cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clicking nosie whenever I turn off system or whenever sytem starts up after post

acand001
Level 7
Hey guys, new to the forums, also to to Asus Rog motherboards.
I recently purchased the new z170 asus Hero motherboard and every time after computer POST there is a mechanical click noise and every time I turn off the sytem, it also makes the same noise. This is my second asus hero motherboard and both motherboards have the same issue. Im just worried if it is an issue or is just what the motherboard supposed to do.

Previously, I had this two motherboards:
MSI z170 krait edition and that motherboard did not make the noise.
gigabyte z170x gaming 7 and that did not make the noise.

System Specs
Intel 6600k not overclocked
Asus z170 rog hero motheboard
evga gtx 780
curical elite ddr4 8gb 2x4gb
rosewill photon 550w gold power supply
nzxt kraken x61
850 evo 250gb
western blue 1tb
10 REPLIES 10

salman31
Level 7
Exact same thing happens with my Maximus VIII Ranger. I guess that might be from the relay. Wait for the veterans to answer though.

m4x2012
Level 8
Maybe the relay for headphones?

Desmond86
Level 7
There is a clicking sound on my system too but it's the PSU making it and not the HERO.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/228087-psu-evga-supernova-750w-g2-general-click-noise/

acand001
Level 7
So I should not be worried? Because when I have the msi krait z170 installed the psu does not make that noise and same for the gigabyte motherboard. I still have msi one, but I wanted something better so I went with the gigabyte z170x gaming 7 first, but the gigabyte had sound driver issues so I returned it. I ended getting the asus. The first hero motherboard had the clicking issue so I asked Amazon for a replacement because I was worried and now the second motherboard has the same click noise.

acand001
Level 7
Well Something strange is going on, every time I insert headphone it makes that click noise. When the supremefx suite detects headphones it clicks also when it checks for impedance. Is that normal?

acand001 wrote:
Well Something strange is going on, every time I insert headphone it makes that click noise. When the supremefx suite detects headphones it clicks also when it checks for impedance. Is that normal?

As already sayed, it was the de-pop relay:

m4x2012 wrote:
As already sayed, it was the de-pop relay:

If that were the case, why does it not happen with my msi or gigabyte mobo?

salman31
Level 7
After googling on this issue it seems to be normal. The sound is from the relay that Asus has been using on the motherboard. My previous mobo was Asus P6T which still working great until now.
That is why I have chosen the ROG series this time as I dp like Asus boards.

Raja
Level 13
The relay is used to prevent DC thump during power up and switch off. The click is the relay latching and unlatching. Nothing to worry about.