cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Hero Big Difference Between CPU VID and CPU Core

Feng_Io
Level 7
I am a fairly novice builder so I apologize if I am doing something silly/have a silly question. I am configuring a VIII Hero motherboard with i5-6600K and am very concerned about the voltages. Namely the values I set in BIOS seem to be largely ignored and there is a rather large gap between CPU Core and VID when the system is running.

So starting at the default BIOS values all I changed was the voltage mode. I set it manually to 1.2, booted up (win10 if that has an impact), and checked CPU-Z (ROG Version) and HWMonitor. At idle I see anywhere between .02-.1 additional value for VCore (1.22v to 1.3v). At load I see a deeply concerning 1.35v being set of VCore. I thought maybe I had a bad chip so I checked the CPU VID. As I understand it this is the voltage the cores are requesting and here I see much more reasonable values well below 1.2v.

Am I just confused about what these numbers and terms mean? Do I have some setting in BIOS set incorrectly? The .1-.2v difference between VID and VCore is freaking me out a little. In addition I can't seem to fix the peak voltage supplied correctly in order to setup the OC. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I did some more experimenting: It seems I am missing something major as I seem to have no control at all over VCore. I set BIOS value to manual at 1.25 and increased the multiplier. When I stress the CPU the VCore jumps to rather scary 1.4V. I double checked I am on latest BIOS v401 and all the monitors tools are up to date and supposedly support this platform.
6 REPLIES 6

Raja
Level 13
Don't use CPU-Z to check Vcore on this platform. It needs an update. If you are setting Vcore manually (manual mode), the Vcore is close to VID.

Don't use CPU-Z to check Vcore on this platform. It needs an update. If you are setting Vcore manually (manual mode), the Vcore is close to VID.

I checked the VCore value with CPU-Z, HWMonitor, and Aida64. Are they all broken? If so, is there a tool I should be using? Thanks for taking a look.

Feng Io wrote:
I checked the VCore value with CPU-Z, HWMonitor, and Aida64. Are they all broken? If so, is there a tool I should be using? Thanks for taking a look.

AI Suite is correct. That is assuming you are setting manual voltage correctly as well.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
AI Suite is correct. That is assuming you are setting manual voltage correctly as well.

Thanks for letting me know. It seems that Aida64 values agree with AI Suite 3 so my issues aren't purely tool related. As for setting it correctly, all I did was start from the default BIOS (updated to 401) and change the "CPU Core/Cache Voltage" from "Auto" to "Manual" and set the override value. Did I leave something out?

While the manual and offset mode are still giving me problems adaptive seems to be working fine atleast when I specify the offset value too. Now VCore closely follows VID, and gap is much more reasonable: 0.03-0.05v. The plan was to switch to Adaptive after stress testing; guess I just have to remember to not stick to RealBench for that (to not run into AVX related voltage adjustments).
|

Menthol
Level 14
Have you read the overclocking guide? There is always some difference between the 2 readings, nothing to be alarmed, from the reviews I have read the voltages you state above are not that alarming, pay more attention to the core temperatures. Once the 6700K becomes more available there will be a lot more posts for this platform with owners experiances

There is always some difference between the 2 readings

A small difference I understand, but the differences I am seeing are rather large. Namely setting the BIOS value to manual@1.25 and then cranking up the multiplier, I see the VCore value going up to 1.4V. If I wasn't so nervous about the values I am sure I could push the gap higher. The Asus rep reply indicates maybe I shouldn't trust the VCore value. I am hoping that the tools are the issue, but I would need a way to make sure I am not pushing arbitrary voltage across the chip.