cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems booting

ledba
Level 7
Hello, i just build this computer and having some troubles. Im using a maximus VIII hero mobo with a 6700k cpu.
I only installed 1ssd, 1 8gb ram stick, gpu & keyboard/mouse. First time it boots im gettting this message:

"Please enter setup to recover bios setting.
When raid configuration was built, ensure to set sata configuration to raid mode.
Press f1 to run setup."

I can only press f1 - going into bios. In storage configuration, sata mode selection is set to ahci. I set up to boot from disc, format ssd, installed windows. But then after windows verifies the files, to complete the install it reboots and i get no post. It keeps looping/restarting like bios is corrupted or something. Then i have to reset cmos and im back to square one.. Same message as before.
Tried about everything, im not sure what the problem is.
I cant flash, update the bios (bios version is 0214 x64) atm because i dont have the files on usb. Tried with the disc that came with the mobo but that doesnt work.
Under ez flash utility i can see that windows had been installed to the ssd, files are there.
It seems if i change something, like hyperthreading off for example in the bios and restart i get no post either and have to reset cmos.

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: i notice that i can boot into Windows when using "Windows boot manager (ssd)" but when i restart it just goes dark again, have to clear cmos then. If i try to boot from regular ssd i get a message that theres no os installed.

Excuse my english btw, not my native language.
12 REPLIES 12

ledba
Level 7
Seems updating/flashing the bios to the latest version fixed it.

Hi,

I'm also having this exact same issue. I have a Maximus Gene VIII though.

This is my current spec:
Intel CPU i5 6600 (not OC'd)
Asus Maximus Gene VIII
Asus GTX1070 Strix (not OC'd)
32GB DDR4 2133Mhz (Gskill 4x8GB) (not OC'd)
64GB SSD Disk for booting OS
500 GB Samsung 970 NVME for heavier games
3TB SATA disk for storage / other games
Windows 10 Home Edition

This issue started when I switched my GPU from a GTX560 TI to GTX1070. I've updated the BIOS to the most recent version, but has not solved.
Also checked on other forums and they suggested setting OS Type = "Other OS", under Boot\Secure Boot. I've always had this setting as suggested, so that's not the issue either. I've also formatted Windows some times, but hasn't helped either. SATA mode Selection has always been set to AHCI.

Should I set the SATA mode Selection to RAID and install Windows 10 again?

When I get the error message, the BIOS settings are set to default values and the system date is changed to 01/01/2009...

Any idea what this could be?

Thanks in advance,
Walid

JustinThyme
Level 13
Have you reset your BIOS to optimized defaults?
What errors are you getting?
What Qcode?
Do you have the GPU in the correct slot?
This could be something other than the GPU and just coincidental. Generally if the GPU fails, it fails. You wont see anything even in the BIOS. My initial thought is RAM.
Check you Qcode and it it indicates RAM then start with one stick in the A1 slot.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Check your battery on the board is still working

Hi all,

Thanks for the tips.

Just changed the battery, but did not solve.
Also reset the BIOS to optimized values but same thing.
GPU is on the correct slot.
The only error I get is this:
When raid configuration was built, ensure to set sata configuration to raid mode.
Press f1 to run setup."
I'll check the Qcode when I get home tonight.

Notice I'm able to enter Windows and play games without any problems. I just think it's strange to get this error.
After getting the error, if I press F1 and then exit without changing configs or saving anything, I'm able to proceed into Windows properly.

Yesterday I noticed this only happens if I turn off the PC's electrical switch on the plug sock. When I turn on the PC I get the error.
If I only shut down the PC, but don't turn off the plug sock switch, I don't get any error.

wka13 wrote:
hi all,

thanks for the tips.

Just changed the battery, but did not solve.
Also reset the bios to optimized values but same thing.
Gpu is on the correct slot.
The only error i get is this:
"please enter setup to recover bios setting.
Press f1 to run setup."
i'll check the qcode when i get home tonight.

Notice i'm able to enter windows and play games without any problems. I just think it's strange to get this error.
After getting the error, if i press f1 and then exit without changing configs or saving anything, i'm able to proceed into windows properly.

Yesterday i noticed this only happens if i turn off the pc's electrical switch on the plug sock. When i turn on the pc i get the error.
If i only shut down the pc, but don't turn off the plug sock switch, i don't get any error.

i had the same problem and i solved this how i change the bios battary

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Have you cleared CMOS after putting in a fresh battery? (I presume it's a new battery)

And is the BIOS date resetting still?

Checked the Qcode, it's "A0 - IDE Initialization is started".
I'll try clearing the BIOS.
Yes, it's a new battery 🙂

Just cleared CMOS, but without success.
Do do this, did the following:
1-I shut down the PC, but left cord connected to plug sock.
2-Pessed the clear CMOS button for some seconds 10/15.
3-Booted up the system.

I got the error as always along with A0 Qcode
Press f1 to run setup."

Next, I'll try changing BIOS to RAID instead of AHCI and install windows 10 again.