cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL551JW-DS74 defective?? How to perform a clean windows install?

OzMFG
Level 7
Hello everyone. I purchased a refurbished GL551JW-DS74 the harware was ok but the OS came installed on the HDD and not on the SSD (my ssd is totally empty ) and there was no recovery partition. So i just want to know if it is normal that the OS is installed on the HDD. I think it isnt since the laptop failed constantly when i first used since some drivers were still missing so i have to manually tweak and install some things on the OS for the laptop to work properly. I've already contacted asus support and they say that since it is a refurbished laptop the OS can be installed on either disk ( which i find stupid). In addition, secure boot and uefi is disabled.

I will really appreciate your help in two things: (1) To know if it is normal that no secure boot is enabled and that the OS is installed on the HDD rather than in the SSD. (2) Some guidance on how to perform a clean install on my SSD of windows 8.1 to be as much closer to the original install.

I cannot ask for RMAs since I am overseas now.

Thanks for your help
6 REPLIES 6

aeolisio
Level 10
1. I have seen it a few times if it bothers you just clone it or better yet do the upgrade and clean install windows 10 on the ssd
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?72650-How-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-upgrade-and-clean-insta...
2.You can clone it there are multiple guides already in these forums.
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

OzMFG
Level 7
Thanks for your help. I would prefer to make a clean install rather than cloning but i will keep it in mind. Anyway, now I am not sure if the performance will be better or if its worth to reintall everything. The boot time is really fast. I used to have a Lenovo Y50 and it took ages to boot. I am attaching the print screen of my disk management tab. Windows is installed on HDD right?

Clintlgm
Level 14
OzMFG wrote:
Hello everyone. I purchased a refurbished GL551JW-DS74 the harware was ok but the OS came installed on the HDD and not on the SSD (my ssd is totally empty ) and there was no recovery partition. So i just want to know if it is normal that the OS is installed on the HDD. I think it isnt since the laptop failed constantly when i first used since some drivers were still missing so i have to manually tweak and install some things on the OS for the laptop to work properly. I've already contacted asus support and they say that since it is a refurbished laptop the OS can be installed on either disk ( which i find stupid). In addition, secure boot and uefi is disabled.

I will really appreciate your help in two things: (1) To know if it is normal that no secure boot is enabled and that the OS is installed on the HDD rather than in the SSD. (2) Some guidance on how to perform a clean install on my SSD of windows 8.1 to be as much closer to the original install.

I cannot ask for RMAs since I am overseas now.

Thanks for your help

The reason SecureBoot is disabled is because your installed MBR Legacy. I would put a minimum install of 8.1 on your SSD in UEFI Mode then upgrade to 10

get your install media here be sure to download the 64 bit core, when you boot the USB hit your Esc key that will bring up a boot menu. from there select UEFI USB and continue the install. Your embedded key should activate it and the install itself will create all the correct partitions. You will find the approved Asus Support Download drivers here these will work.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Thanks for your answer. Do you recommend upgrading to W10 because it comes with all the updated drivers? Should I remove my HDD before installing? I am already creating the installation media, will update when done.

Thank you for everything

Upgrading to Win 10 is purely up to you. I believe Asus is supporting win 10 for your model if not then I would avoid upgrading. Its really up to you. You might want to have a look around the 10 Forums and read all the threads here for issues people that have the same notebook as you. I personally don't think I will upgrade my G75VW I'm very happy with 8.1 Pro. I am running 10 on one of my desktops with a fairly new motherboard. It works ok but nothing that makes me want to upgrade my 3 + year old notebook. Or my business computers. I probably will upgrade my business computer before July 29 2016 by then they should have the worst of the bugs worked out.

You don't have to take out your 2nd hard drive, I usually do just to insure my boot manager has no chance screwing up and getting on the wrong drive.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

aeolisio
Level 10
You dont need to remove your hdd you can select the proper drive in the install. You will need to download some drivers from asus and intel/nvidia see my guide or the sticky for downloads.
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]