cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Strix 980ti high idle temps.

sol_jah
Level 7
So I'm new to the forum, and I noticed that my 980 ti idle temps are high while not having any load on the GPU. Just browsing the web or watching YouTube videos and it just sits at 59C and sometimes hovering up to 61C. Anyone can help me out? I also notice my PG278q led light on the bottom right corner is always red while just being on the desktop screen with no games or any thing running in the background.
14 REPLIES 14

Adamantis
Level 7
If im not mistaken the Strix 980 Ti has the fans off until it reaches 60c.

When i had a Strix 980 Ti (returned it yesterday because of bad coil whine) the idle temps for me could be anything between 40-50c while everything else in my case was around 28-30c. If i turned off the 0dB thing in GPU Tweak II (upper right corner is a switch for it) then the fans will begin to spin at 33% and my idle temps for the GPU would go down to 31-33c. My room temperature is usually around 25-26c.

What are the other temps like in your system, room temperature etc?

Chino
Level 15
Remember that the Strix GTX 980 Ti uses the 0dB Fan Technology which means that the fans won't come on until the GPU temperature reaches 65C. So your idle temperature is in check.

Chino wrote:
Remember that the Strix GTX 980 Ti uses the 0dB Fan Technology which means that the fans won't come on until the GPU temperature reaches 65C. So your idle temperature is in check.

I thought baseline is 60C before fans turn up.
Live your life the way you want, not the way others want!

sol_jah
Level 7
Well in my room ambient temperature is around 29c, dont really know my temps inside my system, should be close to ambient i'm pretty sure.

Adamantis
Level 7
You can use Hwinfo to check temps. It gives you more or less all temps, cpu, mb, gpu, drives etc and you can see min/max temps and also average temps if you keep it running in the background.

Your gpu temps are probably quite normal though.

Braxos
Level 7
Have you changed from nvidia to maximum performance maybe? Then the card runs at 1190 base clock of the card and don't go down to 100+ clock so the card can stay on lower temp at desktop.

Braxos wrote:
Have you changed from nvidia to maximum performance maybe? Then the card runs at 1190 base clock of the card and don't go down to 100+ clock so the card can stay on lower temp at desktop.
You mean on the Nvidia control panel? Under the "Adjust image settings with preview." By Changing it from quality to performance?

sol jah wrote:
You mean on the Nvidia control panel? Under the "Adjust image settings with preview." By Changing it from quality to performance?

Exactly that. If you change it to performance from adaptive it will use the base clock speed(1190) of the card as minimum, instead of 190, let's in desktop idle. My is at 50-53 if I am not mistaken with adaptive, I will check tonight. For sure it is at 69-70 with tweak 2 OC profile , 75-76 with custom oc with custom fan curve. I am not posting speeds since they may differ from card to card.

Braxos wrote:
Exactly that. If you change it to performance from adaptive it will use the base clock speed(1190) of the card as minimum, instead of 190, let's in desktop idle. My is at 50-53 if I am not mistaken with adaptive, I will check tonight. For sure it is at 69-70 with tweak 2 OC profile , 75-76 with custom oc with custom fan curve. I am not posting speeds since they may differ from card to card.
What do you mean by adaptive though, because I only see Performance, then the middle is Balanced, then the final option is Quality.