Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 980 TI's

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by edmak1804 View Post
    I am running the 980ti w/ the Dell 330w power brick (though i'm having problems with the brick being use properly)
    First: Use the Reference Models for two reasons:
    1) They are assured to fit
    2) They exhaust heat through the back of the unit as opposed to non-ref. designs which push hot hair 'up' (which is sideways on the Asus G20) If using a non ref the heat has NOWHERE to dissipate, this will overheat your system

Second: Ensure you have MSI Afterburner or a similar program allowing you to do two things
    1) Set power limits (90-92% seems ideal, any more and the card will cut out)
    2) Set manual fan speeds if needed (i like forcing higher fan speeds to keep my system cooler, its a personal preference based on noise level)
    What Issues are you having with the Brick? I'm definitely going with a Reference Design and the Brick. I would only run AfterBurner if I had to before the brick showed up. Was curious to know what issues you're having with it.

Also, anyone have an experience with SSD's? I see Sandisk makes different Levels with different Read/ Write Speeds. The Read Speeds is what I would be more concerned about anyway because I'd only use it to Install OS on Obviously, and the Main Games I would play. Just figured I'd ask if anyone had a reccomendation for a 240-480 Gig one. Also, if the G20AJ uses Sata III. Figured it would be 2.5" anywho.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate152 View Post
    Any gpu later than the gtx 650ti with displayport supports G-Sync. Your monitor has to have G-Sync technology in order for your gpu to take advantage of it.

That's a good question about the pcie power cables and it's good you brought that up. You'll want to check to be sure you have the 6pin and 8 pin pcie cables, take a look inside your case and see if you have them.
    Did some of the ROG G20AJ's come with a 6/ 6 only?

I figured mine came with a 8/6 because I had an Extra 6 Pin in the Box that would be useless otherwise. Guess it's always the safest bet to break it down and actually look. Mine has the 760, and on NVidia's site it says it used a 6/ 6 Pin cables so that sketched me out of course. I love the way the G20 Looks and Run's, but I don't want to take this thing apart more times them absolutely possible ha.

Just ordered the Zotac Reference Design. Newegg is having an Open Box sale for the Asus Version. But, the sale is final. I will spend the extra $20 for the New Zotac Version. Too bad they don't have any type of guarantee for the Open Box Versions.

Is this the PSU?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

Seems to be some confusion with the PSU.

Update: Found the Model Number in the 330W PSU Thread. Hope that's right and hope it's the OEM like it says. Cheapest I could find that didn't look super sketchy.

On another note, my Girl is going to kill me when this starts showing up. RIP.
    Last edited by Nadles; 09-12-2015 at 10:07 PM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array a100 PC Specs
    a100 PC Specs
    MotherboardH97 Asus
    ProcessorIntel i7-4790 3.6GHZ
    Memory (part number)16GB
    Graphics Card #1Zotac GTX980Ti Reference OC`d GPU: +210MHZ - Memory: +300MHZ
    Sound CardOn board
    MonitorBenQ XL2430T Gaming LED Monitor
    Storage #1Samsung Evo Pro 850 512G SSD
    CPU CoolerRog Dual Fan
    CaseG20AJ
    Keyboard Asus
    Mouse Asus
    OS Win 8.1 Core Single Language
    Accessory #1 Logitech G27 Racing Wheel

Hey Nadles,

I disabled my SATA HDD and replaced my 32G kingstone with a 512G 850 Pro Samsung SSD. it has been the best seller in 2015 as far as I researched and I gotta say it works amazingly fast.

Did you mean I can use Zotac GTX980Ti with my 230W stock PSU? only need to use afterburner not to let it use over that power wattage?

-How is the performance with this method? for instance in a game like GTA5.
    -How is this underclocking being done? Can you kindly tell me the exact things which must be done with MSI Afterburner?

===================================

On another subject, I came across this:

EVGA GTX980Ti SuperClocked

Zotac GTX980Ti

Both look like the same and reference, so they would fit into a G20.
    Question is with EVGA reference version Superclocked we can have more Clock speed with the reference dimensions.
    Should I chose EVGA SC version instead of Zotac?

Also can I myself overclock the Zotac reference unoverclocked version to the measures that EVGA SC version is overclocked?
    Last edited by a100; 09-13-2015 at 09:27 PM.

Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 4025MHz 17-17-17-39-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba OCZ VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1600w Titanium
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse Razer Basilisk
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U

Yeah you can overclock the zotac and is the one to go with since it is cheaper. The 980ti can draw up to 250w, I'd go with the 330w power brick as the 230w may not be enough.

a100 PC Specs
    MotherboardH97 Asus
    Memory (part number)16GB
    Sound CardOn board
    CPU CoolerRog Dual Fan
    CaseG20AJ
    Keyboard Asus
    Mouse Asus

Hey nate, tnx for these answers during these times I`m deciding really appreciate it

-So overclocking the Zotac reference can be done to the measure that EVGA reference superclocked has it correct?

-Since I`m gonna use it in a G20, would having the fan working on higher percentage suffice to keep the heat out?

-in MSI Afterburner, do I need to just raise the Core Clock from the hanlde in the middle to the desired MHZ amount and it will show on the left side? like this picture? see the pic

-If I go with underclocking my VGA until I get my 330w PSU, how can I know that I`m playing with the wattage? I can only see that MSI afterburner has Voltage measures.

Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 4025MHz 17-17-17-39-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba OCZ VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1600w Titanium
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse Razer Basilisk
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U

I wouldn't even try the 980ti with the 230w psu just to avoid problems and possibly damaging the 980ti, an under powered psu can damage the 980ti as well as the psu.

I'd crank the fan to 100% to ensure the lowest possible temps.

And yes when overclocking all you need to do is slide the sliders and test for stability and you can overclock to the specs of the evga superclocked 980ti and probably a little further.

ROG Member Array

Im playing with 230W. PSU and Msi afterburner set the power 92 % and it is working very well.
    Never has been shootdown. And im playing at 4k.
    Never over 86 Celsius, with fan speed auto.
    If the gtx980ti needs more Than 230W. afterburner only denie these without damage nothing
    I must to say that it is not normal that over 230W Was necesary.

I had i7 4790. 16 Gb ram. and asus reference card. (whithout overvlocking) and whithout the metal grill into the G20AJ

a100 PC Specs
    MotherboardH97 Asus
    Memory (part number)16GB
    Sound CardOn board
    CPU CoolerRog Dual Fan
    CaseG20AJ
    Keyboard Asus
    Mouse Asus

Tnx man, Hows the performance on games like GTA5, Far Cry or other hefty games with this config? any flicker? or smooth quality?

Do you do these games on ultra setting?

Only you set the power on 92% and thats it?

By the way, currently I`m using Asus GPU TWEAK and it works fine. Should I use Afterburner for better results? I checked EVGA Precision, MSI Afterburner and Asus GPU TWEAK they all seem the same to me!.
    Last edited by a100; 09-14-2015 at 02:50 AM.

ROG Member Array

They are the same.i think. There is a ROG software to only monitorize that is very good and more real numbers Than msi afterburner, But it online monitorize the GPU.

I only play 4k with nba2k15 and metal gear solid, the phantom, all very smooth with ultra settings.

Yes, i only set to 92% the power, But im thinking to set the fan speed a little faster to see if it make cooler system under 83 celsius.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by a100 View Post
    Tnx man, Hows the performance on games like GTA5, Far Cry or other hefty games with this config? any flicker? or smooth quality?

Do you do these games on ultra setting?

Only you set the power on 92% and thats it?

By the way, currently I`m using Asus GPU TWEAK and it works fine. Should I use Afterburner for better results? I checked EVGA Precision, MSI Afterburner and Asus GPU TWEAK they all seem the same to me!.
    They should all be about the same. As for the power part of what you were saying, I would definitely get the 330W PSU regardless, but you can run it with the Stock 230W. It should run better than what you have currently I'm assuming.

But, If you plan on using the 980 TI, I would use the 330W over cutting the power percentage, or just hoping the 230W that comes with the G20 can pull a little more then spec'd. I would only used MSI Afterburner, ASUS Tweak if absolutely needed. (If your card shows up before the 980 TI or something). Regardless of which you use, games should run seamlessly at 90%, maybe 92% but I feel like that's pushing it a tad. I'd rather be safe than sorry. I wouldn't resort to under powering it unless I had to, like Nate said, that can be detrimental to the GPU as well. It would run games like GTA V fine, but think of it as its only capable of using 90% of the card. It's like shaving $70/ 10% off the card because of restricting the card's power. It won't run anything at full potential until you use a 330W PSU.

I appreciate your input on the SSD's. I figure if I'm spending $800 on a GPU and PSU I might as well do it right and get a SSD.

In other news, all my goodies should be showing up in a day or two. I'll post as much as I can to help others do the same. Not looking forward to setting the Jumpers if needed, I haven't seen anyone post the Jumpers for their 980 TI. If it's out there somewhere, can someone link it?
    Last edited by Nadles; 09-14-2015 at 10:31 AM.

a100 PC Specs
    MotherboardH97 Asus
    Memory (part number)16GB
    Sound CardOn board
    CPU CoolerRog Dual Fan
    CaseG20AJ
    Keyboard Asus
    Mouse Asus

Tnx for your ideas, definitely helpful.

As for the SSD, as long as you get a SSD with 2.5 inches head, you`ll be fine.

Definitely use a SSD on this one, my suggestion would be at least a 512G.

Problem with the PSU is that here I can not find any 330w Dell PSU and amazon/ebay not an option here, so thats why my options are limited.

I also tried Chinese online stores like alibaba but their minimum offer starts from 50 pieces. definitely not the amount I need
    Last edited by a100; 09-14-2015 at 09:45 PM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast