Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Can we talk Z170 and NMVE SSDs?

Like many, I'm trying to make sense of this new wave of NVME SSDs before selecting the appropriate Asus board. As far as I understand there are two implementations of NVME, the PCIE card (Intel 750) and the M.2 (or U.2?) interface (SM 951). I can't seem to find any clear documentation on what's supported and when the hyperlink (edit: Hyper Kit) dongle is needed.

1) Do all the ROGs support both NVME SSDs through PCIE/M.2 natively? If not how does the hyper kit fit in.
    2) Does using an NVME SSD consume a PCIE 3.0 Channel? So if I ever wanted to do Dual video cards down the road I would want to make sure I have at least 3 3.0 lanes?
    3) Any other complications/issues/questions I should research? Booting issues?

As always, thanks!
    Last edited by bahamut458; 08-11-2015 at 08:59 PM.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Menthol PC Specs
    Menthol PC Specs
    MotherboardM 10 Apex / XI gene
    Processor8700K / 9900K
    Memory (part number)2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4266/2x2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4500
    Graphics Card #1RTX 2080ti / GTX 1060
    Sound CardSoundBlaster Ae5 / Onboard
    MonitorBENQ 32" 4K
    Storage #1Intel 900p 480GB/Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
    Storage #2Intel 750 1.2TB/Plextor 1 TB 2X 950 Pro
    CPU CoolerCorsair H150i AIO / H1110i
    CaseCorsair 740 ? Lian Li Air
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i / AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair
    Mouse ASUS Strix
    Headset HyperX Cloud Alpha
    Mouse Pad ASUS
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z906
    OS 10 X64 Pro
    Network RouterVerizon Fios
    Accessory #1 Intel Wifi BT pcie card
    Accessory #2 Red Bull
    Accessory #3 English Breakfast Tea

They all need pcie 3.0x4 lanes, they are all pcie, SM951 connects to an M.2 slot 3.0x4, Intel has the pcie variation that connects to a pcie 3.0 slot and uses 4 lane. the U.2 connector uses a cable to connect to the Intel 2.5" variation, still uses pcie 3.0x4 lanes. The Z100 chipset has 20 pcie 3.0 lanes so you may not be using lanes from you CPU, so not owning one yet as there is very limited quantities at the moment, there may be many possibilities for multi GPU's and the newer drives

imMortal Kombatant Array Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Rampage IV Formula
    ProcessorIntel i7 3930K
    Memory (part number)8GB Corsair XMS3 1600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Radeon 7970 3GD5
    Sound CardROG Xonar Phoebus
    MonitorSamsung SyncMaster SA300
    Storage #1Corsair Neutron 128GB
    Storage #2Seagate 2TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair A50 Pro Air Cooler
    CaseBitFenix Merc Alpha
    Power SupplyThermaltake Litepower 700W
    Keyboard Alienware TactX Keyboard
    Mouse Tesoro Gandiva H1L
    OS Win7 Ultimate x64

See now here's the thing, I have seen a couple Motherboards from other mfrs state that their E-ATX sized Z170 boards can handle up to 4 way VGA CFX/SLI. Which should be impossible because the mainstream boards are supposed to have less PCIe lanes than the HEDT channel of boards...BUT, I did recently read that PCIe lanes are being fed from PCH...soooo maybe there's now a split in PCIe delivery perhaps? I did see one mfr claim they have 40 PCIe 3 lanes on one of their boards....without one of those SLI chips between slots.
    Last edited by Myk SilentShadow; 08-12-2015 at 02:02 PM.

Hello

Those boards are using PLEX chips to increase the PCIe lanes from the CPU. Seems to be a misadventure IMO. A PLEX equipped Z170 board and a 6700K will cost as much or more than a 5820K and a X99 board.

ProcessorIntel i7 3930K
    Storage #2Seagate 2TB
    CaseBitFenix Merc Alpha
    Mouse Tesoro Gandiva H1L
    OS Win7 Ultimate x64

Yeah, you're right. One of the boards here in Aus costs $799 AUD, it's full E-ATX and says it can handle up to 4 way SLI. For that price, I could instead get the RVE and for another 30 Dollars, swap the 6700K for at least a 5820K. I thought the $799 AUD was a placeholder price, but the board is available to buy and I was shocked....it seems 1151 makes X99 a more attractive option, for just a little bit more(depending on board too I guess).

Hello

I'm sure people will purchase these boards but it's hard to imagine a situation where this would be cost effective.

ProcessorIntel i7 3930K
    Storage #2Seagate 2TB
    CaseBitFenix Merc Alpha
    Mouse Tesoro Gandiva H1L
    OS Win7 Ultimate x64

Totally agreed, the whole point of the mainstream channel is it's supposed to be cheaper, not the same price as HEDT. I was surprised when I saw the price of the 6700K retail, online.

Hello

Marketing at its best and some will most likely fall into the trap. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

ROG Member Array

I just wanted to circle back to the original topic for those who find this later.

Z170 boards have 20 PCIE lanes. On the ROG boards there are 3 full size PCIE slots, the top two are connected to the CPU and the bottom is connected to the PCH. If two graphics cards are put in the top two slots, they will default to x8 each instead of x16. NVME SSDs require PCIE 3 x4 (connected to the CPU) to get full bandwidth. Therefore the bottom slot is not ideal.

What this means, and please correct me if my research is off, is there is no way to have a single GPU in full x16 and an NVME SSD connected to CPU PCIe lanes. I realize that x8 is more than enough for modern gen graphics cards but I'm thinking forward to Pascal.

Quote Originally Posted by bahamut458 View Post
    I just wanted to circle back to the original topic for those who find this later.

Z170 boards have 20 PCIE lanes. On the ROG boards there are 3 full size PCIE slots, the top two are connected to the CPU and the bottom is connected to the PCH. If two graphics cards are put in the top two slots, they will default to x8 each instead of x16. NVME SSDs require PCIE 3 x4 (connected to the CPU) to get full bandwidth. Therefore the bottom slot is not ideal.

What this means, and please correct me if my research is off, is there is no way to have a single GPU in full x16 and an NVME SSD connected to CPU PCIe lanes. I realize that x8 is more than enough for modern gen graphics cards but I'm thinking forward to Pascal.
    Hello

While the CPU has 20 PCIe 3.0 lanes 4 are used for the DMI link. So 16 lanes for PCIe slots. Doing the math will answer your question regarding lane usage vs slot usage. There should be no real difference in performance if the SSD is using lanes from the CPU or PCH. The requirement for using CPU PCIe lanes was pre-Z170 when the PCH lanes were 2.0.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast