cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mic issue with Realtek

Ascendant
Level 7
Recently I have had an issue with my new build that my microphone barely picks anything up. Uninstalling Realtek HD Audio made my mic work loud and clear, however I would prefer to keep the realtek drivers. I have used Google and found tons of other people having issues with Realtek and mics.

Are there any Realtek settings that could be messing with my mic and is there a way to make my mic work without having to completely uninstall realtek drivers?

Basically with Realtek drivers/Realtek HD Audio manager = Mic can barely detect my voice in Steam/Skype/Playback
But without them, it works great. Does anyone know a solution besides uninstalling the Realtek drivers, which i would prefer to keep?
It seems that Realtek is extremely bad with mics, and people have no end of issues with Realtek drivers and mics.

Windows 10 Asus Maximus VII Hero GTX 980 TI i7 4790k
6 REPLIES 6

Quixote
Level 7
Ascendant wrote:
Recently I have had an issue with my new build that my microphone barely picks anything up. Uninstalling Realtek HD Audio made my mic work loud and clear, however I would prefer to keep the realtek drivers. I have used Google and found tons of other people having issues with Realtek and mics.

Are there any Realtek settings that could be messing with my mic and is there a way to make my mic work without having to completely uninstall realtek drivers?

Basically with Realtek drivers/Realtek HD Audio manager = Mic can barely detect my voice in Steam/Skype/Playback
But without them, it works great. Does anyone know a solution besides uninstalling the Realtek drivers, which i would prefer to keep?
It seems that Realtek is extremely bad with mics, and people have no end of issues with Realtek drivers and mics.

I'm sorry for asking the obvious first, but have you checked the mic's recording volume, playback volume, and then finally, the mic boost that is offered in Real Tek? When you plug the mic in, does the window come up that has the list of check-boxes and shows "Mic In" is checked, and then you push OK?

Quixote
Level 7
Ascendant wrote:

Finally, was this happening before you installed Windows 10, or has this build always had Windows 10 (Is it a new build, in other words)?

I'm sorry for asking the obvious first, but have you checked the mic's recording volume, playback volume, and then finally, the mic boost that is offered in Real Tek? When you plug the mic in, does the window come up that has the list of check-boxes and shows "Mic In" is checked, and then you push OK?

Also, is this a new build with Windows 10, or did you have another Windows version before this? If so, were you having the same problems with any previous Windows versions?

Quixote wrote:

Also, is this a new build with Windows 10, or did you have another Windows version before this? If so, were you having the same problems with any previous Windows versions?

I have checked the recording volume and have tried playback volume to test my mic. I have used Skype and Steam to test my mic aswell. I have tried mic boost in both Windows and Realtek settings with not much improvement. I also used a third party equalizer program and set the preamp to 40, which made it a lot better but didn't fix it. I ended up uninstalling that because it wouldn't work with Steam.

Whenever I plug the mic in I get the window and always click "Mic in".

I installed Windows 7 at first with the build and then upgraded. I did not have an issue with this on Windows 10 for the first few days. In addition, my other Windows 10 laptop, with a different Realtek driver and a different Realtek HD Audio manager, has no problem with this mic.

I found a much older thread on this forums where people were having a similar mic issue with their realtek systems where their mic would fade and become very quiet. I found that many users reported installing a much older Realtek driver worked. This leads me to believe my issues may have been caused by Windows automatically installing new Realtek drivers that had this driver issue. I tried installing one older driver but had no improvement. I may try installing the driver that came with my mobo and see if that improves anything. For the time being I am going without any Realtek drivers at all.

MaddBomber83
Level 7
I have a similar issue. Windows Speach Recognition says my mic is too quiet to hear. I have it on 100% and 30db boost.

In apps like teamspeak, I can be heard just fine, although I have to have max settings for it to work.

xCaptKirk
Level 7
I have similar issues here as well and have made posts etc. I wish someone would find a decent workaround because I have a pair of Sennheiser G4me Zero's and I know the mic is great (tested with IPAD, laptop etc). I've had some improvement with boost enabled and mic volume at 100 and playing with perfect voice settings but they tend to make you sound i don't know how to put it like a robot.

Hi,

Go to "Realtek HD Audio Manager" (optimized version for Supreme FX).

Select "Microphone" and disable Volume stabilizer, noise gate and noise reduction. i had the same problem, now it works perfect 🙂