cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS X99 Deluxe and SM951 AHCI M.2 Issue

chrisk2305
Level 7
Hi Guys,

I am posting this here as this is one of the most competent Forums around the web altough my board is not from the ROG Series. I have an ASUS X99 Deluxe Motherboard (latest BIOS 1801) and a SM951 AHCI M.2 SSD. Every other time I cold boot the System it hangs and the HDD LED flashes with QCODE 96. When I hard shut down the System and boot it again, Windows starts normally. I managed to install Windows 10 in UEFI Mode (with CSM disabled). I also tried disabling fast boot but that makes no difference. I also cleared CMOS multiple time.

The SSD doesn't Show up at the Post Screen, but I learned this should be normal?! as the SSD has no Option ROM. Do you guys have any clue what the issue might be?

Thanks in adavance!
Christian
44 REPLIES 44

Chino
Level 15
Can you please list your complete system specifications for me? Also indicate if your system is overclocked or not?

When your system halts with the 96 QCODE, do any of the QLEDs beside the 24 pin power connector remain lit?

chrisk2305
Level 7
Hi Chino,

System Specs:

Intel 5930K @ 4,3Ghz (also tried stock clocks, makes no difference)
4x4 GB Kingston DDR4 3000Mhz Hyper X
ASUS X99 Deluxe with BIOS 1801
2x Geforce 980TI in PCIe_x16 Slot 1 and 3
ASUS Dual Port 10GBe Card in PCIe_x16 Slot 5
Samsung SM951 AHCI 256GB in M.2 Slot
Corsair AXi 860W
CPU and GFX are watercooled

Concerning the QLEDs I will have a look when I am home again (currently on holidays)

Thanks!

chrisk2305
Level 7
No additional LEDs are lit when it hangs at QCODE 96 (PCI Assign Ressources) Could it have something to do with the 10GBe NIC in Slot 5? In Bios that slot is set to 4x mode.

Chino
Level 15

chrisk2305
Level 7
I did that and could complete 3 cold boots so far. I will test more. Is it really normal that the M.2 SSD is not shown on the post screen?

Chino
Level 15
Can't speak for the Samsung SM951. I have the Plextor M6e and I can see it on the post screen. But then again the M6e has its own OPROM. 🙂

sambomartin
Level 7
chrisk2305 wrote:
Hi Guys,

I am posting this here as this is one of the most competent Forums around the web altough my board is not from the ROG Series. I have an ASUS X99 Deluxe Motherboard (latest BIOS 1801) and a SM951 AHCI M.2 SSD. Every other time I cold boot the System it hangs and the HDD LED flashes with QCODE 96. When I hard shut down the System and boot it again, Windows starts normally. I managed to install Windows 10 in UEFI Mode (with CSM disabled). I also tried disabling fast boot but that makes no difference. I also cleared CMOS multiple time.

The SSD doesn't Show up at the Post Screen, but I learned this should be normal?! as the SSD has no Option ROM. Do you guys have any clue what the issue might be?

Thanks in adavance!
Christian

Hi Christian,

I have x99 pro with same SSD SM951. It's kind of new to me vs SATA - each time i boot to Windows 10 USB installer, it only presents the USB drive to install onto, which of course is disabled/prohibited. I've disabled CSM, set UEFI etc. Have you go any advice as to how you got as far as you have done?

thanks
Sam

chrisk2305
Level 7
Hi,
I followed the instructions of Chino in his M.2 FAQ and a youtube video ( I'll try to find it and post it here). Basically CSM was disabled and I booted Windows from USB in UEFI mode. Not much magic there.

I still get the same issues sporadically. System hangs at Code 96 and my 10Gbe NIC (Asus) only works every other boot. I am pretty sure it is connected with the NIC in Slot 5.

Chino: Do you have any idea what may be causing the issue?