cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751Jl-BSL7T28 OC? Graphics setting?

jehamann
Level 7
How can I find the frame rate of my graphics card? I know if I go through nividia geforce experience, preferences and turn on battery boost, the best frame rate I can get is 60fps (and it usually automatically goes back to 30fps) . The max refresh rate I have found on the laptop is 60hz, but I read about people running there laptops on other hz ranges, can I change it?

Can I overclock my gpu? its more or less advertised as an ovlerclockable gpu so why is there no support on the laptop?
Why is there not that much information on this laptop? I hardly come across information about my specific model laptop, does anybody else have this laptop?
3 REPLIES 3

direkJay
Level 7
I have the same laptop as yours, at least for the "ASUS ROG G751JL" part. I believe you have an i7 4720HQ processor and a GeForce GTX 965m video card? First time I saw someone with a "BSL7T28" model, because mine is "DS71"

I was able to change my screen's refresh rate from 60Hz to 75Hz without any hiccups (not really brave enough to crank it up more or I just can't find any good reason to do so, I'm just playing DotA2 or CS:GO and it looks smooth enough since I only go around 90fps-200fps). I changed it by adding a custom resolution at the Nvidia Control Panel.

As for overclocking you can use a program called MSI Afterburner and I believe it is safe to overclock around 5% more at least. And yes, surprisingly there are lesser owners of one of the cheaper versions of the G751J than the expensive one.

jehamann
Level 7
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I have the i7 with 8g ram and 2gb of graphic ram. As far as I can tell, I don't have an option (in geforce experience) to change the hz on the laptop screen. Did you download MSI Afterburner or did it come with the laptop?

direkJay
Level 7
To change the refresh rate (Hz) of the screen, you just need to right click on the desktop and click "Nvidia Control Panel" and under "Display" you select "Change Resolution" (although I think that's the default window it opens to).
Then from there you click "Customize..." and then "Create Custom Resolution" you will be then taken to a custom resolution window where you can write the "Horizontal Pixels" and "Vertical Lines" which is basically Width and Height, by default it's 1920 and 1080 and under that is where you change the Refresh Rate (Hz), I think you can safely write 75Hz there because it was proven to work on most of the G751J's and some models even comes straight out of the box at that refresh rate. You don't need to change other things unless you know what you're doing.

After adding that custom resolution, you can now switch to that at the Change resolution panel under "Custom".
You can go overclock further if you are brave enough, in 1 or 5 increments until your screen goes haywire or dead black, I would say the Green Zone is around 60-75Hz, orange zone is 75Hz-95Hz and anything above 95 or 100 is the red zone and could be dangerous. (You could break your monitor in any overclock, so do at your own risk, I'm not sure what are the odds but I haven't really heard anyone breaking their monitors from overclocking)

and as for MSI Afterburner, it's a free program you can get from the official MSI website, this is one of the most reliable GPU overclocking software that I even used for my desktop that have a non-MSI 290x. So don't let the MSI branding confuse you cause it generally works for every GPU (I heard even Intel ones, yes the video card included in CPUs)