cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux Installation issue in Dual Boot

darkangel4
Level 7
Hi everyone,
I'm having a big problem running Linux in dual boot configuration.
1. I installed it by first disabling Windows UEFI setting in SecureBoot in BIOS menu
2. Set GRUB as the master boot record in the same drive as the Windows
3. rebooted the system (no GRUB shows up)

In the end I cannot boot into Linux OS

There is no option in Boot Priorities of GRUB bootloader.

Hardware:
ASUS Maximus VII Formula
3 REPLIES 3

Adamantis
Level 7
It's working fine for me with win 8.1 and Ubuntu 15.04. In bios i have turned off both fastboot and secure boot (set to Other OS).

1. Install Windows on one drive
2. Unplug the windows drive and install Ubuntu on the other drive (or you can flip it and install ubuntu first and then windows).
3. Connect windows drive again
4. In bios i then see both Windows and Ubuntu as bootable options, i set Ubuntu as #1
5. Boot into Ubuntu, open terminal and type "sudo update-grub", grub will update and it will also find the windows drive
6. Reboot and select windows from Grub

For me that has been the simplest way to do it. To first install windows and then use the same UEFI partition when installing Ubuntu has always required a lot of extra fiddling around to get it to work.

Edit: in bios i always leave CSM on, but inside the CSM option i change boot device control so it only shows UEFI boot partitions

darkangel4
Level 7
Thanks for your help. I will give it a try!

The CSM option to only show UEFI boot devices does seem a bit buggy though. Sometimes if i have reset all bios settings i can have a big list of bootable devices, but they are all non UEFI except one UEFI for Windows and one UEFI for Ubuntu.

To solve it i have to unplug both the windows and ubuntu drives, boot the computer (with no boot drive/partition connected it will go straight into bios), shut down the computer, reconnect the drives and then it will look better with only the UEFI boot devices showing.

Anyway, hope you get it to work.