cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Final battle ! ASUS vs MSI

JackMack
Level 7
(note) this is my last topic for now so if you can help somehow, go ahead write some opinions

Sometime next month I will probably get a brand new laptop; either the ASUS GT751JT or the MSI GT72-G(sync)

What I really want to know is why one over the other ?

I know that :

- ASUS has better and silent cooling while MSI has turbo boost and it also benefits from a cooling pad
- MSI has better audio while ASUS being decent,it has some sound issues out of the box.
- MSI is much more upgradable while ASUS looks and feels sturdier
- ASUS keyboard will stay red forever while MSI can put on a light show
- ASUS has the i7-4710HQ vs the MSI i7-5700HQ
- MSI comes with G-sync, both have the gtx 970M and cost 1500$

3 things I care the most in a laptop (besides software that works), everything else being secondary :

*durability (hopefully something that would last me at least 3 years)

*cooling (staying cool while under stress)

*customer support (it's more of a dream, I doubt it exists, both MSI & ASUS being pretty bad...)
60 REPLIES 60

joshindaphils
Level 11
So what is wrong with your nearly identical thead here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?74509-G751JT-vs-GT72

There is no need for a new thread, please consolidate the conversation. All of those things were already discussed in your old thread as well. You are not going to get any significant number of people that have solid experience with both machines, and I would bet most of them commented on your old thread already.

You even answer your own question number 2 with you first list of things you know heheh. It's okay man just take a deep breath and click order. Flip a coin if you need to 😛

I would suggest going to a brick and mortar store and put hands on each if you can. That may sway your opinion more than anything.

joshindaphils wrote:
So what is wrong with your nearly identical thead here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?74509-G751JT-vs-GT72

There is no need for a new thread, please consolidate the conversation. All of those things were already discussed in your old thread as well. You are not going to get any significant number of people that have solid experience with both machines, and I would bet most of them commented on your old thread already.

You even answer your own question number 2 with you first list of things you know heheh. It's okay man just take a deep breath and click order. Flip a coin if you need to 😛

I would suggest going to a brick and mortar store and put hands on each if you can. That may sway your opinion more than anything.

It's a big decision you know, and I'd rather not flip a coin. I guess I'm just waiting for enough people that say go for one or the other. Also wish I could lock the other thread since I feel this one is more professional...

Edit by cl-Albert: Okay, other thread has been closed and a link to this thread provided.

Also, if you it makes sense to you, you may want to tell us what things are most important to you or are deal-breakers although it's possible you may not know some of these things until after you buy and use the notebook (you may want to purchase from a reseller with a good return policy in this case?). Good luck!

Well your in an Asus forum, we all like our G notebooks if you want someone to talk you into the MSI go on over to their forum or for real diversity then Notebook review Forum
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Well your in an Asus forum, we all like our G notebooks if you want someone to talk you into the MSI go on over to their forum or for real diversity then Notebook review Forum

I've posted this on the MSI forum as well. Just wanna get some answers from Asus people to why they like or dislike the G751 series !?

Ok then I bought my G75VW in July 2012 I have a RMA right off with the right speaker not working at all. This RMA was wasted as all they did was image the original image to my hard drive/SSD and send it back. The right speaker still did not work. Some time in early 2013 I started having issues with the track pad and keyboard I this time Started the RMA and then PM cl-albert and informed him of my issues including the right speaker not working. This RMA took about 3 weeks a new mother board, track pad, keyboard and cables were all replaced if I remember right they notebook has worked flawlessly ever since I guess about 38 months now. It still serves me well although I usually buy an new one every three years, I see some issues with the G751JY that kept me from getting this one however I most likely will buy with the next generation coming up. I have one last comment When I buy the next one I will pay a little bit extra and purchase through a custom vendor where I'll get the Pro version of windows, custom repasting of CPU and GPU the latest M.2 main OS driver Also at least some of then run a though break in testing. I feel that this should eliminate most of the issues we see here in these forums. And Yep its probably going to cost me a few hundred more for this service but my odds of having a RMA will be really slimmed down. I work remotely and having to RMA my notebook really put me in a bind and I lose money if I can't find a replacement to get me through the RMA Time. I really got spoiled with Gateway they would just send you replacement FedEx next day if there tech support couldn't get you going again. All I would have to do put my hard drive and RAM in and I was back in business. I went through 5 of there notebooks just for that reason. When that went away I looked around and Asus M70SA looked good to me. My only complaint was Vista Asus never did support Win 7 for that model. It lasted me 4 + years to when I bought the G75VW . Even with the horrible tech support and Repair stations nightmares I will buy Asus again with out any other thought,
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Well I have never been on MSI Gaming Forum, are you getting technical answers over there. I think that these forums alone would be good reason to buy Asus Gaming. What are the work around for their overheating issues? Are they even actually having temp issues. Upgradability are you really up for paying the cost to upgrade a Video card? Or 2 in SLI? 2 or 3 years down the road. I think you'll more likely be ready for a new notebook anyway.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

InfernoStorm
Level 10
Yeah like what Clint said, you're likely to get more biased answers here so maybe not the best idea. I would consider asking on Tom's Hardware, Anandtech, reddit, or Overclock.net for better unbiased advice. I personally would go for the ASUS G751JT because I've had really bad experiences in the past owning MSI netbooks and laptops. My ASUS laptop has lasted me more than 3 times longer than both the netbook and laptop combined from MSI. Quality over everything else, that's all I gotta say.

Edweird
Level 10
While I really like the MSI's keyboard, I got used to the red pretty much instantly. The audio I am completely content with once I adjusted it right. I don't count upgradability as a plus since MXM boards are extremely expensive and not a good investment imo.

G-SYNC, i think is the only plus but then again there are G751s with G-SYNC, too...

clockworksatan
Level 7
- ASUS has better and silent cooling while MSI has turbo boost and it also benefits from a cooling pad
- I wouldn't call a cooling pad a benefit! It's just an extra expense that you don't need to incur with a G751 as it's ability to stay cool quietly is unbeatable

- MSI has better audio while ASUS being decent,it has some sound issues out of the box.
- The G751's audio isn't actually bad at all; it just needs a little tweaking to get sounding right - but with both laptops you'd be better off with headphones or a gaming headset (or a decent external audio system) if you're looking for top sound quality.

- MSI is much more upgradable while ASUS looks and feels sturdier
- Upgradeability in laptops is (usually) a bit of an oxymoron. While you may be able to upgrade the CPU & perhaps the GPU, you'll still be a slave to the intrinsic architecture of the motherboard, so it's not really a selling point in my opinion

- ASUS keyboard will stay red forever while MSI can put on a light show
- Ah, but the G751's keyboard is also much nicer to use with it's wonderful tactile, springy keys. A multi-coloured lightshow is just flashy and pointless.

- ASUS has the i7-4710HQ vs the MSI i7-5700HQ
- Hmm, my G751JT come with the 4720HQ. There's barely anything in it when you compare them. See here.

- MSI comes with G-sync, both have the gtx 970M and cost 1500$
- G-Sync is a contentious issue right now with the Asus machines, but it's not a deal-breaker as there will no doubt be ways of getting it working once someone figures it out.

So... Like others have said you'll get biased responses on here, but I'll say this: I done an absolute ton of research before going with the Asus and I'm really glad I did. It's a great machine and, overall, I think it's better than the MSI.
Asus ROG G751JT-T7115H
17.3" IPS, Intel i7-4720HQ, 16Gb RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX970m, 256Gb M.2 SSD + 1Tb SSHD