cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STRIX-R9FURY-DC3-4G-GAMING In CrossFire FIRE FIRE FIRE!!!

Undermoose
Level 7
Well not quite a real fire, but I've been pointing my blow torch at my PC in a threatening manner.

I have two ASUS R9FURY, each works fine on its own, but put them together and it's guaranteed to eat a lot of your time trying to figure out what the problem is... well, to see if it's possible to make it work is more to the point.

If you want the product page, the card is so new you have to do a specific model search in support and then you'll find it, with BIOS updates (The normal product page seems to have arrived now). Prior to applying this bios update don't even think about putting two cards on the same motherboard, it'll end up rebooting non-stop at some point in the installation. The BIOS update as of 8/06 helps, a little, but at the end of a very long day, I give up (for now). I did manage to install the drivers and get crossfire setup a couple of times, but anytime I ran a game or a benchmark, it was questionable if I'd have to reset my PC OS or not... that bad! BOOM! That bad, seriously...

I've tried two motherboards ASUS Maximus Extreme VI, then decided to bite the bullet and bought a Sabertooth X99. Both produced the same massive instability. I'm using the AMD drivers dated 7/28 (15.7.1).

Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 produce same results as well.

The Crossfire problem followed from motherboard to motherboard and OS to OS.
5 REPLIES 5

FlanK3r
Level 13
So, do you not updated BIOS on GPUs? If you will update BIOS, do it separate. So one card and after second card (no both in PCIe slots!)
Who knows me, knows me ;)....AMD 3000+, AMD x2 4600+ EE, AMD X4 955 BE C2,2x AMD X4 965 BE C3, AMD X4 970 BE C3, AMD x4 975 BE, AMD x4 980 BE, AMD X6 1090T BE, AMD x6 1100T BE, 2x AMD FX-8120, 2x AMD FX-8150, FX-6300, FX-8300, FX-8320E, FX-8320, FX-8350, FX-8370, FX-8370E, FX-9370, FX-9590, AMD A8-3850, AMD A8-3870K, A8-5600K, A10-5800K, A10-6800K, A10-7850K, A10-7870K, A 5150, Athlon x4 860K, Intel i7-5960X, i7-6700K, Intel i7-4770K, Intel i7-980x, Intel i7 2600k, Intel i7-3770K, i7-3930K.

Undermoose
Level 7
I updated the BIOS, one card at a time. It helped, but didn't create a stable system, it just made it bootable. It would still crash hard during benchmarks or games. Don't do it! Asus Fix This!

Undermoose
Level 7
It would appear the cards were defective. One started showing video corruption on bios post and then crashed the OS on boot, and the other simply stopped working with a solid VGA warning light on the Asus Sabertooth x99 motherboard. I'm typing this from the same motherboard using an MSI Lightning 6970, so the motherboard is fine...

Both cards have an RMA and have been sent back for replacement. Hopefully the next cards that arrive don't have issues.

Some motherboards have an additional power input for SLI/Crossfire setups, but I think the additional power is needed for 3 and 4 card rigs. In this case it's a dual card rig, and Asus Sabertooth x99 doesn't have an extra power plug dedicated for graphics cards, however, the thought has crossed my mind that there may still be BIOS tweaks needed to properly support R9Fury Crossfire.

Two dead R9Fury Strix headed back.

Vlada011
Level 10
I like more Fury X because it's smaller card and full chip, 100%.
Weird that nobody got idea to build Fury X with EKWB waterblock on mATX Maximus VIII Gene.
Even SLI is possible... They are smaller than Fury Strix, with waterblocks almost as Sound Cards, perfect for mATX.
Even have place for Dedicate sound or maybe even Thunderbolt II.
Two non reference cards in case make always very high temps, always is better some kind of watercooling for such configuration.

Undermoose
Level 7
Replacing the cards fixed the Crossfire issue.