cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't upgrade to Windows 10. Says upgrade is not ready, and the ISO doesn't work!

JavierH
Level 7
Hey all,

I have an Asus 750JZ laptop and got the Windows 10 icon on my tray. Every time I try to upgrade it says it isn't ready for my model. So I donwloaded the iso file and I get to the point where it asks for my prodct key. I assume my laptop has an embedded one. So I look for it on the control panel and it has zeroes in it. The product key dialogue doesn't take zeroes.

Can I upgrade to Win10? How?
4 REPLIES 4

redduc900
Level 9
I upgraded the first time via the Win10 icon in the tray, and the second time (after a factory restore to Win8.1) using a DVD that I burned the ISO to. Neither time was I asked to provide a product key. Strange that you're being asked to provide one.
Laptop: Asus G750JZ

JavierH
Level 7
It's very strange. The dialog box says Windows 10 is being validated for my PC, and to wait until being notified that validation has passed. And when I use the ISO I'm asked for my product key. It doesn't make sense, my laptop has the OEM Windows 8.1! I don't get it.

redduc900
Level 9
You used the media creation tool from MS to download the ISO, then burned it to disk or a thumb drive? Or did you just use the tool to perform an in-place upgrade via the "Upgrade this PC now" option? And your system is up to date w/ the latest updates available through Windows Update? I don't know if this applies, but I just found this on the Win10 site...
IMPORTANT: To upgrade for free, select Upgrade this PC now in the tool. You should NOT be asked for a product key during the upgrade process. If you create a USB and use it to install, make sure to remove the USB as soon as setup begins. If you don't, you may be prompted for a product key. If this happens, remove the USB and restart your PC to continue with setup.
Laptop: Asus G750JZ

GottiBoi55
Level 10
JavierH wrote:
Hey all,

I have an Asus 750JZ laptop and got the Windows 10 icon on my tray. Every time I try to upgrade it says it isn't ready for my model. So I donwloaded the iso file and I get to the point where it asks for my prodct key. I assume my laptop has an embedded one. So I look for it on the control panel and it has zeroes in it. The product key dialogue doesn't take zeroes.

Can I upgrade to Win10? How?

Hi javierH,

You need to upgrade from your Windows 8.1 desktop with the Windows 10 USB/DVD Creator Tool.
Here's a direct link for the USB/DVD Creator Tool>>>>>> Microsoft software download/Windows10
This worked for my G750JZ, had no problem with activation it was done automatically with the embedded OEM key in BIOS.
(Used a spare 8GB USB flash drive, works perfectly)

Hope this helps my friend?
Good luck, and good gaming.

GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar