cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751 - SSD v. HD installs with 10 Progress but need some aditional help

di_Valenti
Level 7
Greetings,

This is both a request for some additional brain power as well as a kind of how-to as to what I have done and it worked so far...

1- BIOS install legacy device v. UEFI.
There are two things I have done and you will need to do if you want to use other devices
- disable Secure boot
- enable CSM
Then you can use any device to boot from or install from. Apparently if you do this to setup you have to leave it so (as far as I know, putting back defaults causes a bios loop) you can boot from your new hardware/software setup.

Ok that aside, and having done this step - I have installed Windows 7 Ultimate on a spare HD that I put in place of the SSD (and removed the other drive as a data safety precaution - and then activated that with success, and followed that up with an upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.

I have checked the 10 Pro activation and it is both active and the cmd line check states its permanently active - so it's registered my hardware as 10 Pro 64 on the MS servers. All good.

Now I have a two step method here and why I did this on a spare HD - understanding that there are still some odd bits going on with 10 on the G751 - I want to check all the drivers and functions on the spare HD OD setup first and it all checks out (for what I need).

Then the next step once I have smoothed out the settings and all that is to revert to the SSD and original disk HD setup (which is still running 8.1 Home) and install 10 on that.

Since I have registered the hardware with the Win7 Ultimate setup I believe (question here) that I can now just do a completely clean install on the SSD and wipe that and then install 10 and it should then activate due to the register entry.

Is there any issue anyone can see doing this - it looks good so far, so the step would be

1. check the spare setup - good to go - proceed.
2. Wipe the SSD and install that, then do a clean install on it new partitions and fresh install
3. Connect to the net and activate and update any updates
3. Install Apps and call it a day, get pizza and guzzle coffee.
7 REPLIES 7

TugaPower
Level 8
Installed this weekend clean Windows 10 PRO over mine and no issues, Windows activated automatically. No issues so far.

My setup: 2 SSD 256Gb and 1 HDD 1TB

di_Valenti
Level 7
Hey, thanks for the confidence builder there - good to know it's working correctly for someone.

I have a few questions for your (or anyone that wants to chime in) about the installation order and process.

Have the following done:
1. SSD+HD set aside with 8.1 Home on it and all my data.
2. Spare HD installed with windows 7 Ultimate 64 which was then upgraded to Windows 10 Pro 64 - working under the BIOS with CSM on and Secure Boot Off.
3. Windows is activated, and when checked for permanent activation it returns positive that it is all systems go.
4. Device Drivers - all installs and come up with the most current driver installed.
5. I have the 980m driver and GF exp. installed and ShadowPlay Button is working.
6. Steam Installed and the Steam Button launching Steam.

Issues on the table:
ROG EYE Button - not working, but also I am not sure what driver/app it is tied to.

Also I am not sure what Applications and Such to install off the Asus Download Site - some of it if I remember was kind of crap bloatware and some of it was things I found useful... is there a down and dirty guide to order and point of installation of this for a clean and bloatware free system?

Also I am not using Cortona, or Edge atm - I have reverted to IE for the present. I keep my system very clean and clutter free.

Thanks, will amend as things advance on my end and new issues show up.

TugaPower
Level 8

TugaPower
Level 8
Also you need ASUS Gaming center installed that it's what ASUS Eye launch: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps_for_Win8.1/GamingCenter/GamingCenter_Win81_64_VER106.zip

di_Valenti
Level 7
Ah! thank you sir - I thought I had that one installed but I must have missed one of them!

1. Eye Button - check
2. Steam Button - check
3. ShadowPlay Button - check

Amended - My touch pad is moving but it's not double tapping or selecting... did you have this issue? - I have the software installed but it seems to be acting a bit wonky.

di Valenti wrote:
Ah! thank you sir - I thought I had that one installed but I must have missed one of them!

1. Eye Button - check
2. Steam Button - check
3. ShadowPlay Button - check

Amended - My touch pad is moving but it's not double tapping or selecting... did you have this issue? - I have the software installed but it seems to be acting a bit wonky.

I have seen this twice before on g751jt-ch71s and sadly both times we were unable to find a fix. Tried clean installs different drivers the touchpad works but never actually clicks on anything. Both had to rma and after new touchpads worked fine though i honestly believe its not a hardware issue. Hopefully yours can be fixed and is just a driver.
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

di_Valenti
Level 7
Yes, it seems to be the issue - it just started up - tonight... even returning the other OS - which was fine seem to have no effect - but it does seem to be a conflict in there - as it seems to work and no work but can't seem to lock it down on what - I also have boot hang problems with it since I got it about 2 months ago - so I could RMA it I suppose...

I am also I discovered missing one of the little rubber screw covers - I don't suppose I can get a replacement on that also - I don't think it was ever there - the others are lodged in tightly and I have checked both the box and the back pack and around the desk - it doesn't move so it would be in one of the three spots if it had fallen out - or on my office floor - and I haven't ever seen one, and would remember seeing it.

Well this is a bit disappointing... not might night - I get windows 10 up and going, and my TP breaks or something...

There was a German poster that said something about getting the HID device spot to force it to be in the HI section and not the Mouse section and it would work then - so it does look like a conflict in HD to me.

Anyway - new tasks - TP and Rubber screw covers I guess here I come.