cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UEFI, aint got a clue, do i.............

Daytrader
Level 11
UEFI, aint got a clue, do i need to do anything special when i install win 7 or 10 onto my new pc useing the hero viii motherbard ? i came across the link below, all i have ever done in the past is chuck my operating system disc in the drive and install, if i dont install win 7 or win 10 as uefi, does that mean i wont see the fancy hero viii bios screens, i have only ever installed win xp before, and that had the old black and white low res bios, im really confused about this UEFI thing.

https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20150609153048030&board_id=1&model=Z97-DELUXE&page=1&SLangua...
18 REPLIES 18

Desmond86
Level 7
Yes, enable CSM in BIOS and install Windows 7 in UEFI mode after preparing the flash drive:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?74220-Windows-7-Install-quot-A-required-CD-DVD-drive-devic...

Nate152
You can probably let csm on auto and install windows with the windows dvd and your optical drive. Be sure sata configuration is set to AHCI if you're using an AHCI drive, you can check on the advanced tab.

To do a uefi install, on the boot tab your optical drive might be listed twice, select your optical drive with uefi in front of it and install windows. uefi gives faster boots than a regular install.

After windows installs I'm not sure if your drive will be listed twice and have uefi in front of it, but if it does select it as the first boot device and you should be good to go.

Menthol
Level 14
Nate, is correct as usual, either way the fancy ASUS boot screen will appear unless you disable it in the bios boot menu.
It takes awhile to get used to the UEFI bios if you've never been in one but after awhile it is much better and ASUS has the best bios

Daytrader
Level 11
Thankyou guys, another question to save me making another thread and looking stupid, when i connect my ssd hard drive that i want my new windows install on, what intel sata port do i connect it to, there is no numbers on them, last time i installed a os on a drive i had to make sure hard drive was connected correctly, cheers

Daytrader wrote:
Thankyou guys, another question to save me making another thread and looking stupid, when i connect my ssd hard drive that i want my new windows install on, what intel sata port do i connect it to, there is no numbers on them, last time i installed a os on a drive i had to make sure hard drive was connected correctly, cheers

Any Intel SATA port is fine, connecting in sequential order is not required.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Nate152
Just make sure your ssd is connected to any intel sata port, as NemesisChild says order doesn't matter. If you're not sure which ports are which take a look in your manual. If you only have an optical drive and an ssd or two you can connect them all to intel sata ports and skip installing the asmedia sata driver all totegether.

Daytrader
Level 11
Yeh, i am only connecting a ssd for the os and sata hard drive for my games etc, yeh i was not going to bother to install the asmedia sata driver anyway, as 6 x intel sata is plenty, thx alot guys, on a side note my i7 6700K arrived today, but i aint happy, chucked through my letter box and crushed, i checked and chip looks ok, but i guess i wont know until i get it running.

Nate152
Oh wow

There should be a round seal where you open the box, was it already opened?

The box looks crushed but It should still be ok unless they set something real heavy on it. You might want to contact the delivery service and tell them your packaged was smashed. 😉

It's not funny, they should have more care for packages such as a cpu.

Daytrader
Level 11
No seal was intact, i have sent thouse photos off to the company i bought chip from.