cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Hero - PLX? And SLI on Skylake...

Saintfurion
Level 7
Just curious if anybody knows if the VIII Hero uses a PLX chip for extra PCIe lanes like the Extreme?

The reason I ask is that there are some reports from early adopters that the PLX chips add too much latency and there are users even with "simple" dual SLI setups that are having terrible performance on z170 boards.

I know it's early, but anybody out there successfully using SLI on a Skylake platform with good performance that can chime in? Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2

Praz
Level 13
Saintfurion wrote:
Just curious if anybody knows if the VIII Hero uses a PLX chip for extra PCIe lanes like the Extreme?

The reason I ask is that there are some reports from early adopters that the PLX chips add too much latency and there are users even with "simple" dual SLI setups that are having terrible performance on z170 boards.

I know it's early, but anybody out there successfully using SLI on a Skylake platform with good performance that can chime in? Thanks.

Hello

Neither the Hero nor the Extreme has a PLX chip.

Sparhawk765
Level 7
I am one of those that has terrible performance on my new VIII Hero. I got this motherboard and a new 6700K the other day and switched out my old Rampage IV Ex and a 4820K (Yea, I know, a sidegrade at best) and doing this my performance dropped by 20-40%. I'm using 2 Gigabyte 980 G1 Gaming cards in SLI.

Comparing the two setups there is no reason whatsoever that performance should drop. Already logged a case with Asus about this but it seems ppl are having trouble getting anywhere on this.

EDIT: Just got a phonecall from Asus support and they claimed that it's to be expected going from 16X -> 8X which according to everything I have ever read on the subject makes little to no difference in performance...