cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 way SLI Problem 980 Ti Strix

RB1988
Level 7
Dear forum members I am seeking for an advice.

Here is my Problem:

Got these nice 3x 980 Ti, the middle and right fan is touching the backplate of the cards even the cards are enough tightened. Is there any fix?

My System.
CPU i7-4930K
RAM: CORSAIR VENGEANCE 32GB (Non Kit)
PSU: Coolermaster 1300W Silent Hybrid
GPU: 3x Asus 980 ti STRIX (OC Edition)
CASE: HAF-X

This is my first Build.

Hope you can help me.

Thanks in Advance
21 REPLIES 21

RB1988
Level 7
Sorry Chino my bad. I am using the Rampage 4 Extreme. Thank You for the willingness to help me out.

Nate152
Hello RB1988

For 3 way sli slot configuration 1-2-4 you should have gone with the reference 980ti but what you can do is use something as a spacer such as a little piece of cardboard or something similar.

Or you could use slots 1-3-6 and use ribbon cables to connect them in sli.

RB1988
Level 7
Hi Nate thank You for the help. The thing was where the sli bridge is attached, there is enough space but when it comes to mid and right end part of the card the fans would touch the backplate. When I unboxed 1 card I noticed 1 screw was loose in the plastic packaging. I noticed all the screws on all cards are loose. This maybe the reason why the cards mid and right end parts of the cards are touching the other card's backplate. I RMA'd all the cards back to Mindfactory.de I requested a brand new exchange for all three cards. If I dont get new cards I hope they could fix this problem.

Nate152
Loose screws is not a good thing and could very well be contributing to the fans touching. When you get your strix 980ti's back check that all screws are tight, if any are loose get out the small screw driver and tighten them.

Give us an update when you get them installed again. 🙂

RB1988
Level 7
Hi Nate just got my Cards back from Mindfactory.de and I got a note that the Cards have not been changed into new or repaired. Apparently Mindfactory.de did'nt check the cards well. I am going to check for the cards later because I just came from work. Is there any other things to use as a spacer? Wont it break the cards when I use a spacer? For the 1-3-6 configuration how will it work? How do I connect the ribbon cables? Is there also a large SLI Bridge for that set-up? Will the 1-3-6 configuration also work in my HAF-X case?

Nate152
I think I would try and get them working in slots 1-2-4 like you had, tighten up the screws if any are still loose. When you mount them in your case you should be able to move them from side to side a little before tightening the screw in the pci bracket, that might let you space them just far enough apart that the fans don't touch.

If the fans still touch it won't break your gpu's using a small piece of cardbaord or something similar as a spacer, you don't want to use anything too thick as it will put tension on the pcie slots. I've seen people use fishing line to pull them apart a little too.

If you have to resort to slot 1-3-6 configuration here is a photo of long 3 way sli bridge, asrock has this long 3 way sli bridge, you can check with them to see if it is the one you'd need. One advantage of this configuration is they would run cooler.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1226191/lightbox/post/18259101/id/1067275

Or you would need to get three long flexible sli bridges and connect them like this.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1226191/lightbox/post/16658110/id/773170

RB1988
Level 7
Hi Nate just tightened all the screws from all the 3 cards. I removed the the DirectCU3 Unit by unscrewing the the back screws that hold it together, then I tightened all the backplate screws and the gpu fortifier. All screws were loose. My question before I gonna install the cards on the next weekend is: Do I have to remove the old Thermal Compound, clean the chip and cooler and then reapply new Thermal Compound? Is there anywhere in the Internet where I can order spacers? I read in this forum that someone used already rubber spacers http://forums.evga.com/3Way-SLI-GTX780-Ti-03GP42883KR-Spacing-m2118422.aspx (sorry Admin if I break any forum rule).

Nate152
If you removed the cooler yes you will need to clean off the old thermal compound and apply new.

I don't think there are any "official" gpu spacers, do the fans still touch after tightening everything up?