cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G551JW overheat or normal? Please help.

JayAiz
Level 7
Hi,
I just purchased my laptop 5 days a go and I noticed the temp is too high, this is my first gaming laptop, I am not sure if this is normal or not.
When browsing the net using chrome opening thunderbird and MS office app the temp of my cpu is arround 42-45C but sometimes it goes upto 54C.
While the GPU temp is around 44-47C.
But when during gaming temp usually goes upto 70-81C, My games are dota 2, World of Tanks and World of Warship.

Can you please confirm if this is not normal? As my return warranty only allows me 7 days.

Here is a screenshot during gaming:

and here is a screenshot during normal use (no Game) this is after gaming

3 REPLIES 3

VKiritsugu
Level 7
Yes, Its normal I also play DotA 2 and some Witcher 3.

player1_fanatic
Level 7
Is laptop working normally with those temperatures?

Then its is not overheating, just operating normally under high load, per design.

On the other hand, your GPU may be "too cold" for high load (maxed at 75C), which may be result of throttling.

See this thread:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?64295-G551JW-GPU-throttle-at-74-degree-celsius

JayAiz
Level 7
Thank you for your response.

@player1_fanatic, I did not notice any issue during the game but just the heat, the performance of the laptop is okay, I guess it is just normal for a gaming
laptop then.
Regarding the GPU, I guess I just have to wait for ASUS to release stable version of the bios then and wait for some feedback.

Thanks much.