cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG279Q- Displayport link failure while gaming

Yorkston
Level 7
Anyone else with this monitor getting frequent displayport link failures at higher refresh rates? I've gone through 4 cables and 3 video cards without resolving it, although I have found that overclocking the GPU at all exacerbates the issue for some reason.

Its fine at 60hz, occasionally happens at 90hz freesync, and craps out within minutes at 120-144hz. First it goes black, loses and re-establishes the connection to the monitor a few times, and eventually settles with setting the resolution to 1024x768 and refresh to 60hz with no way to change the settings back without rebooting.
16 REPLIES 16

y3ma
Level 7
I have the same issue and I have seen others. You are not alone. My guess is that it is driver issues. If it is a monitor hardware or firmware issue Asus really needs to fix it. I'm using a sapphire 8GB TriX 290X on driver 15.20.1062.1004-150803a-184226E with CCC version 2015.0803.1559.26924. I hope someone knows a fix it if it is not a driver issue. Its really nice but I'm kind of leaning towards returning it if there's going to be driver issues all the time as its practically unusable for gaming. I'm off work now for a few days so I'll mess around in my spare time to find fixes.

Heini
Level 11
First check HERE to be certain your cables are approved. However, it doesn't sound like cables. Make sure you mother board bios is up to date also. I had no problems with a Fury X using the AMD 15.7.1 drivers, at any refresh rate, but I'm back on the Titan X since they finally have some drivers I can use.

I'm experiencing the exact same issue! A few minutes into a game while on 144hz the display goes black and I get the "DIsplayPort Link Failure" error. The resolution remains the same for me, however, all open windows become re-sized to a very small size and the refresh rate defaults to 60Hz. This is all with Freesync disabled on the monitor and the drivers.

Interestingly, if I play with Freesync On on the monitor and OFF on the driver while also setting the refresh rate on the driver as 144hz, then the same event occurs except then the refresh rate defaults to 90Hz.

I've scoured the internet looking for some kind of solution or to maybe figure out what is happening and all I've found is that it seems to be associated with the MG279Q monitor. After spending days troubleshooting this I feel exhausted enough to actually make a post on a forum (yeah...), because I know the alternative is going to be contacting ASUS Support and that most likely the better outcome will be to send something to them for service or exchange. I'd frankly rather be upset for a while than be without a computer for 2-4 weeks again. /sigh

Update!: I kept doing more research and learned about the differences in DisplayPort cables from different manufacturers, especially why some are officially VESA approved. It seems that for complete compliance under the current DP 1.2 standard a certain cable bandwidth capability is required. Running 1440p @ 144Hz apparently has the highest bandwidth requirement of any frequency/resolution combination on a single consumer display and most DP cables will do 1440p or 4k @ 60Hz max.

When I received my monitor, I spent some time troubleshooting what appeared to be an issue with my onboard graphics. One of the things I wanted to rule out was a faulty cable (I know...the irony) so I ordered a set of Cablematters that seemed decent enough and that's what I had been using all this time. As soon as I learned about all this cable business and went back to using the DP cables that came with the monitor, behold! complete stability @144Hz during any kind of load. 🙂

This is really getting annoying.

I'm not finding a solution for this anywhere and my monitor keeps going back from 1440p@144Hz to 60Hz same res. This happens IN MID GAME!

What the hell!?

I've tried searching around and I've gotten no solutions!

I'm using the DP to Mini-DP cable that came with my MG279Q monitor and it's getting these issues. Someone please help I've had this monitor for about 2 months and i've still not been able to solve this.

I'm running Windows 10 and in the Device Manager both of my monitors VS229 and MG279Q are showing as Generic PnP monitors.

I'm using R9 Fury X with latest drivers and this issue just pops out of nowhere, even sometimes when I'm not even doing much on the computer.

CRAZEH247:

Does it happen with the VS229 disconnected?

Heini wrote:
CRAZEH247:

Does it happen with the VS229 disconnected?

I haven't actually tested that, but I did have a feeling that because the other monitor is on HDMI and is 60Hz, the computer for one reason or another thinks it a better thing to just switch the other monitor to 60Hz as well.

However I've just ordered a MDP2DPMM6 cable from StarTech because I hear that it could be my cable. I will test with the cable as well to confirm what the issue really is. It's just really annoying when it pops out of nowhere.

The only issue here is that sometimes I go on a few days without happening and then it suddenly happens again.

EDIT!

Actually, now that I recall, I used to use this MG279Q on its own on a MSI 4GB 270x and it would still have DisplayPort Link failure notices randomly popping up via Catalust Control. So it can't be the second monitor as it used to happen before with my 270x.

So the only thing left to try is to change to the StarTech DP cable I mentioned above that has just arrived in post.

Heini
Level 11
CRAZEH247--- I've run this monitor through Titan X's and Fury X's as a single monitor and haven't had your problems. I haven't heard anywhere else, yet, of others having your probs but I'm gonna keep working at it till you have an answer. The reason I asked about in single monitor is my gut feeling it's somewhere in the Catalyst/Crimson/drivers. Possibly the AMD feature that reduces power input when the load the reduced?

Heini wrote:
CRAZEH247--- I've run this monitor through Titan X's and Fury X's as a single monitor and haven't had your problems. I haven't heard anywhere else, yet, of others having your probs but I'm gonna keep working at it till you have an answer. The reason I asked about in single monitor is my gut feeling it's somewhere in the Catalyst/Crimson/drivers. Possibly the AMD feature that reduces power input when the load the reduced?

I think I've kept the Catalyst control to keep the stuff at maximum power, but would it lowering the power when it's under full load suddenly reduce the bandwidth being passed through the cable? I haven't yet put the new cable in yet.

I will put in the new cable tomorrow and then test it for a day or two to see if any random events like that happen again. Then I'll report back here if it helped or if the issue still exists.

If the issue still exists, the only other thing left to do would be to either mess with my Windows RegEdit or just straight up send the monitor back for a replacement. The monitor's only about 2 months old anyway.

CRAZEH247 wrote:
I think I've kept the Catalyst control to keep the stuff at maximum power, but would it lowering the power when it's under full load suddenly reduce the bandwidth being passed through the cable? I haven't yet put the new cable in yet.

I will put in the new cable tomorrow and then test it for a day or two to see if any random events like that happen again. Then I'll report back here if it helped or if the issue still exists.

If the issue still exists, the only other thing left to do would be to either mess with my Windows RegEdit or just straight up send the monitor back for a replacement. The monitor's only about 2 months old anyway.

Update: came back from work and still using the MG279Q cable. turned PC on and the 1440p@144Hz monitor started up at 60Hz.

So I've swapped the cable to my new StarTech cable I mentioned earlier. Will spend a few more days running this and seeing if another issue pops up.