure at least.

JRd1st
Level 12
Hibbs wrote:
I attempted to use the search function but had no results...

So I actually just purchased my G74S notebook last night and so far I love everything about it...except for one thing...
the sound quality!

Maybe someone can attest to this? Does this machine just have subpar audio quality/speakers? Or am I missing something?

It sounds really weak, literally no bass, and almost like I'm sitting in a tunnel...my 5 year old macbook has similar sound.

I've updated all the drivers I can possible think of, messed around with the THX settings to no avail...

Anybody fix this issue? Or should I be out buying a decent set of headphones right now?? haha

Thanks for any and all responses.

Hibbs

It's physically impossible to get good bass at sufficient amplitude from such small speakers. Use headphones or external speakers Or exchange that notebok for one with good sound, is my advice. The core of the G74s are great, but all around the edges they got real chintzy and practically ruined a great notebook.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Yes, the sound on the G74sx is a bit disappointing to say the least.