cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Best" DDR4 for OC-ing?

Sverre
Level 9
With a RVE MB, what would be the DDR4 RAM you could get most speed out of? Prices aside. I was thinking of Corsair 3,200MHz, but am told that it doesn't OC too well.
[/URL]
5 REPLIES 5

Nate152
Hello Sverre

The R5E supports up to 3300MHz ram but the higher the capacity the more difficult it will be to get stable. It will be up to the cpu's integrated memory controller as to what speed and capacity it can handle. To be on the safe side it might be best to go with G.Skill ripjaws 4 - 16GB - 3300MHz. There is a 3333MHz kit and a 3400MHz kit too.

Here it is at newegg but it's out of stock.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231807&cm_re=ripjaws_4_3300MHz-_-20-231-807...

Korth
Level 14
Silicon from Hynix was decidedly preferred for overclocking back when DDR4 was new. Is this still true now that DDR4 has matured a bit? Have the fine tolerances for Samsung and Micron silicon continued to lag or caught up or pulled ahead?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Silicon from Hynix was decidedly preferred for overclocking back when DDR4 was new. Is this still true now that DDR4 has matured a bit? Have the fine tolerances for Samsung and Micron silicon continued to lag or caught up or pulled ahead?

is it the same for Vram? 😄

Watercooling FTW :cool:

"essentially one of the most hardcore overclocking motherboards ever made."
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/03/24/asus_rampage_iv_black_edition_motherboard_review/7

Menthol
Level 14
This is what I would say is the best performing kit F4-3200C15Q-16GRKD, Hynix chips, XMP sets blck to 100 not 125
Korth, as far as I know it's Hynix on the X99 but the newer high frequency kits for Z170 boards seem to be Samsung so I things may be changing in the DDR4 worls

Korth
Level 14
A shame that you can't buy any sort of premium or performance DDR4 without the chips being covered by some garish "gaming" heatspreader. Stuck on, seemingly, with half a pound of the most expensive super glue they could get. I trust part markings far more than anything reported by software, lol.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]