Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

+1. I found this thread when googling this very issue. I am seeing nearly identical symptoms as the OP. Sequential reads / writes are around 2200/1250. Give it 10 mins (zero load) then it drops to 85/42.

My set up is an ASUS Z170M-Plus mATX board, I7 6700k and the 256GB NVMe drive. I need to get to the bottom of it soon as i need to get it returned as there's clearly something wrong.

BIOS has been updated to 0403, released on the 28th August. Running Windows 10 Pro. I thought this may have been a driver issue but i've benchmarked the drive under Linux and am achieving the same 85/42 so dont believe it to be the OS or driver.
    Trying to narrow down other things like mobo / sm951 incompatibility somehow but then it wouldn't work at all. I'm inclined to think it's a temperature thing as the OP mentioned, the NVMe drive takes 3x as much power (6w vs 2w if i recall correctly) which is just going on heat.

Pountney, what makes you think it's not heat, all signs seem to point at an overheating problem. I've got an old CPU cooler perched just above the drive now doing nothing but cooling it, i'm still getting the slow speeds. Unfortunately, i've not been able to find any software that will read the temp sensor on it to get an accurate figure.

I think i'll kick off an RMA later and send it back for an AHCI, it's not worth the hassle for the additional IOPS which i'll probably never use.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Menthol PC Specs
    Menthol PC Specs
    MotherboardM 10 Apex / XI gene
    Processor8700K / 9900K
    Memory (part number)2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4266/2x2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4500
    Graphics Card #1RTX 2080ti / GTX 1060
    Sound CardSoundBlaster Ae5 / Onboard
    MonitorBENQ 32" 4K
    Storage #1Intel 900p 480GB/Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
    Storage #2Intel 750 1.2TB/Plextor 1 TB 2X 950 Pro
    CPU CoolerCorsair H150i AIO / H1110i
    CaseCorsair 740 ? Lian Li Air
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i / AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair
    Mouse ASUS Strix
    Headset HyperX Cloud Alpha
    Mouse Pad ASUS
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z906
    OS 10 X64 Pro
    Network RouterVerizon Fios
    Accessory #1 Intel Wifi BT pcie card
    Accessory #2 Red Bull
    Accessory #3 English Breakfast Tea

AIDA64 can read the temps on all your hard drives including the SM951
    This is idle temps while browsing the forums
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture 5.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	154.6 KB 
ID:	51411
    Last edited by Menthol; 08-31-2015 at 12:25 PM.

ROG Member Array

I cant get a thing out of the NVMe with any software, no temps, serial number, SMART data etc. It's totally closed off to any kind of diagnostics. Unfortunately, it's not just me being a n00b as another user (IamSSD) on overclockers cant either (http://www.overclock.net/t/1551060/o...wners-club/270)... unless we both are

Thanks for posting your output though, I notice yours is running at 27Celcius... from touching the drive i know for certain it's not 27, it's much higher. It's so hot that the sticker that been thermally printed has darkened where the chips are below it, Wikipedia reckons this happens at 100 degrees but as this is only partially darkened it'll be lower.

These devices are just too new and immature for there to be any reliable diagnostic software etc available. Heck, Samsung's own 'Magician' software doesn't recognise the drive properly.
    Last edited by chris24747; 08-31-2015 at 03:49 PM.

ROG Member Array

Take a look at this, I'd say that it backs up the overheating theory.
    http://www.legitreviews.com/samsung-...eview_161689/3

"Our performance went from being ~1500MB/s all they way down to 70MB/s during the throttle" - sound familiar? Granted this on the AHCI version, but it's got to be the same thing.

I wouldn't have any issue if it was throttling now and again to cool down but this just doesn't seem to cool once it's up to temperature. I cant see the longevity of the drive being very good at permanent high temps either.

Also, here: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...M-2-Drive-703/ they reckon the drive hits 111 degrees and throttles, so what i said before about the thermal print sticker may well be right!
    and
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/8979/s...2-gb-review/11
    "It takes less than two minutes for the drive to begin throttling itself and the performance drops to ~75MB/s"

This is not good! I think it's being returned. The next dilemma is whether to get an AHCI version or go with a SATA SSD.

ROG Junior Member Array

I dont beleive the drive is thermally throttling. I put heatsinks and active cooling on my drive and it still slows down after 10 mins idle or not. Ive measured the temps of the drive with a laser temp gun and it stays low 30's. The only way to get the speed back up is to shutdown the system.
    Last edited by fordsvt11; 08-31-2015 at 07:04 PM.

New ROGer Array

Having similar issues, 128gb NVMe version on Z170. Very disappointing
    Unable to read thermals on any program either!

ROG Member Array

Found this while looking for a place to purchase one

How to avoid FUA command:

As this is not a SSD problem but NVMe driver policy behaviour.
    The low performance was caused by the FUA(Forced Unit Access) command. It was originally blocked by the storage driver in MS Windows OS but the NVMe driver passes that command. And the benchmark tools that recently released invoke a bunch of FUA command so the performance of the SM951 NVMe dramatically goes down. MS is also aware of this issue and they are going to release a technical doc in MSDN near future. By that time, the way to avoid the FUA command is by checking “Turn off write-cache buffer” option (see below) under the device property of the SSD in your Device Manager”.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nvme-drivers-setting.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	51459

Source:
    http://www.flexxmemory.co.uk/solid-s...0000-oem-nvme/

Edit: Also users are talking about it here on this page (possible fix with Intel speedstep disabled in bios)

http://www.overclock.net/t/1551060/o...wners-club/310
    Last edited by petrol; 09-01-2015 at 03:19 AM.

ROG Member Array

So I bought this NVMe 256gb version as well, So I can confirm the problem, First, I didn't try to install OS on this drive, so I am using it as secondary drive, didn't write any file on int just formatted and that's it.
    So AIda 64 newest beta versions show temp information of this drive. First minutes it was 40C and after a while it become 82C even with not doing anything, with completely empty drive...
    and getting 86MB/41MB Read write speeds )) tried to turn off this windows write-cache buffer, didn't change anything

Edit: and even after restart it stays on 82C and have the same 86/41 speeds...
    Last edited by Tomuks; 09-01-2015 at 10:51 AM.

New ROGer Array

On my Asus ROG VIII Hero, I've just updated the BIOS to 0603 as there were some issues with the previous release. I'll run the tests and see what comes up!

Edit: Didn't fix it
    Last edited by fromnack; 09-01-2015 at 12:26 PM.

ROG Member Array

Have you tried disabling Intel speedstep in the bios and see if that helped any?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast