cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G771JW gaming machine, really?

drNesh
Level 7
I just cant believe people buying this awful laptop. Where to start, uuuuuuuummmm, if laptop can overheat that easy it isn't damn gaming laptop. Are you kidding me, every day i wonder who let this garbage to have the ROG badge. I cant even play DOTA 2 normally. And I don't want to even start about sound, that is like 20/100 in my opinion, and this 20 points is just for that the sound exist on it. Sound that bad I didn't heard from any digital device, ANY. Like I want to spend additional time for tweaks (if there's any) and trying all drivers that exist. I was that blind for ASUS ROG brand I didn't even did research about this particular piece of hardware, I had many of it and i assumed that this was is also top notch. Man, gaming laptop without any air intake holes, how could you. I feel like I'm stabbed in my back. That man who put this in market made fools of us all.
I'm done trying to find some magic driver for throtling and I dont want to search about sound problem, wi-fi is also bad and I use usb wi-fi card ofc.
15 REPLIES 15

HulkSmash
Level 8
Hi friend! Yes, I do agree with you, the sound quality of this laptop is pretty poor. But as far as cooling, I'm yet to see another gaming laptop with better cooling/temps out there. And as far as performance, my 970m pretty much matches my friend's desktop GTX770 classified, and that is pretty impressive in laptop terms... For the price you are paying which includes a keyboard, and an IPS 1080p panel, these ROG laptops really don't come that far off in comparison to the same level performance desktop computer, including monitor/keyboard/mouse... This computer eats DOTA 2 on 4k for lunch... lol. IDK how you are using your laptop mate, but maybe there is something wrong with yours? 🙂

Mate you have g751 100%. I'm stuck with g771, that has one low power cooler for gpu and cpu on same mini copper heatsink and doesn't have air intake holes. All it has from ROG department is BRANDING and decent 1080p display. Keyboard isn't bad but that placement of the keys are big no no for gaming device. Touchpad is average. Oh, and it has awesome backlight ROG logo that remind me in dark that ROG department made me fool to trow money on this. I cant bring it back if i don't like it in my country, like fellow americans can.
And one more thing, my laptop was advertised like RealSense 3d camera device, there is no such thing on my donkey. Just hope someone will read about it on this tread and just pay attention on this fails.

XOIIO
Level 7
So... what are you hoping to achieve aside from someone seeing you whine and complain about your computer? Are you expecting us to all pitch in to give you your money back or something?

What exactly do you consider overheating anyways? You don't list a single temperature. Is it actually shutting down?

Anyways looking at reviews there are a couple mentions of throttling at load and cooling design not being the best, did you do any research on this machine before buying it?

XOIIO wrote:
So... what are you hoping to achieve aside from someone seeing you whine and complain about your computer? Are you expecting us to all pitch in to give you your money back or something?

He's giving feedback which is perfectly valid. People are allowed to complain about things they buy that don't meet their expectations.

I was originally looking at a G551 but was a little surprised to see they simply used one of their other mainstream chassis' with a pretty average looking cooling system and branded it ROG. I ended up buying a G751 instead.

KrisVr
Level 7
What temps are you getting with Dota 2?

I get 60-65 with G751. G771 cant be that bad....right?

Use V-sync or smth to limit framerate to 60, that could help bring temps down a little!

drNesh
Level 7
I tried everything, nothing helps. I'm not whining, I just don't want to someone make bad decision like i did. Because all owner was mild on commenting throttling issue I assumed that its not big of a deal. No one said that is useless in any type of gaming. I play Dota and that is not that hard for GPU. I trusted ROG brand that is good because I had many of their products and zero regrets, I was like, ooohhh what people complaining, this guys know what they are doing, pay some extra and don't worry. If something have this logo that product need to be able to deliver 24/7 100% usage on GP and CPU with preset clocks. CPUs and GPUs on desktop machines was always OCed big time without any problem.
So I want to achieve that somebody after reading be able to figure it out how bad is it and test first for himself and then buy. To help, that's every forum all about.
About temperatures, again ofc, after starting any game like Witcher or so CPU goes to turbo mode, kicking hard, GPU going to max preset value, after 1min or less temperatures are above 80C. Temperatures above that resulting drops in CPU and GPU speed and heavy throttling.
G751 was the thing I needed, I know now when is to late.

drNesh wrote:
I tried everything, nothing helps. I'm not whining, I just don't want to someone make bad decision like i did. Because all owner was mild on commenting throttling issue I assumed that its not big of a deal. No one said that is useless in any type of gaming. I play Dota and that is not that hard for GPU. I trusted ROG brand that is good because I had many of their products and zero regrets, I was like, ooohhh what people complaining, this guys know what they are doing, pay some extra and don't worry. If something have this logo that product need to be able to deliver 24/7 100% usage on GP and CPU with preset clocks. CPUs and GPUs on desktop machines was always OCed big time without any problem.
So I want to achieve that somebody after reading be able to figure it out how bad is it and test first for himself and then buy. To help, that's every forum all about.
About temperatures, again ofc, after starting any game like Witcher or so CPU goes to turbo mode, kicking hard, GPU going to max preset value, after 1min or less temperatures are above 80C. Temperatures above that resulting drops in CPU and GPU speed and heavy throttling.
G751 was the thing I needed, I know now when is to late.

Your expectation that laptops should deliver cooling at 100% utilization on both GPU and CPU with no thermal throttling is an unreasonable one. A little research on your end will tell you the story.

I've read threads about the 551 and the 960m having a very low thermal ceiling. You may want to check those threads out, there are workarounds to increase the throttling threshold. I understand it is very conservative from the factory.

Some more information on your end may help you resolve your issues instead of just complaining about them. Would you rather not be happy with your purchase?

drNesh
Level 7
In new in laptop world. I made mistake and I blame myself for not trying first then purchase. I saw that gtx 960m can handle Dota 2 quite well and that was all good for me. 🙂 I dint know that i need to spend 1500$ to play comfy dota on laptop and to carry 5kg. Imagine that this laptop doesn't have DVD rom and instead they put another heatsink there. Imagine that there is some intake in the bottom or back of the laptop for vents. That would be epic and something that you can expect from ROG. Its like zero impact on cost of the laptop and weight.

Do enyone have this realsense 3d camera?

What's the return policy of your dealer? Can you return your laptop for a refund/ G751?