cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from G75 to G751

Anton362
Level 7
Hi! So I've been considering upgrading this laptop for a while now and found the G751, which at first clance I just thought was roughly the same but with better hardware.

However when I looked closer into the laptops I noticed a few changes from the G75 that I don't really like! for example the non removable battery and the fact that the fans are not as easy to clean, which I really like with my G75.

I use my laptop for school work and a lot of gaming. and I would like to keep the battery out of the laptop, so I dont have to care about pulling out the adapter to not break the battery, or the fact that it generates a lot of unecessary heat. Is this at all possible with the g751? I can imagine myself taking the laptop apart and reassembling it, without the battery in, but I assume this will void the warranty (and I'm not sure that works in the first place)

How would I go about cleaning the laptop fans on the G751, and how often do you usually need to do it? Is overheating a problem? bear in mind I plan to keep the future laptop for 3+ years.

Is there also any way to simply upgrade the hardware on my current G75? Without having to literally replace everything, including the motherboard. (I know that's a long shot but it never hurts to ask)

And lastly, is there a G751jy model without an SSD? I already have upgrades for those, and I dont feel like paying extra for an SSD I'll just replace of the bat.

Thanks in advance!
8 REPLIES 8

di_Valenti
Level 7
1. Battery built in - originally I thought was an issue - isn't - works fine, no heat, just leave it plugged in - I never run my battery down under about 90% on high performance - and it lasts bit on that - maint. charging seems to be automatic and the less you discharge the battery the longer the life... personally I wouldn't worry about the battery on this system.

2. fans, the ports are large enough that I haven't had any heat build up even with gaming all day (in Florida) which is ambient heat+operational heat = still very cool system temp wise.

Cleaning doesn't seem to be much of an issue - I am not seeing any major dust build up on it and I check it regularly for such - as it's new and was expensive, I am watch-dogging it a lot - since it's also a new model... seems fine, and I am pretty sure you can access all the major interior parts to blow out simply from the underside plate being removed, the DVD being open and the fan and side ports... it's pretty easy to clean that way - and the top can come completely off with only a few screws to get under the keyboard if you really need to clean it - but I don't see that being maybe more than say once a year or so...

On the SSD and upgrading - I haven't seen Asus do anything that can be upgraded - at least not without a lot of guess work and all - my older G71 was supposed to be able to go from a 9800m to a 2GB something a rather - but all the upgrade videos I ever say where not on a Quad core, and didn't seem to all be saying the same thing... the G75, probably is the same deal...

I have looked at both systems and personally I like the G751 better now then when I first got it - I kind of ordered it, thinking yep... this is the one, then I got it, and kind of looked at it a bit sideways - WIndows 8.1 Home...ugh... and also RAM and all that on the JY... but - I really like it now that I have had it a couple months... and it's been very solid performance wise, looking to go to Windows 10 Pro on it shortly (have done so on the G71 as a test bed), and I will probably keep this as my main system for as long as your planning or longer... I just got rid of a 2000 Dell, and I have still another laptop that is likely 7-8 years old, and then G71 is a 2009, so I keep mine a while and use them daily... so I can at least say that they are good everyday plugged in performers w/o major issues. from my experience with Asus.

Hope that helps... oh and the SSD - I would just keep the one you have as a back up or put it in as a second one for the G751... the SSD in it for the OS is smaller, and I can think that he SSD in the secondary would be a nice addition, but also as a backup SSD if you choose to keep the spinning one in... one can never have too many HDs around. 🙂

JustinThyme
Level 13
At some point you will have to take it apart to clean the fans. No its not as easy as the older models because things are more compact. If you feel you need to do that in the first year maybe you should consider a couple of things. One not using the machine in a filthy environment or two not use it so much where a major service is needed that soon. Go play some sports or something instead.

The battery being integrated makes it a bit harder to replace but Im not sure where you are coming from with it causing too much heat and pulling out the adapter breaking the battery. The battery is an integral part of the power delivery system. Can you run without, yes, but you can also run an 8 cylinder car with 3 spark plugs pulled too. The battery provides constant power and delivers far more current when needed for peak draws than brick ever can. Trying to use just the brick will actually cause more heat.

I dont think ASUS will customize a laptop just to suit your needs of how many drives of what type. Thats why they offer several different models. You just have to decide which one suits your needs best and go with it. I just upgrade mine from a G74sx that was 3 years old but still works fine. The wife and kids killed their toshiba miserably so they inherited the G74 and I bout a G751. Much like you I didnt want to pay for an installed SSD so I chose a model without one. The caveat to that is you also take a step down in graphics too which I am fine with. Im more interested in raw processing power than I am graphics that will run everything on the planet at the highest setting just for bragging rights as Ill seldom even use that and when I do I can accept dialing back a notch from max just fine. Lets face it, in the world of electronics no matter what you get it will be obsolete in a month or two. Mine has the gtx 965M which is not the gtx 980m but leagues ahead of the gtx 560m that is in the G74sx with the CPU being an i7 2630QM in the G74 and now an i7 4720HQ which is leaps above the old with speed 1ghz more. Does the maxed out version look nice, well yes but Im not going to spend just short of $3K on a laptop when I can spend $1100 instead and just have graphics that are not quite as good and spend $200 on upgrading the SSD to a better performing Samsung 850 pro 512gb for just over $200 and add another $100 to have 32GB of RAM over the 16 that came with it. I do have to say that the price point separation and what you get for that is ridiculous.

Lastly there is nothing you can do to upgrade your old cpu. The g75 was mobo chipset is made for the ivy bridge and you can only install an ivy bridge processor. The G751 is for the haswell processor. While Ive not done it I have heard that the G75 GPU can be upgraded but its not as simple as just dropping a new GPU in.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Anton362
Level 7
Thanks for your replies!
Guess I dont have to be so worried about the overheating or battery. And no, I dont plan on using it in a "filthy" environment, or have it on constantly, I didn't see fan cleaning as a major service since I'm used to it only being a process of unscrewing one plate and then cleaning. Going from that to cleaning becoming a major service is what bothered me, and I simply wanted to know how often that generally have to be done.

And what I meant with battery breaking was, if I keep it plugged in to the adapter, causing it to go to like 99% and then back to 100% constantly, it will break. So I think you misunderstood me there 🙂

Upgrading the G75 wasn't something I was *seriously* seeing as an option, was asking mostly out of interest.

Anyways thanks for your replies!

Anton362 wrote:
Thanks for your replies!
Guess I dont have to be so worried about the overheating or battery. And no, I dont plan on using it in a "filthy" environment, or have it on constantly, I didn't see fan cleaning as a major service since I'm used to it only being a process of unscrewing one plate and then cleaning. Going from that to cleaning becoming a major service is what bothered me, and I simply wanted to know how often that generally have to be done.

And what I meant with battery breaking was, if I keep it plugged in to the adapter, causing it to go to like 99% and then back to 100% constantly, it will break. So I think you misunderstood me there 🙂

Upgrading the G75 wasn't something I was *seriously* seeing as an option, was asking mostly out of interest.

Anyways thanks for your replies!

Aside from a bizarre opinion on what keeping your laptop on a lot implies... I can assure you that this is no cause for concern. I burn mine 24/7 and have been doing so for a good 8 months with just occasional down time.

I've done this for nearly 20 years now, essentially since I've had always on internet, though only the past 8 has my primary PC been a laptop. Regardless roughly once a year or so I clean my system and get the dust out, double or triple this frequency if you smoke around your PC.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Your battery will not "break". Simply let it deplete to shut down once a month (I do my every two week minimum) then plug it back in. No worries. FWIW, and not that it really matters, Im not the average user here by a long shot. Im old enough to be grandfather to most all though my kids are 13 and 16. I was 38 when my oldest was born. First PC I built was running a 8088 cpu at a whopping 4.77Mhz. HDDs did not exist. Im an electronics engineer by profession specializing in uninterruptible power supplies on massive enterprise data center scales. Batteries are an integral part of that so im very well versed in battery applications and chemistry.

Fan cleaning is still no major service, just not as easy. The only problem is when you crack it open enough to do that you will void the warranty. I've already had mine open to get to the stock RAM and change it all out, took me about 5 mins to get it open and replace the RAM that's under the keyboard and you cant tell I was in it.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Your battery will not "break". Simply let it deplete to shut down once a month (I do my every two week minimum) then plug it back in. No worries. FWIW, and not that it really matters, Im not the average user here by a long shot. Im old enough to be grandfather to most all though my kids are 13 and 16. I was 38 when my oldest was born. First PC I built was running a 8088 cpu at a whopping 4.77Mhz. HDDs did not exist. Im an electronics engineer by profession specializing in uninterruptible power supplies on massive enterprise data center scales. Batteries are an integral part of that so im very well versed in battery applications and chemistry.

Fan cleaning is still no major service, just not as easy. The only problem is when you crack it open enough to do that you will void the warranty. I've already had mine open to get to the stock RAM and change it all out, took me about 5 mins to get it open and replace the RAM that's under the keyboard and you cant tell I was in it.

I got you beat!... mine is 27! ... she's walking on here own, and eating solid food, and dressing herself... and married and having her own kids...lol. what is that they say... my kid is 9,855 days old and all that as a joke...

I agree with you on the battery also - I did however hear something just recently that the newest chemistry the less you discharge the battery the longer it lasts - let me see if I can find a link to the battery bit here... *googles*... ah, found... this bit - just a bit I hear, not sure if it applies or is valid but worth checking into I guess.

https://youtu.be/ewz4edoqX5I?t=97 at the point of that bit in the video for speed sake.

di_Valenti
Level 7
here are some images of the G751 w/o it's top and from the bottom...

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/25/54fa26090d994714a8d8cf3925a60663.jpg

http://rog.asus.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/g751-upgrade-guide-5.jpg

As you can see it's pretty much one big flat board in there - with some odds and ends - note in the top when the DVD removed there is a very large open area that you can use to blow air into... without having to take the top off and it will all basically blow out through the fan units - if you don't let dust build up in side - and it would have to be a pretty dusty place... (I have a computer room with fans going but two cats helping the cause-and I don't have much in the way of dust or cat hair issues)... you can stick the air can tube right in there and give it some good hits... same with other holes in the case on the other side and bottom... but again it's very easy to take the top off if you really need a cleaning... but the way it's built, I don't think you will have any major issues with it ever building up inside the case, it's very well setup to vent out.

JustinThyme
Level 13
If I started having kids fresh out of school my oldest would be 35. I chose to wait instead. I was 38 when the 16 YO was born. Both of my kids college educations were paid in full before they were born as well as being mortgage free. I wouldn't change any of it. I got to live and get the wild out before having kids and be financially stable and pretty much set. Nice to see Im not the only old fart here.

Lithium chemistry batteries actually dont need any maintenance. The hold no memory and don't really need the full discharge and recharge. I do it out of habit. It wont be long before we are seeing more lithium based cells in larger applications, particularly lithium polymer or LIPO for short. That chemistry is capable of producing very high current for an extended period. At the minute they are still unstable when being charged. I use them for another hobby, RC cars. with the LIPO batteries and brushless motors the days of the little tiny engines are over. Its amazing to see a 1/8 scale car that weighs in at about 15 lbs and 18 inches long doing 100mph.