cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAMPAGE IV EXTREME: System Hangs After Reboot - POST 96

SkieStrife
Level 7
I've been having an ongoing problem with my system in regards to lockups at boot with the POST Code of 96.

Whenever the system boots up, there's usually a small chance that the system will freeze on POST Code 96. The whole system locks up, and attempting to shut the system down after it does lockup usually requires the power button to be held in for five seconds. This problem occasionally persists even though power is removed from the system and the CMOS is reset before the next reboot occurs. Its incredibly frustrating, as Windows 10 has a roughly 15% chance of actually restarting without locking up at the BIOS POST.

This issue seems to have been exacerbated when I transferred my hardware to a Lian-Li PC-07SX case, where a riser card is used to mount the graphics card upright. Due to the length of the riser cable being rather short, the card is forced to be attached to either the third red (16 Lane) or fourth red PCI-Express (8 Lane) socket on the motherboard.

I'm beginning to suspect that the motherboard can't seem to handle that there's no card installed in the first PCI Express socket, but that there's one in the third slot, as the 96 Code was much less frequent in the previous Thermaltake Level 10 GT case the system was housed in beforehand.

Whenever the system finally does resume booting normally after the BIOS is reset or enters Failsafe, it will usually scream about how the graphics card is not compatible with UEFI (which I know is BS considering this is an Nvidia 780Ti) and that CSM has been engaged for compatibility mode.

I haven't updated my BIOS in a while, I admit, but I'm a little afraid to upgrade it considering how the system can barely POST without getting past this 96 code. Call me cautious or stupid, but I have a right to be considering this was a $400+ motherboard at the time I bought it and I'd much rather not have to replace it yet.

An image will be posted below the system specs, showing the screen that is displayed when the system successfully starts after a CMOS reset.

On another random note, when I do actually make it to Windows 10, the POST LED will either read 40, or AA. Most of the time, though, it reads 40.

If anyone out there has any help or ideas on how to remedy this situation, ANY at all, please let me know! Its an ongoing problem that has been plaguing me for the few years I've owned this board and its recently starting to interfere with my ability to install my Nvidia Drivers, I feel.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds!

------

Hardware Installed in System:

• Motherboard: RAMPAGE IV Extreme (BIOS Revision 3204)
  • CPU: Intel SandyBridge-E i7 3930K
  • Memory: G-Skill RIPJAW DDR3 1600 (PC3-12800) 4GB x 4, 16GB Total. F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
  • GPU: ASUS DirectCU II Overclocked Nvidia GeForce 780Ti
  • Storage Drives: (2) 120GB Samsung 840PRO SSD in RAID 0, (2) 500GB Western Digital Blue, (1) 640GB Western Digital Black
  • PSU: 1000W EVGA SuperNova
  • USB Devices: Logitech G910 Mechanical Keyboard, Razer Ouroboros Mouse, Razer Tiamat 7.1 (USB for Power Only)
  • Monitor(s): (2) ASUS 24" Monitor, (1) ASUS 24" 144hrz Performance Monitor
  • Case: Lian-Li PC-07SX

------
0 REPLIES 0