cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Painting Dominator heatsinks. ..

andlaw
Level 10
Hey guys, So I was surfing through some build pictures of other ROG builds.. and it got me to thinking. This is something I totally have wanted to do, but thought it was out of the question. now have seeing it done in another build, I want to as well!!

I have a quad channel set of Dominator Platinum memory. as most of you know what they look like, the top rail with the Dominator logo is a silver, I am wanting to change this to Red. so with this said, I was under the impression that paint would insulate heat rather than help dissipate the heat. What Paint do I need to go with for a professional look, without degrading the performance of cooling.

Thanks in advance!
10 REPLIES 10

kkn
Level 14
there is a gap between the heat sink and the module it self, you can even install a light bar on it.
i would use paint that cover lots on a thin layer.
but the spreaders it self sits under the silver alu bar.

kkn wrote:
there is a gap between the heat sink and the module it self, you can even install a light bar on it.
i would use paint that cover lots on a thin layer.
but the spreaders it self sits under the silver alu bar.

right on, thanks for the reply. I was just wanting to make sure after I paint them, it is indeed not going to mess with the effectiveness of cooling the modules. Incoming RED paint 😉 I'll post a pic sometime soon when its done! RoG FTW

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Those fins are basically for show...bit of bling...under them is a pretty crummy heat pad..they are painted already...

And as K says the make no contact with top aluminium bridge so you could paint that with polar bear grease and it wouldn't affect heat dissipation 😉

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Those fins are basically for show...bit of bling...under them is a pretty crummy heat pad..they are painted already...

And as K says the make no contact with top aluminium bridge so you could paint that with polar bear grease and it wouldn't affect heat dissipation 😉

that's what I like to hear.. going to be doing this today!

andlaw
Level 10
Here it is guys! I think it turned out pretty good.. the red matched up quite well, I did 2 coats on it and it seems to have a nice gloss look to it. hardest part of this task was finding a metric 1.5mm to remove the piece I was painting. I also removed all the corsair dominator stickers from the memory itself, looks soo much cleaner now... also got them all off the fans too, so much for being done with this build hah, whats next!?! :cool:

kkn
Level 14
nice nice, next? more pc parts maby? 😛
or a 2'nd or a 3'rd monitor? 😛

kkn wrote:
nice nice, next? more pc parts maby? 😛
or a 2'nd or a 3'rd monitor? 😛

I have three VG248qe monitors, and now that i'm water cooled i'm thinking more PC parts is a No 😄 maybe more HDD's for another RAID config.. 🙂 now its on to what can I make Eye Candy xD

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/yyzMnQ

andlaw
Level 10
*update* changed em to BLACK.. (evil smiley)

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I like the black a lot more...have to say :cool: