cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not responding to anything

Retired
Not applicable
So I bought my ASUS G73JH-RBBX05 refurbished from newegg and yesterday I fired it up and installed COD and played. It worked wonderfully until this morning when windows decided to update its self while I was playing. After the update things would just be unresponsive and slow, and now I cannot even close or open a window.

I just want to know what's wrong with it, or if anyone had experienced this before.
13 REPLIES 13

Retired
Not applicable
Did it do an automatic Windows Update? That whole "Installing update __ of __ Please do not turn off blah blah " That thing? You should configure it so that you have control in what update you are installing. I had the same problem with my X3 model. I had it for 1 day and already had to do a system restore to an earlier day because it was stuck on that screen. The best thing I can tell you is to boot in safe mode and do a system restore to an earlier day before that slow and unresponsiveness. If that doesn't work, then you probably have to RMA it.

Retired
Not applicable
Bring your pc up to date with all driver from asus including bios and vbios then ati and realtek some help here http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/492354-all-g73jh-problems-solutions-here....

Retired
Not applicable
So flashing the bios will fix it? Its normal except its like everything is "not responding" but without the message. Its like waiting for something to open up but it never does and nothing else will.
If I leave it off for a bit it will start up fine, but other wise it will do this and randomly freeze later.
I've also gotten this :

Retired
Not applicable
nametagg wrote:
So flashing the bios will fix it? Its normal except its like everything is "not responding" but without the message. Its like waiting for something to open up but it never does and nothing else will.
If I leave it off for a bit it will start up fine, but other wise it will do this and randomly freeze later.
I've also gotten this :

Contact newegg support for even refurbs come with a limited warrenty help and support.

Flashing vbios and bios does not void warrenty. It is a simple process but there is a small chance it can error make sure to either print all instructions or have a secondary pc to use to follow along with online while doing. If not sure you want to wade in on this type of task contact a local computer repair center and see if they can do it and how much they charge. As for the screen shot I recall one time windows update caused this to one of my other machines. Have you let it run through the whole check or are you aborting it by hitting any key? Let it run through the whole disc check. Once it has and it keeps trying to run disc check on every restart there are one of two problems. One harddrive has bad sectors and a complete reinstall of windows 7 with a full format may fix it or second it is a check disc error and a google search will give you info like this http://www.technize.com/check-disk-chkdsk-runs-every-time-windows-starts/ you could try disabling it. I did this to one of my other machines that was on windows xp some years ago and the harddrive is still working to this day.

Retired
Not applicable
Honestly its just not worth it, if someone from Asus was supposed to make sure it was operating correctly in the first place, why would it be fixed correctly when I send it in. (It wasn't in perfect condition so it had to have been used and returned)

I'd rather not wait weeks for a product that is supposed to work, to be "fixed", when chances are it will come back with a part replaced that wont solve the issue. The LED back lighting for the keyboard no longer works now too.

I'd rather just build a more powerful desktop, buy a larger monitor, and a reliable back lit keyboard for the same price.

I suppose the only reason I would want to keep it would be if I was able to take it somewhere like Geek Squad for it to be repaired, and have Asus reimburse me, which obviously would not happen.

Retired
Not applicable
could be a defective harddrive, have you tried reformat a clean install?

Retired
Not applicable
Clean install as in re installing windows? I purchased it "re-certified" from newegg and it didn't come with any software.

Retired
Not applicable
Also, does flashing the bios void the warrenty?

Retired
Not applicable
As I have no idea as to how long it sat on shelf at newegg I can't say as to when it was up to date to. Bios 209 and 211 fixes keyboard lights and other things vbios fixes video card so it can run up to date ati drivers. I am not a asus flag waver but I can say anytime you buy a cutting edge high performance protuct it does make for more work on your end as a user. So do updates or don't up to you. I just try to point to tools that may help you.