cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking care of the battery !

A-dream
Level 7
Hi ! I just buy a GL552 for work and a bit of gaming (nothing big, league of legends, hearhstone etc). I wanted something solid for longterm since i'm moving a lot and working on it (I'm doing music).

Anyway, with my old pc (Toshiba) i really had hard time with the battery at the end (2/3 years), but i never really took care of it, and i don't want to make this mistake again.

I wanted to know a specific things, when i do long session of work or gaming (3/4 hours of music or league of legend), and that i'm home, I heard that it's better to remove the battery and use the laptop plugged in, so the battery don't have an hardtime, do you agree ?

(Also heard that its better to never let the laptop plugged if the battery is already 100%, and never let it down under 20% (let it down to 0% only 1 or 2 time a year)

Thanks for your help !
7 REPLIES 7

yfbcjw
Level 7
I was actually going to post something similar. I suspect that if you knew that you were going to be needing to use the laptop for an extended period at home removing the battery and using the power supply direct would be best. But as I'm sure you're aware the battery cannot be removed from these devices.

With this in mind I would also like to know the opinions of others for preserving the battery life of the device.

yfbcjw wrote:
But as I'm sure you're aware the battery cannot be removed from these devices.

Actually on my new ROG laptop i can remove the battery ^^ So i guess i'll do that

Revenar
Level 7
The guidelines for battery maintenance have changed a lot over the last ten years or so. The current wisdom is just to fully discharge the battery and then recharge it every 3-6 months. If you're storing the laptop for an extended period of time, then you'd want to store it at 50-75% charge instead of a full charge. The circuitry in modern laptops will not send current to a fully charged battery other than a maintenance charge, so leaving the battery installed while the laptop is plugged in won't have an effect on the battery at all.

Revenar wrote:
The circuitry in modern laptops will not send current to a fully charged battery other than a maintenance charge, so leaving the battery installed while the laptop is plugged in won't have an effect on the battery at all.

Is there a way to check if my battery does that ?

Revenar wrote:
...The current wisdom is just to fully discharge the battery and then recharge it every 3-6 months...

I wouldn't fully discharge this type of battery very often.. This is a Li ion Battery and as much as posible do not let it go below 20-15%..
Li-Ion degrades with use, so you should prefer shallow discharges. I.e., always charge it as soon as possible. This is in contrast to Ni-Cd and Ni-Mh accumulators, which do like to be fully discharged from time to time to keep their full performance. So normally you should plug in your laptop whenever possible. Another thing that is bad for Li-Ion is heat, which unfortunately laptops produce. So ideally, you'd remove the accumulator if you don't need it, and store it half-charged in a cool place. But many laptops don't work well/at all w/o their accumulator, so that's more theory.
Got the details HERE

But since G751 are integrated batteries.. so watch you temp very often, i always use my laptop with plug to a wall as much as posible to keep the performance high and to avoid using the battery.. 😄

Here are some more guidelines on Li-ion batteries

JustinThyme
Level 13
The battery is an integral part of the power delivery system. Can you run without, yes, but you can also run an 8 cylinder car with 3 spark plugs pulled too. The battery provides constant power and delivers far more current when needed for peak draws than brick ever can. Trying to use just the brick will actually cause more heat. Batteries have indeed come a very long way, especially in the last few years. Best advice I've seen here is to leave it be and not worry about it and do a discharge and recharge cycle every few months and storage at about 75%. Thats what has been determined for lithium chemistry batteries. Personally I discharge mine to shut down every two weeks or so. Works great battery lifespan is on par. Still have the original battery in my G74SX that is 3 years old and still works as good as it ever did.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

MelvinZ
Level 8
Does anyone know of a way to cap the battery charge while the charger is plugged in so I can use it at home at about 60-75% charge? I want to preserve the life of it by using the charger at home, but it kinda defeats the purpose if I keep it at 100% all the time as that still depletes the life. For the record I have the G551.