cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 short hiccups/freezes

HR5171A
Level 7
Hello everyone,

I have an issue since upgrading to Windows 10, the display and sound will hiccup for a split second. It is barely noticeable sometimes and might be even less than a second. This did never happen when I ran Windows 8/8.1. It happens when I listen to music, watching a video and gaming. I think it also happens when I browse the internet, but it is hard to notice. It is very noticeable when I'm watching a video or playing a gaming. It usually takes at least 1 hour before an other "hiccup" occurs. It varies a lot, though. There are no sudden CPU or HDD spikes. Everything is at normal. I tried the performance troubleshooter and nothing was found. All my drivers are also up-to-date. I have also installed all chipset drivers and LAN drivers for my motherboard from the ASUS website. The errors existed both before and after the installation of the drivers. My installation of Windows 10 is also a clean install, so I did format my SSD. Anyone else here have the same experience or have an idea what I can do? Other than to rollback to Windows 8, but it seems related to some driver to me.

For anyone having the same problems I'll type out my specs:

Windows 10 Pro N
ASUS Maximus VI HERO
Intel i5-4670K
8GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 970
Crucial M500 (SSD)

Edit: The issue seems to be caused by the Intel I217-V drivers. If you want to fix it, install any driver made before the 19.0 drivers. For example, the 18.5 drivers works good for a lot of people. If this doesn't help, go ahead and buy a USB ethernet adapter. I bought the D-Link - DUB-1312 adapter which works perfect for me (don't forget to disable the I217-V drivers in the Windows device manager). If this doesn't help either, it is probably caused by something else. Go ahead and download LatencyMon and check for high DPC spikes and see if you can find the cause. You're not ALONE - a lot of people seems to experience DPC issues with Windows 10 (a lot of ****ty drivers out there by Intel or whoever it may be from). If you still can't find any solution - try to go back to Windows 8.1 and see if this completely fixes the issues and wait for driver updates.
26 REPLIES 26

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
I have near the same setup.
Could be something wonky in power savings in pci or for the SSD. I would disable ASPM and other power savings capabilities in the BIOS. Disable them in Windows power management as well (pci and wireless adapter and USB).

Have you looked in task manager for any signs? Is your graphics card giving you TDR maybe?

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

fjura
Level 7
Man, I have the same exact problem as you, when I upgraded to w10, these ocasional mini freezes started to show up, no idea what is causing it or how to fix it sadly 😕

geneo wrote:
I have near the same setup.
Could be something wonky in power savings in pci or for the SSD. I would disable ASPM and other power savings capabilities in the BIOS. Disable them in Windows power management as well (pci and wireless adapter and USB).

Have you looked in task manager for any signs? Is your graphics card giving you TDR maybe?

Thanks for the reply. I have disabled all the ASPM and power savings capabilities in the BIOS and in the Windows power management options for the pci and USB (those I could find). The freezes still seems to exist. I have looked in the task manager, and I can't seem to see anything interesting happening. It seems like nothing extraordinary is happening at all when the "freezes" occur. No TDR messages from my graphic card, I have never gotten a message like that on my graphic card. I also upgraded my BIOS from 1301 to 1603. The freezes still occur. Before I used my G930 headset (USB connected) and I thought that might be the issue, so I'm trying now with normal headphones and will see if it helps.

fjura wrote:
Man, I have the same exact problem as you, when I upgraded to w10, these ocasional mini freezes started to show up, no idea what is causing it or how to fix it sadly 😕

Good to know I'm not alone. Could your post your specs so we could compare?

Good to know I'm not alone. Could your post your specs so we could compare?

Intel Core i5 4200H CPU 2.80Ghz, 8g RAM, 64bit processor, Nvidia GeForce GTX 760M

ByTheTime
Level 7
Same here. I get a short freeze after startup.

Maximus VI GENE, i5-4690K, 8GB Crucial Ballistics Sport, GTX960.

Any ideas yet?

HR5171A
Level 7
Sorry for not updating my post. My issue seems to have been fixed, I did another clean install of Windows 10 (after spending days of trying to find the issue). And surprisingly, the issue has not occurred again for a whole week since my reinstall. I'm not sure what caused the freezes/hiccups but it's gone now.

ByTheTime
Level 7
Hi, fixed my issue by updating IMEI.

ByTheTime wrote:
Hi, fixed my issue by updating IMEI.

Did you update the driver or firmware ?

HR5171A
Level 7
It seems like I'm back to square one. The issue is happening again.