cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

random G750js shutdowns after SSD and memory upgrade

matau
Level 9
Hello everyone, i updated my g750js with a brand new ssd and 8gb ram (16gb in total) and i started to suffer from random shutdowns. The notebook shutdown completely. So far it hapanes like 2-3 times but its really annoying.

The new ssd drive is samsung evo850 and the new ram is 8gb kingston, check the attached images for ram details.

I am using slot 2 and slot 3.

Does anyone have an idea how to fix it?
8 REPLIES 8

redduc900
Level 9
Open the Memory tab and check to make sure the modules are running in dual channel. Next run either the built-in Memory Diagnostic utility, or boot to Memtest86+ installed to a thumb drive to check for RAM stability.
Laptop: Asus G750JZ

matau
Level 9

Take a look. I will test the memory now with win build in utility.

matau
Level 9
Win Memory Diagnostic did not found any problems.

redduc900
Level 9
Then something else is causing the shutdowns. Check the event viewer logs for any critical errors that were logged at the time of the last shutdown. You might also want run a chkdsk /f on the SSD from an elevated command prompt, and verify Trim is enabled on the drive by running the following command...

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

If it returns 0 (DisableDeleteNotify = 0), then Trim is active.

matau
Level 9
Trip is enable. However i found something interesting in the event logs, take a look.

matau
Level 9
I can think of two things that may cause the problem but i am not sure:

- my virtual memory is set to 200-1024mb

- i am using Intel extreme tuning utility to undervolt my cpu (however i am using same setings from years and never had a problem with shutdowns before).

redduc900
Level 9
What were the results of running chkdsk on the drive? As far as virtual memory, just let Windows manage the paging file size. And reset the CPU and cache voltage offsets back to 0. In Event Viewer, expand Windows Logs and select System and Applications, then look for critical errors there.

matau
Level 9
Hey redduc

the driver check was ok.

i out back the memory and cpu back to normal.

the event manager show samw 2 critical errors.

however from 2-3 days i dont have problems.