cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Card Trouble on Asus G75VW

Redemntion
Level 7
My computer recently crashed while I was playing one of my video games. Upon restarting, it had trouble running games smoothly. I found in the device manager that my graphics card was no longer working properly. Specifically, it says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)". Also, it appears to be using a generic "Microsoft Basic Display Driver" in place of my Nvidia driver. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the graphics drivers but it has no effect. I'd appreciate any other suggestions.

Here are some of the specs of my computer:
Intel Core i7 2.3 GHz
12 GB RAM
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Nvidia Geforce gtx 660M 2GB
5 REPLIES 5

Noe_de_la_Garza
Level 7
same computer same problem. I gave up and ordered a gpu from ebay. but the 670m not 660 i hope it works, i have seen some posts that they are compatible. it arrives on wednesday. will let you know once i put it in.

How much was the GPU? Also, I've read that while the GPU slot on the mother board is compatible the mounting screws and the heatsink for the 660m might not work with the 670m. Do let me know what happens though.

Noe_de_la_Garza
Level 7
They average about $200. It actually looks the same, I should get the card tomorrow. But I am pretty sure it fits. I got mine with the Hot Sink just in case. The only thing that could be different are the mounting screws, but I doubt it. My Main concern is what i need to do to get it running. If I have to do any script, driver, bios adjustments to integrate new card to the system. I am not a very techy guy, so I guess I will take it on step at a time.

Redemntion
Level 7
You will most likely need new drivers since it's a completely different piece of hardware. You'll probably need to boot into safe mode if you're using Windows so it uses a basic driver. You can then download and install the new driver from the Nvidia site. I'm not sure if you'll be required to uninstall your old driver for the original GPU but that might be something to do just to be on the safe side.

I think I remember that a BIOS is going to need to be modified since the VBIOS is part to the BIOS? I Would search around a bit I remember some one modding BIOS for upgraded Video Cards?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro