cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What G751 to buy

Anton362
Level 7
Been looking around to buy a new laptop, and wonder which one of these you guys think is the "best".
I plan to use the laptop for 3+ years for mainly gaming and want steady performance.
Price is not a big issue, but of course I want to get the most out of my money.

ASUS ROG G751JY-T7004H
Intel® Core™ i7 Mobile 4710HQ
nVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 4 GB GDDR5
16 GB RAM
1 TB harddrive with 256 GB SSD
Cost about 180 Euro

ASUS G751JT-T7036H
Intel® Core™ i7-4710HQ Processor
Nvidia GTX970M 3 GB GDDR5
8 GB RAM
1 TB hardrive with 128 GB SSD
Cost about 160 Euro

Asus G751JT
Core i7, 4720HQ
8 GB RAM
GeForce GTX 970M, G-Sync 3 GB, GDDR5
1 TB hard drive with 128 GB SSD
Costs about 170 Euro

Another question, it was my understanding every G751 had G-sync, but it is only advertised on one of these. Is that just the store trying to make it look like it has extra fetaures, or is this really the only one with G-sync out of these three?
17 REPLIES 17

Nader
Level 8
Either Asus ROG JT Or JY Both Are Satisfying. JY is not really Worth the Extra Money for about 10 FPS Gain. Turning Down 1 Setting Down on Ultra will give you those 10 FPS. If you Have Extra money to spend save for the future Mobile Phone or so.

Haven't had any thing to complain about for JT.
JY is great too but not that great compared to gtx970m jt.

aeolisio
Level 10
Anton362 wrote:
Been looking around to buy a new laptop, and wonder which one of these you guys think is the "best".
I plan to use the laptop for 3+ years for mainly gaming and want steady performance.
Price is not a big issue, but of course I want to get the most out of my money.

ASUS ROG G751JY-T7004H
Intel® Core™ i7 Mobile 4710HQ
nVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 4 GB GDDR5
16 GB RAM
1 TB harddrive with 256 GB SSD
Cost about 180 Euro

ASUS G751JT-T7036H
Intel® Core™ i7-4710HQ Processor
Nvidia GTX970M 3 GB GDDR5
8 GB RAM
1 TB hardrive with 128 GB SSD
Cost about 160 Euro

Asus G751JT
Core i7, 4720HQ
8 GB RAM
GeForce GTX 970M, G-Sync 3 GB, GDDR5
1 TB hard drive with 128 GB SSD
Costs about 170 Euro

Another question, it was my understanding every G751 had G-sync, but it is only advertised on one of these. Is that just the store trying to make it look like it has extra fetaures, or is this really the only one with G-sync out of these three?

The difference between the 980m and 970m are more than 10fps in most cases I personally wouldnt purchase a g751 without the 980m and i have used over 30 g751s of many different configurations at work. Not to meantion the drivers will always be more optimized towards flagship products so the difference between them will increase as new games are released and dx12 will widen the gap. People will have various value opinions would you be better served choosing the cheapest option and putting that money towards the next laptop. Would the difference in price change your upgrade plans and mean you putting a pcie ssd sm951in place of one of the drives allowing you to load games faster. Maybe your only playing non intensive games and a 970 is more then enough for you. Its all subjective but if your trying to play the newest games at highest settings for the longest period of time than the 980m would be the best choice.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8585/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980m-970m-mobile-maxwell-gm204/3
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

aeolisio wrote:
The difference between the 980m and 970m are more than 10fps in most cases I personally wouldnt purchase a g751 without the 980m and i have used over 30 g751s of many different configurations at work. Not to meantion the drivers will always be more optimized towards flagship products so the difference between them will increase as new games are released and dx12 will widen the gap. People will have various value opinions would you be better served choosing the cheapest option and putting that money towards the next laptop. Would the difference in price change your upgrade plans and mean you putting a pcie ssd sm951in place of one of the drives allowing you to load games faster. Maybe your only playing non intensive games and a 970 is more then enough for you. Its all subjective but if your trying to play the newest games at highest settings for the longest period of time than the 980m would be the best choice.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8585/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980m-970m-mobile-maxwell-gm204/3

Thanks! Looks like I'll go for the JY then. Does anyone know if they all support G-sync, or do I need to buy one that specifically states it has G-sync in order to have it?

aeolisio wrote:

GTX970M is the SECOND Best Mobile GPU In The Market , So you are Underestimating The Capabilities of the GPU. I Run ALL My Games on Ultra and my Frame Rate is from 50-60 FPS.

Both GTX970M and 980m are flag ship too and DX12 Will Increase DX11 Graphic Card performance instead of widing the gap it would Narrow it because gtx970m will preform like gtx980m as soon as DX12 Is released. And with 60 KHZ Refresh Rate, Having more Framerate than 60 is Pointless for GTX980M For example.

Both Graphic Cards Are Future Proof for the next 2 years.
End of the story. And both are the Main Flag ships of 900M Series.

Nader wrote:
GTX970M is the SECOND Best Mobile GPU In The Market , So you are Underestimating The Capabilities of the GPU. I Run ALL My Games on Ultra and my Frame Rate is from 50-60 FPS.

Both GTX970M and 980m are flag ship too and DX12 Will Increase DX11 Graphic Card performance instead of widing the gap it would Narrow it because gtx970m will preform like gtx980m as soon as DX12 Is released. And with 60 KHZ Refresh Rate, Having more Framerate than 60 is Pointless for GTX980M For example.

Both Graphic Cards Are Future Proof for the next 2 years.
End of the story. And both are the Main Flag ships of 900M Series.

First off there is no such thing as future proof there could be a major breakthrough tomorrow. Secondly dx12 reduces cpu bottlenecking which will allow the 980 to no longer be bottlenecked as much in many titles making the gap increase not to mention the memory usage will increase as titles develop and as the 980 has more memory the performance gap will further increase. Refresh rate is also not limited to 60. Theres nothing wrong with a 970m but please dont spread misinformation take 2 minutes and google something.
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

joshindaphils
Level 11
It must explicitly state G-Sync for official support.

Unofficial support only exist in a very limited capacity at the moment. If you want the feature it is best to by a G-Sync model.

AQUASTEVAE
Level 8
i agree with all that aeolisio had to say.

there are many, many, many posts of people with this laptop who don't have g-sync, and still have unreal excellent gaming performances. it is NOT the end all be all of gaming. with plenty of gaming memory, an excellent ssd and the 980m graphics card, your gaming experience should be great.

pm'd you some information on the jy...
CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME - 65-inch UHD 4k SAMSUNG Q8FN - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - NZXT Kraken X72 - 10 SIRIUS LOOP/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 64GB GSkill TRIDENTZ NEO 3600Mhz DDR4 - 3X XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB NVMe SSD'S- 2X CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe SSD'S - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech wireless KRAFT advanced keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 11

Nader
Level 8
if I were the Opp I would wait for the GTX990M Version.
Unless you are on Holiday and cant wait until you get a new laptop.

clockworksatan
Level 7
I got the JT and am more than happy with it; it plays the games I want to play at maximum detail and super smooth. Of course, I would've loved the JY but my budget wasn't going to stretch the extra £400 it was going to cost.
Asus ROG G751JT-T7115H
17.3" IPS, Intel i7-4720HQ, 16Gb RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX970m, 256Gb M.2 SSD + 1Tb SSHD