Asus R5E
thermaltake 3.0 perfomer aio
Kingston HX426C15FBK4/16 16Gb 2666Mhz
hd radeon msi 6950
seasonic X-1050 psu 1050 watt
crucial 128 gb mx ssd
wd 1 tb hdd
LG dvd rw

Running win 7 64 on a small lian-li testbench.

I recently bought the R5E and a 5820k and when this weekend the ddr4 set arrived I could build the whole thing. After running a few test and all seems good, I flashed the first bios from 1401 to 1601.
That was that. The flashing proces when ok. But after I had flashed the bios it would get stuck in a bootloop "00". I have tried various things.
tried flashing back with usb in combi with the rog button. No joy. With start up dvd. No joy. clearing cmos etc. No joy. Removed all parts and let the board dry out of curent in order to build up again with only the cpu, 1 stick of ram. No joy.
Carefully inspected the cpu and socket, no bent pins or other broken parts I could visually see. Tried copying the bios trew the bios. No joy. It looks like one of the bios chips broken down. I don't really know what to check next.
Are these chips swapable; Hot swap ? So I can check if the problem moves allong with swapping the bios chips. Is there any thing I need to look out for when swaping these chips. Is this even possible ?

For the record: Bios 2 runs fine. Flashed that to 1601. Stress tested the cpu on a mild overclock of 4 Ghz. No problems at all.

What are my options. RMA the board ? Or are there any more test I can run in order to fix the problem. Is there something I haven't thought about or missing.

All help and tips are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
12 REPLIES 12

Chino
Level 15
The BIOS chips are user replaceable. If you RMA, you will have to send the whole motherboard to ASUS. If you decide to replace them on your own, you can try looking for the chips at the ASUS eStore or from a third party seller on Ebay.

5erveD
Level 7
Thanks for the fast response.

Do I need any kind of special tools to replace these chips ? Or is there a ' how to' somewhere about swapping them. I dont think it is hard to perform the procedure.
But prefer a little know how cuz I never swapped a bios chip before. I tried to google it but couldn't find anything.

Chino
Level 15

Onimax
Level 8
A flat screw driver will also totally suffice.

Pulling out chips the students fried on a regular basis at work that way. ^^
(The professional tool is safely locked away, while the screwdriver on my desk is always in reach - laziness always wins ;))

Vlada011
Level 10
That's excellent when customer could replace BIOS chips if some problem show up.
I never done that and I would leave to official service do that for me... If motherboard work and one BIOS make problem no reason for RMA.
You should only contact ASUS how to find second working BIOS chip.
Every manufacturer should build mobo with replaceable BIOS switches at least two of them.

5erveD
Level 7
Thanks.

Just looked at some chip pullers. Shouldn't be that difficult to find one close by. Can always use a screwdriver or a tweezer.
Some also used a bent paperclip I saw. Looked kinda risky.

I am hoping that my fatvorite shop is able to deliver the bios chip.
After removing the chip and replacing it with a new one is it a simple matter of flashing the chip to the latest bios ?
Or do I have to perform some more steps ?

@Vlada011

I prefer 2 of them.
So it is easy to switch them when working with extreme forms of cooling.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40

5erveD
Level 7
Much obliged for the given information.
The link for the bios chip is also much appreciated.

Goucho
Level 8
Geez man ( OP ) why mess with it, once you touch it you will void your warranty! Get it sent back!
All replies to my posts are really appreciated, thank you 🙂

Overclock results:-

GTX980 @ 1527.5MHz Core/7603MHz Memory