cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rare Start up hang on Black Screen Q code AE

Matthew_F
Level 7
HI Guys

Need some advice and help, I am some times getting problem where PC hangs on Black Screen with a Q Code =AE - "Legacy Boot" at Startup just after POST this happens very rarely. Anyone got any idea what could be causing this issue and what possible resolution.

Specification
Windows 7 64bit
Bios - 1401
Asus Rampage V MB
Intel 5960x CPU
HyperX XMP Predator Series 16GB (4x 4GB) 2800MHz CL15 DDR4 DIMM
2 x ASUS GTX 980 SLI Graphics
512 GB Samsung Pro 840 SSD = (OS Windows 7 64Bit)
1 TB Western Digital Velociraptor Hard drive = (Storage Drive)
Corsair 1500i PSU
Corsair 100i GTX Water Cooler
12 REPLIES 12

mikejr83
Level 7
I'm seeing this when booting to Win10 as well. I've been having this issue often, though. I really think it's an issue with UEFI, CSM, and secure boot. I'm also having problems booting to Ubuntu 15.04. I've had the issue on 1502 and 1601.

I haven't been able to isolate a set of variables which can be tested. I thought it may be temperature related or something to do with my hardware. I think I've eliminated the temperature issue because it happens right after I shutdown after the machine has been on a while and then try to boot or if the machine has been off overnight. I've run the stressapptest in ubuntu for an hour on my memory and it reported no hardware errors. I also cleared CMOS and have tinkered with the CSM and secure boot settings to try and get everything working.

Can someone tell me how to get screenshots out of the BIOS screens? I'll post my exact settings here but would like to just do screen grabs if possible. I'll try to do this when I get home from work

mikejr83 wrote:

Can someone tell me how to get screenshots out of the BIOS screens?

With an USB pendrive connected to your system, press the F12 key.

Chino wrote:
Normally the AE QCODE is caused by an incompatible USB device.

That is an interesting comment... I've been running fine for two days but haven't plugged all my USB items back in. I have an older memory reader that I used for CF cards and a controller for my flight simulator that may cause some issues. Any idea what USB devices typically cause this issue?

I have some testing to do now.

Chino wrote:
With an USB pendrive connected to your system, press the F12 key.

Thanks. I'll post what I have along with a list of USB devices that are connected at boot.

Since Matthew seems to have the issue on a less often occasion I'm thinking USB could be the issue. Matthew, any idea of what USB items you have plugged in?

mikejr83 wrote:
I have an older memory reader that I used for CF cards and a controller for my flight simulator that may cause some issues.

Can go either way. But my bet is on the controller for your flight sumulator. 😛

mikejr83 like chino mentioned to me before make sure all you USB devices have there firmware updated as may cause issues with ne X99 chip set

Thanks for the reply guys

USB devices Ive got are Razer DeathStalker keyboard, and Corsair extreme gaming Mouse,i also have PS4 Game pad.

Think Chino has hit the nail on the head regarding USB devices being incompatible.

Need your opinions on new BIOS 1502 and recent 1601 Ive been doing lot reading about them and been getting mixed opinions the question is are they Stable and do they fix lot bugs problems

mikejr83
Level 7

That was my problem. When that is plugged into a USB 3.0 slot the machine will refuse to boot Win10. I haven't tried in the USB 2.0 slots but there will be a note that now goes on the front of the computer alerting everyone that if it doesn't turn on check for the InterLink controller.

Ouch.

Matthew_F
Level 7
lol cant you get firmware update for it? see http://www.realflight.com/products/gpmz4520.html

This page talks about updating the controller http://www.realflight.com/freeupdates/index.html

there must be update page hope this helps

Note you should still be able use the controller dont have it plugged in at start up!!