cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there Thunderbolt on G750JX-T4099H or Mini Display Port only?

Doctrus
Level 7
Hi, I have a G750JX-T4099H laptop that I would like to use with a Thunderbolt device (other than a display).

I've tried connecting a Sonnet Echo ExpressCard Pro (Thunderbolt) but this is not showing up as connected anywhere. ... Im getting that sinking feeling that I dont have full Thunderbolt and it is just a mini displayport. In this respect I have a couple of questions I hope someone can answer:

1. Is there anyway I use this port for all Thunderbolt devices such as the Sonnet?
2. Perhaps I can swap motherboard hardware from a donor or there is something I can add on?

Thank you for any thoughts! 🙂
3 REPLIES 3

Doctrus
Level 7
It looks like it is a Mini Display port. Disappointing that it is advertised as having Thunderbolt and it does not.

Is there anyway of updating the motherboard or swapping with a donor? Anyone?

code9523
Level 9
On asus spec list ther is an optional thunderbolt port in g750jx
here: http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JX/specifications/
But you can try to download a thunderbolt driver from G750jm it's located in OTHER from
here: http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JM/HelpDesk_Download/
And try a thunderbolt hardware with your laptop.
Asus G74SX> Asus G55VW 3D> Asus G75VW 3D> Asus G750JW> Asus G750JX> Asus G750JH

Doctrus
Level 7
Thank you, that was a great idea. I installed the Intel Driver for Thunderbolt, but sadly it still does not recognise the device when attached. I also did some poking around the Bios and I can find no mention of Thunderbolt either, which I think other G750 users would normally see (if this was available). I did come across another post that said it is marked clearly with a Thunderbolt logo next to the port. This does not...

It looks like either finding a donor motherboard, with Thunderbolt, or upgrading the laptop are the only options. Real shame this is not standard on all the gaming ROG laptops, none of them lack the power to handle it... Hopefully this will soon be a thing of the past.

Thanks for your suggestions!