cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

980 TI's

Nadles
Level 7
I know a lot of people have upgraded to the 980 TI, and have either used Afterburner or have got the 330W Dell Power Supply. I wanted to ask you guys if you are using the Referenced Design Card, or a SC card, and exactly what cards will fit that would the be the best option. Thanks in advanced.
75 REPLIES 75

Nadles
Level 7
Bump a Lump

JAC7ODOM
Level 7
They are using reference car cause the Hot air is expelled to the up side and with not reference card May be that Hot air isnt expelled to up side at all, i think.

masterschwag
Level 7
If u wanted a gtx 980 ti, the reason you would need to go with reference is because the size will fit and the pwr consumption is lower than other models. 980 ti reference card on amazon. And if you cant afford a 330W dell power brick then you would want to use MSI Afterburner to limit the power the new card is using I believe.

edmak1804
Level 7
I am running the 980ti w/ the Dell 330w power brick (though i'm having problems with the brick being use properly)
First: Use the Reference Models for two reasons:
1) They are assured to fit
2) They exhaust heat through the back of the unit as opposed to non-ref. designs which push hot hair 'up' (which is sideways on the Asus G20) If using a non ref the heat has NOWHERE to dissipate, this will overheat your system

Second: Ensure you have MSI Afterburner or a similar program allowing you to do two things
1) Set power limits (90-92% seems ideal, any more and the card will cut out)
2) Set manual fan speeds if needed (i like forcing higher fan speeds to keep my system cooler, its a personal preference based on noise level)

edmak1804 wrote:
I am running the 980ti w/ the Dell 330w power brick (though i'm having problems with the brick being use properly)
First: Use the Reference Models for two reasons:
1) They are assured to fit
2) They exhaust heat through the back of the unit as opposed to non-ref. designs which push hot hair 'up' (which is sideways on the Asus G20) If using a non ref the heat has NOWHERE to dissipate, this will overheat your system

Second: Ensure you have MSI Afterburner or a similar program allowing you to do two things
1) Set power limits (90-92% seems ideal, any more and the card will cut out)
2) Set manual fan speeds if needed (i like forcing higher fan speeds to keep my system cooler, its a personal preference based on noise level)

What Issues are you having with the Brick? I'm definitely going with a Reference Design and the Brick. I would only run AfterBurner if I had to before the brick showed up. Was curious to know what issues you're having with it.

Also, anyone have an experience with SSD's? I see Sandisk makes different Levels with different Read/ Write Speeds. The Read Speeds is what I would be more concerned about anyway because I'd only use it to Install OS on Obviously, and the Main Games I would play. Just figured I'd ask if anyone had a reccomendation for a 240-480 Gig one. Also, if the G20AJ uses Sata III. Figured it would be 2.5" anywho.

Nate152 wrote:
Any gpu later than the gtx 650ti with displayport supports G-Sync. Your monitor has to have G-Sync technology in order for your gpu to take advantage of it.

That's a good question about the pcie power cables and it's good you brought that up. You'll want to check to be sure you have the 6pin and 8 pin pcie cables, take a look inside your case and see if you have them.

Did some of the ROG G20AJ's come with a 6/ 6 only?

I figured mine came with a 8/6 because I had an Extra 6 Pin in the Box that would be useless otherwise. Guess it's always the safest bet to break it down and actually look. Mine has the 760, and on NVidia's site it says it used a 6/ 6 Pin cables so that sketched me out of course. I love the way the G20 Looks and Run's, but I don't want to take this thing apart more times them absolutely possible ha.

Just ordered the Zotac Reference Design. Newegg is having an Open Box sale for the Asus Version. But, the sale is final. I will spend the extra $20 for the New Zotac Version. Too bad they don't have any type of guarantee for the Open Box Versions.

Is this the PSU?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009UWBSIC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Seems to be some confusion with the PSU.

Update: Found the Model Number in the 330W PSU Thread. Hope that's right and hope it's the OEM like it says. Cheapest I could find that didn't look super sketchy.

On another note, my Girl is going to kill me when this starts showing up. RIP.

a100
Level 8
Ed, what does that mean reference model? do I just say I want a reference model gtx 980 Ti? or I actually have to provide the seller with a specific model number?

Nate152
The reference 980ti is this, It's called reference because it is more or less the "standard" 980ti (no overclocks), it has the reference cooler on it which exhausts the heat out the back of your case.

The G20AJ comes with two power supplies, one for the gpu and one for the rest of the system, double check if you have the power to run a gtx 980ti.

Zotac reference 980ti

http://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-ZT-90501-10P-Graphics-Cards/dp/B00YNEIAWY/ref=sr_1_20?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1...

Asus reference 980ti

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-GTX980TI-6GD5-ASUS-Graphics-Card/dp/B00YJG58EO

a100
Level 8
Once again tnx nate 🙂 always helpful.

Got it now. As I read, I understand that a 330 wats Dell/Alienware PSU can handle this perfectly.

Nate, I asked this on another thread and since we are talking here I`m gonna ask it here too.

If I want to upgrade my CPU from stock i7 4790 to 4790K, will I simply purchase a simple i7 4790K and replace it on my motherboard? no specifics needed? same system PSU can handle it? no bios tweaks needed?

Nate152
A 330w psu for the 980ti would be enough, peak power draw is 250w.

The 4790k will fit, it's the same socket as the 4790. But the 4790k runs hotter as it is clocked higher. You would want to check to make sure the cpu cooler in the G20AJ can handle it. Another thing is I don't know how overclocking works with the G20AJ or if the bios is locked, you'd want to research this. There would be no point in getting a 4790k if you can't overclock it.