cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problems with old games (LAN)

Diekst
Level 7
Hi,

I have a rog 751 JT, and i have problemas when i try to play old games like age of empires 2 or dota (lan). i cant see the match my friends create, so i was wondering if some other people have de same problem.
I have other laptop (less powerfull) and that one doesnt have that problem.

If some can help me i appreciate it.
4 REPLIES 4

kaufen
Level 7
I had this problem playing the first ghost recon.

Make sure your fire wall isn't blocking it, 2nd make sure your anti virus isn't blocking it either. Thats the problem I had.

blabsaway22
Level 7
It's usually your firewall.. disconnect from the internet and then turn off your firewall completely.. then see if you can see your friends games.. if you can.. obviously its your firewall..

Korth
Level 14
Modern systems are all based on TCP/IP.

Many old games like AoE2 often support obsolete networking protocols like IPX/SPX. Microsoft abandoned IPX/SPX in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2003 - if you want to install it on today's Windows then you'll have to google up some old drivers or install a Novell product.

Sadly, games are no longer designed to allow direct peer-to-peer connections across a local LAN. If you wanna play you just gotta connect (and lag) through some faraway internet game server, even if your buddy's computer is right next to you.

Disabling your firewall is harmless until you connect to something bad. Non-secure networking protocols (like IPX/SPX) introduce remote vulnerabilities to your OS which will be exploited by hackers and bots.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

grassy
Level 12
I don't even use an antivirus.I have not used one for years and have never needed one. I keep mbam on standby and that saves me a whole lot of money.One less problem to worry about.:)
FAME IS A MASK THAT EATS INTO THE FACE