cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using Intel 750 SSD

acerzr2
Level 7
I'm planning a new build on the Maximus VIII Hero board along with the Intel core i7 6700k.
It will include the new Intel 750 SSD add in card for Windows 10 64 bit.
If I put my video card (980Ti) in the PCI slot closest to the CPU, and the 750 in the second PCI slot, will the 980Ti still run at x16?
7 REPLIES 7

Praz
Level 13
Hello

That configuration will result in the GPU being at x8. If you want the GPU to remain at x16 use the third PCIe x16 slot for the 750.

bahamut458
Level 7
Follow up - in the above configuration would both the 750 ssd and the 980ti get full bandwidth? Is there a scenario where you could have an SLI setup and have the SSD still receiving the full bandwidth or would that require a different motherboard?

Thanks,
From the guy who doesn't understand how PCIE lanes work.

acerzr2
Level 7
I am also curious if the Intel 750 SSD will get its full bandwidth in the bottom slot.

acerzr2 wrote:
I am also curious if the Intel 750 SSD will get its full bandwidth in the bottom slot.

This is the only thing ive found.

"The uppermost pair of full-length PCIe 3.0 slots (the grey-coloured ones) receive their lanes directly from the LGA 1151 CPU, so these are the ones that you will want to use for graphics cards or high-speed PCIe storage devices. x16/x0 and x8/x8 operation is supported, making 2-card SLI and CrossFire possible.

The lowermost full-length PCIe slot siphons four PCIe 3.0 lanes from the Z170 chipset’s plentiful stack. Thanks to the Z170 chipset’s healthy allocation of PCIe 3.0 lanes, this connector can be used simultaneously with a PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD in the M.2 slot. There’s nothing preventing the PCIe 3.0 x4-capable slot from housing an AMD GPU for a triple-card configuration, but the latency penalty would likely be significant.

A more sensible usage for the slot is as a home for PCIe SSDs such as the PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe Intel SSD 750 drive. While this induces higher latency than the CPU-fed PCIe lanes, it also leaves those available exclusively to graphics cards. Two of the three open-ended PCIe 3.0 x1 connectors share bandwidth with the lowermost expansion slot and will force it into PCIe 3.0 x2 operation if all slots are utilised."

http://www.kitguru.net/components/motherboard/luke-hill/asus-maximus-viii-hero-z170-motherboard-revi...

Praz
Level 13
Hello

The 750 requires PCIe 3.0 x4. The bottom slot is PCIe 3.0 x4.

Menthol
Level 14
I haven't played much yet and I have a 6600k on my VIII Hero while I wait for a 6700K
I Installed an Intel 750 in the bottom slot, a Samsung SM951 (AHCI Version) in the M.2 slot, I need to figure out why my Intel is not up to speed, I installed a combo WiFi BT card in top X1 slot, maybe that"s it. I will investigate
The Intel seems to not perform as well as it did on my RVE but the SM951 performs very good.
I also played with the RamCache software = fun stuff
left side of screen shot is Intel top without RamCache bottom with

Right side of screen shot SM951

i was planning a thread on my Hero board experience, I upgraded from a VII Hero by installing the Intel USB drivers while still on the VII then Cloned that drive onto both the Intel 750 and the SM951
Then Installed them on the VIII board, first boot took a few minutes to recognize my keyboard and mouse then I updated drivers from CD, then upgraded the SM951 to Win 10
All is well and I lost no files or programs needed installed, obviously not the best way for an OS install on a new board but I didn't want to loose anything

RhysLewis
Level 7
RamCache Software ?.. is this the feature I think it is , i.e you allocate some DDR4 RAM to be a Disk ?..