cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY Battery plugged in, not charging

TheKnight
Level 7
As the title says when I plug the cable to charge the laptop it says ''Plugged in, not charging''. The 1st time this happened I unistalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery, restarted my PC and then went back and clicked ''Scan for changes''. It seemed to be fixed. Today I did that but it didn't work so unistalled ACPI and Microsoft AC Adapter, restarted, checked for changes, restarted again and nothing happened. Pls note that I'm not talking about the safety feature when the battery is at 95%, when I plug mine it's at 10%. Although a few minutes(5-10 min) after I plug the cable in it starts charging. ( I checked for updates for these 2 drivers). Please help me!!!! ( I have the G751JY, BIOS version: 209 , Windows 10 and everything updated. I have this laptop for 2 weeks).

Edit by cl-Albert: Duplicate thread deleted 🙂 .
11 REPLIES 11

dorioo
Level 7
Isn't this a safety feature to try to prolong the long term battery life? Basically, it doesn't start charging while plugged in under some circumstances it hits about 95% of the charge. Many smart phones do a similar thing.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
dorioo wrote:
Isn't this a safety feature to try to prolong the long term battery life? Basically, it doesn't start charging while plugged in under some circumstances it hits about 95% of the charge. Many smart phones do a similar thing.

Yes, as long as the battery charges when it is below 95%, it's normal.

Not sure why it was removed and hoping we can include this information in future user manuals, but if you're interested, there is an FAQ on the ASUS website below for the older ROG models about this which should still apply to these models.

http://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1003960/

Thank you cl-Albert for deleting my other thread because it was useless but I'm not talking about the safety feature, when I plug my charger the battery's at 10%

ciccio80
Level 9
TheKnight wrote:
As the title says when I plug the cable to charge the laptop it says ''Plugged in, not charging''. The 1st time this happened I unistalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery, restarted my PC and then went back and clicked ''Scan for changes''. It seemed to be fixed. Today I did that but it didn't work so unistalled ACPI and Microsoft AC Adapter, restarted, checked for changes, restarted again and nothing happened. Pls note that I'm not talking about the safety feature when the battery is at 95%, when I plug mine it's at 10%. Although a few minutes(5-10 min) after I plug the cable in it starts charging. ( I checked for updates for these 2 drivers). Please help me!!!! ( I have the G751JY, BIOS version: 208 , Windows 10 and everything updated. I have this laptop for 2 weeks).

Edit by cl-Albert: Duplicate thread deleted 🙂 .

Well the charging problem happened once to me too, when I drained accidentally the battery completely (0%).
After 10-15 min fortunately started recharging. My advice is do not let the battery drain under 10% (I belive most Lithium batteries work best if you don't drain them <5-10%

I actually plug in my laptop when steam sends me a message (in-game) that I have only 8 min of battery which means I have 10-12%. What can I do to fix the charging problem though?

TheKnight wrote:
I actually plug in my laptop when steam sends me a message (in-game) that I have only 8 min of battery which means I have 10-12%. What can I do to fix the charging problem though?

I would go for an RMA with documentation of exactly what the issue is and how to reproduce it (hopefully it is not intermittent in nature). This is not expected behavior and it doesn't sound software related, your previous success with the ACPI drivers could of just be happenstance.

What does your battery report look like?

Click start, run then put the below in the text box:

powercfg /batteryreport /output %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\battery_report.html

Open the resultant HTML file that appears on your desktop... may not be helpful, it may give some clues as to what is going on.

I'm assuming you are 100% sure everything is plugged in, green light on power brick etc.

So, I have to plug in the cable when the battery is above 10%. If I plug it at 10% it will not charge but in 5-10 min it will start charging. Although when the battery is not charging the system is using power from the cable because I see that the battery isn't dropping, is just not charging. file: C:/Users/RobertPol/Desktop/battery_report.html

TheKnight wrote:
So, I have to plug in the cable when the battery is above 10%. If I plug it at 10% it will not charge but in 5-10 min it will start charging. Although when the battery is not charging the system is using power from the cable because I see that the battery isn't dropping, is just not charging. file: C:/Users/RobertPol/Desktop/battery_report.html

FYI your file didn't attach... you may have to post screenshots.

What is your usage scenario before charging at 10% is this after gaming? This *could* be some type of thermal protection before charging the battery.

For instance if you are gaming and get to 10% and you see this delayed charging behavior, then what happens if you get to 10% shut down for 10 min turn it on then plug it in, does it immediately start charging then? A third test would be to let it get to 10% under a low load (web surfing / playing video) and see if it starts charging right away when plugged in.

If all of those cases are true and consistent I would have to assume it is the system taking care of the battery and everything is 100%.

Yes, this happens only after gaming so it is a protecting action for my battery. Thanks for your reply because I didn't know this thing existed and now I am so relieved that everything is ok.

Thanks for your help. Cheers mate 😄