cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help oc'ing my DDR3 ram (P67, Maximus IV Extreme b3)

Decoman
Level 7
I bought some new ram sticks, replacing my old 2x8 GB sticks with 4x8GB sticks.

Problem: I have only worked on overclocking my i7 2700k cpu earlier some time ago, and I have no idea how to overclock my ram.
Another problem: I made a few attemps, but the machine wouldn't boot.

So, everything is running happily at 1600MHz now, however I want to try up the frequencey on the ramsticks.

If I simply switch from 1600 to 1866MHz in the bios, with either 1.35V or 1.5V in the XMP settings, the machine doesn't post and keep turning itself off and on. And I have to flip the power switch on the PSU off and on, to have the machine boot back into the bios (at least I get it booting again).

With XMP set to 1.5V, I also tried setting the ram voltage to 1.5 manually, but that didn't help.

The new ram sticks are DDR3 "Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP", 8-8-8-24 timings (1600MHz), 1.35V

Did I perhaps miss some obvious setting for overclocking my ram frequency? If I have to tweak it somewhere, I have really no idea. I did not expect to run into any issue, going from 1600 to 1866MHz.

Alot of the CPU settings is currently running mostly on auto, with the cpu running at 4.6GHz.
3 REPLIES 3

Decoman
Level 7
I managed to get started.

I did four things, and relaxing the timings was perhaps important. 🙂

1 set xmp to "auto"
2 set voltage to 1.5
3 set frequency
4 set relaxed timings

I have my ram now running at 2133MHz with preliminary 10-10-10-30-2T timings.

Tested now with SuperPi and intend to have the machine run memtest over night.

I would like to know, assuming that there isn't anything funny with the voltage (1.5V seem trivial, xmp has a 1.5V mode), is it probably safe to have ram run at 2133MHz instead of the rated 1600MHz?

The maximum ram frequency for my board seem to be 2200MHz (OC), which would be a 37.5% increase over 1600MHz.

NemesisChild
Level 12
What is the primary reason for overclocking your memory?
If it's for gaming, the increase in FPS will be minimal at best.
Don't think running at 2133@ CL10 will yield that much more read/write speed versus 1600@ CL8.

It's not just about memory frequency speed, low latency plays a big part as well.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Decoman
Level 7
My primary reason is overall performance increase.

Testing with SuperPi, I can conclude that I am now have a solid 2.5% performance increase (on the new ram) after increasing the frequency by ca 33%. 3% increase if compared with my old ram.

😄 I wouldn't expect to see any improvement in games, but I welcome any improvement at all.

I had an error when running memtest, for test #6, however I somehow ended up using an old version of memtest, and afterwards I read that they later fixed a software bug that gave off errors for test #6, so I am hopeful that my ram will pass the next time when I try with an updated version of memtest.