cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Formula-Z RAM issue

SterlingPhoenix
Level 7
Hello everyone,

I've searched and found similar problems but no solution, really...

I just built a new system around the Crosshair V Formula-Z. Loving it so far, but I'm having an annoying RAM issue.

I got two 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro sets of RAM. When I put them all in, the BIOS sees all four (although it doesn't automatically detect the speed):

But it only recognises 16GB rather than 32GB:

No matter which pair I put in which channel, it shows up like that. When I boot in to Windows it says the system has 32GB, but can only use 16GB.

I then found out that if I put RAM in channel 2, with no RAM in channel 1, it doesn't see it at all and the system won't boot (I don't know if that's normal or not).

I've tried this with all the settings on Auto, with forcing the RAM speed to the correct one (DDR2400), adjusting the RAM voltage to 1.65v, and adjusting the NB voltage to 1.25v.
No other adjustments or overclocking.

Motherboard has both 8pin and 4pin power connected.

Other than this issue, the system is 100% stable.

So... not sure if I'm missing something, or if it's a bad board, or what. Anyone have any ideas?

Relevant specs:

Board: Crosshair V Formula-Z motherboard, updated to latest BIOS.
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro CMY16GX3M2A2400C11R (x4)
CPU: AMD FX-9590
PSU: Seasonic SnowSilent 1050W

TIA!
8 REPLIES 8

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Send the kits back and get a single 32GB kit, problem solved. You're always better off using one kit, easier to work with and less frustration. And besides, wouldn't it have been cheaper to buy a single 32GB kit, compared to 2 16GB kits?

I dunno. when I just take one kit (so 2x8GB, that came together in a package), put one in A1 and the other in A2, the system does not see the DIMM in A2. Same for B1 and B2 - it only sees B1. Again, that's a single kit.

edrak
Level 10
Try to run one stick at a time on the 2nd slot from the processor, if it boots without problem the ram is good; however, if it fails to boot then you need to RMA the RAM. Sounds like one of your sticks of RAM is either corrupted or was flawed

edrak wrote:
Try to run one stick at a time on the 2nd slot from the processor, if it boots without problem the ram is good; however, if it fails to boot then you need to RMA the RAM. Sounds like one of your sticks of RAM is either corrupted or was flawed

Well, I've already run memtest86+ on each individual DIMM, but they were all in A1 at the time. But I tried your suggestion, too - all four booted with no problems at all. I'm pretty sue the RAM is not the issue at this point...

I have a related problem. I have just finished assembling a PC with the Crosshair MB, AMD 9590, I have a single set of 2X8 gig sticks, Corsair Vengeance . I can use each of them one at a time but not together. With both sticks installed in slots 1 and 3 the computer will not post. and I get a 50 error code. This is the 2nd set of DRAM sticks I have used the first clearly had one that was bad. I see this is a issue with others. For my present use 8 gig's is plenty but I would like to make use of the 2nd 8 gig stick. Is there a solution?

transmaster wrote:
Is there a solution?

I've not found one that works for me yet, but other people have found that their CPU pins were bent, causing this very issue. I took macro shots of my CPU and went over it in great detail, but you might want to look into that. It seems to be the most common cause.

chrsplmr
Level 18
AMD cpus are finicky about ram. If you can try some other ram.
and .. a set is always better than two. best of luck. keep us posted. .c.

Welcome to ROG.

SterlingPhoenix
Level 7
OK, I ended up replacing the motherboard. New one works just fine. All the RAM shows up and is used. So, it was a bad motherboard all along.

Course now Windows 10 decided it's a new computer so it's no longer activated... grr.