Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
    New ROGer Array

I have been having the same problems that have been reported by others in this post with the SM951 NVMe 512GB drive (on a Maximus VIII Hero motherboard). First there's the FUA command issue which has to be rectified by checking the “Turn off write-cache buffer” option. More worryingly the drive seems fine immediately after start-up but speeds drop to 40-80 MB/s after a few minutes, and restarting does not fix the problem - only a full shut down does. The Intel drivers helped with the drop in speed but as reported by GTCrais the disk was not be visible to the BIOS when restarting unless after a full shut down. Tinkering with various BIOS and power options has made absolutely no difference to any of these issues.

However, I then invested in an M.2 to PCIE card (Lycom DT-120 PCIe 3.0 x4 - approx £12 from Scan) so that I could try moving the drive around. Putting it in the PCIE_X4_3 slot made no difference, which is not surprising given that this PCIE slot uses the same lanes as the M.2 slot. However, putting it in the PCIE_X8_2 slot rectified all but the FUA command issue. The drive runs at full speed with no slow down using both the Microsoft and the Intel NVMe drivers, and there's no issue with the drive not being recognised by the BIOS when using the Intel drivers. Both drivers seem to produce similar results on benchmarking (approximately 2700 using AS SSD). I've had it running for 2 days now and all seems well.

So it appears that connecting the drive using PCIE lanes that communicate directly with the processor allows the drive to function properly with both Microsoft and Intel drivers, whereas connecting it using PCIE lanes that communicate via the PCH causes the problems that I and many others have experienced.

Obviously there are down sides to moving the drive to the PCIE_X8_2 slot. It effectively means that an SLI setup is not possible, and even with a single graphics card in the PCIE_X16/X8_1 slot it drops to 8 lanes (although I suspect that's unlikely to be an issue for most graphics cards). It also wasn't possible to just move the drive - it required a re-format and Windows to be re-installed.

I'm not sure if this would work on other motherboards, but it certainly seems to on the Maximus VIII Hero I'm using. Hope this helps others with getting their drive working properly.

As a bit of an aside, I see that Asus has issued a further BIOS update for this motherboard recently (0902), although it is a beta version. I've tried updating to this version of the BIOS and reinstalled Windows with the drive back in the M.2 slot. Sadly it does not rectify any of the issues with the SM951 NVMe drive with either the Microsoft or Intel NVMe drivers, and actually caused my PC to fail the POST with the Ai Overclock Tuner set to XMP. This was never a problem with BIOS version 0802 so I've rolled it back.

New ROGer Array mheiland PC Specs
    mheiland PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus VIII Gene
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-6700K
    Memory (part number)Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4-2400
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Geforce GTX 960
    MonitorEizo Foris FS2434-BK
    Storage #1Samsung SM951-NVMe 512GB
    Power SupplyEnermax Platimax 500W

Samsung just announced a consumer version of the 951, the "950 Pro", which comes as a m.2 NVMe drive with almost the same specs but incorporates V-NAND. And it's black.

The good thing is that they'll provide a proprietary driver which hopefully will also work with the 951. Crossing fingers. Shipment is expected for late October, early November.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/...g-performance/
    Last edited by mheiland; 09-22-2015 at 01:52 PM.

ROG Member Array

EDIT: The below might help someone but it appears my write speeds have tanked again so I'm not really sure what to do other than RMA the drive. Does everyones do this? Is my one just faulty?

------------------------

Hi All,

I've registered just to share this info with you as I've just installed an Asus Maximus VIII Gene today and was experiencing the issues above. Essentially the 951 NVMe is not a retail drive meaning it was supposed to be sold to OEMs not customers. The 950 Pro will be the retail version.

As such the OEM is responsible for the support and Samsung furnish them with the drivers you need. The Windows 10 Generic NVMe driver was written in 2006!. With that in mind I've found an OEM which has the drive (HP) and has their oem drivers freely available.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/p...&swEnvOid=4059

Simply install these in the place of the the microsoft drivers (via device manage > have disk etc) and it'll resolve some of the major issues. I'm not sure how good they are but they're better than the microsoft ones which lock up all the time. For reference I'm running all the latest drivers and UEFI. Forcing the intel ones is stupid because they're designed for intel SSDs.
    Last edited by Tehtog; 11-01-2015 at 06:48 PM.

Mastermind19 Array

951 issue

Quote Originally Posted by Tehtog View Post
    EDIT: The below might help someone but it appears my write speeds have tanked again so I'm not really sure what to do other than RMA the drive. Does everyones do this? Is my one just faulty?

------------------------

Hi All,

I've registered just to share this info with you as I've just installed an Asus Maximus VIII Gene today and was experiencing the issues above. Essentially the 951 NVMe is not a retail drive meaning it was supposed to be sold to OEMs not customers. The 950 Pro will be the retail version.

As such the OEM is responsible for the support and Samsung furnish them with the drivers you need. The Windows 10 Generic NVMe driver was written in 2006!. With that in mind I've found an OEM which has the drive (HP) and has their oem drivers freely available.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/p...&swEnvOid=4059

Simply install these in the place of the the microsoft drivers (via device manage > have disk etc) and it'll resolve some of the major issues. I'm not sure how good they are but they're better than the microsoft ones which lock up all the time. For reference I'm running all the latest drivers and UEFI. Forcing the intel ones is stupid because they're designed for intel SSDs.
    ----------
    Upgrade latest BIOS and set SATA MODE to AHCI in BIOS. If it still doesn't work, the Samsung SM951 is defective and find a replacement.
    If you want a compatible M.2 drives, here are some that you can test:
    SAMSUNG MZ-HPU128T/004 (XP941) MZ-HPU512T/000 (XP941)
    SAMSUNG N5E250BW(850 EVO)-250GB NPD1280-2280-128GB
    SANDISK SD6PP4M-128GB SD6PP4M-256GB

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by thomas_yiu View Post
    ----------
    Upgrade latest BIOS and set SATA MODE to AHCI in BIOS. If it still doesn't work, the Samsung SM951 is defective and find a replacement.
    If you want a compatible M.2 drives, here are some that you can test:
    SAMSUNG MZ-HPU128T/004 (XP941) MZ-HPU512T/000 (XP941)
    SAMSUNG N5E250BW(850 EVO)-250GB NPD1280-2280-128GB
    SANDISK SD6PP4M-128GB SD6PP4M-256GB

The drive is NOT faulty. It is also using NVMe not ACHI. This model appears to suffer poor reads because the windows driver is bypassing flash:

http://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/glenn...t-nvme-driver/

I returned mine for a Samsung 950 Pro.

Mastermind19 Array

Reply Tehtog

Quote Originally Posted by Tehtog View Post
    The drive is NOT faulty. It is also using NVMe not ACHI. This model appears to suffer poor reads because the windows driver is bypassing flash:

http://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/glenn...t-nvme-driver/

I returned mine for a Samsung 950 Pro.
    I heard about SM951 has slow read, too. It is good that you upgraded.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by thomas_yiu View Post
    I heard about SM951 has slow read, too. It is good that you upgraded.

Reads are marginally slower than advertised but still well within expected scores. Writes are the issue.

ROG Member Array

Hello guys
    I came here because I have searched at google problem
    I have purchased this crap samsung 951 NVMe installed in my new laptop I have replaced it with AHCI M.2 SSD toshiba
    But I am suffering very crappy speeds the read speeds are OK but write and 4k are very bad
    Any help appreciate..
    Mine laptop is MSI GS70 6QE

EDIT : Here guy who has samsung NVMe SSD by default installed he has better speeds ..
    http://www.noteforum.co.kr/news/index.htm?nm=38199
    Last edited by Ethos Evoss; 11-27-2015 at 07:11 AM.

ROG Member Array

Just disabled couple things in BIOS and now speeds are better .. maybe I turned laptop on and is cold..

ROG Member Array

Here after few minutes even better
    Guys u need to download samsung driver controller and uninstall unecessary Intel RST program.. twill dedect NONE storage! that is just for AHCI ..
    check pic..

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8