Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Junior Member Array

X99, SLI, and M.2 RAID 0

I would like to set up a new system with the Rampage V Extreme, 2 Asus 980's, and 2 Samsung XP951 512gb on M.2 PCI-e based SSD to PCI-e X4 adapters in RAID 0. Is this even possible? I have a feeling that it would be possible if I wasn't running the 2 980's.

Link to the adapter: http://www.amazon.com/NGFF-Based-Ada...2ZJB2BE3ZBSTRX

Anyone got any input on this. Would be great to hear from someone from Asus. I've seen video of this on YouTube. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=27GmBzQWwP0

ROG Enthusiast Array

well, first you'd need the 40 lanes of a 5960x or 5930k cpu...but even with those, you'd be using all 40 lanes if your gpu's were in the x16 slots

that'd certainly cause problems with the shared bandwidth of any usb3 and/or sata-e connections, imho

i have no idea about running the m.2 sticks in raid though, sorry

Very interesting idea and great if it would work. With two GPU cards in place and two X4 PCI-E cards in place i think it may work.

You would i guess put the GPU 980 in Slot PCIE_X16_1 and Slot PCIE_x16_3 to give yourself the best SLI throughput.
    You could put SSD X4 card in Slot PCIE_X4_1 and the other in PCIE_X8_4, this would however disable somethings on your system.

Populating PCIE_X4_8 with an X4 device would disable the on-board M.2 and depending on the CPU you have installed and the bandwidth is shared between them. Also the PCIE_X4_1 slots shares USB3_910 and Sata Express _E1 connections. See picture below from the manual.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Expansion.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	42140

I don't believe you would be able to use the Intel raid to make the Array and i guess you would need to use a different piece of software. Would you then want to BOOT from this? Mmmm not sure this would be possible but i am sure someone from ASUS can shed more light and correct my misunderstandings...

Please let us know though if you do this it would be very interesting to see this work and the speed you achieve.

Thanks
    Obsidian 800D Case
    Rampage Extreme 5 X99
    Intel i7 5960x Extreme Edition
    Corsair H100i Cooler
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 16G 2800 MHz
    Samsung XP941 512 GB (Boot)
    2 x M500 SSD Crucial (Raid 0)
    4 x WD 2TB (RAID 5)
    2 x GFX 780 TI Kingpin (SLI)

Quote Originally Posted by Varatras View Post
    I would like to set up a new system with the Rampage V Extreme, 2 Asus 980's, and 2 Samsung XP951 512gb on M.2 PCI-e based SSD to PCI-e X4 adapters in RAID 0. Is this even possible?
    Hello

Only if the array is created by the operating system which would then not be bootable.

ROG Junior Member Array

thanks for the replies!! i'll probably play it safe for now and just run the 1 M.2 in its slot on the board. It really don't look like the chipset or board is ready for this type of thing.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Varatras View Post
    thanks for the replies!! i'll probably play it safe for now and just run the 1 M.2 in its slot on the board. It really don't look like the chipset or board is ready for this type of thing.
    How are you buddy. I am having exactly same thing but in my case I already ordered 2 980s and using them and ordered 2 new SM951.
    I am using 5930K 40 line CPU. And I wonder will it work

I have 2 980s on X99 Deluxe port 1 and 3 and trying to get two M.2 SM951. I don't know if it's possible to use them in RAID0 but my goal is to get both of them working even separately one with M.2 slot on motherboard and second one with PCIx Adapter card that came with x99 deluxe. I was trying to see if I can do RAID0 and have Windows 10 and Ubuntu as Dual Boot. A lot of updates came for M.2 and last few BIOS revisions were concentrated on getting M.2 bootable and stable.

I wonder if x2 GPU in SLI + 2x m.2 SSDs are now viable at full speed in RAID0 or separately.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array skypine27 PC Specs
    skypine27 PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme
    Processor5960x
    Graphics Card #1Titan X
    Graphics Card #2Titan X

Im no expert, but OPs question is really a niche question for an ultra minority of users. Even among "power users" like any of us (I'd consider anyone who bought a R5E a power user) this is really more of an academic, "is this even possible" type question vs something most of us would actually want to do.

I run a SM951 (512gb) in the normal m2 slot as my boot and Windows 8.1 drive. Works great. The only game I keep on it is Star Citizen, all other games go to other drives.

I don't think we will ever see gaming oriented boards supporting more than 1 x M2 drive. Reason being? Why bother with the complexity of this (the whole PCIE lanes stuff...) when M2's are simply going to get bigger? I agree, the 512 GB size SM951 is a bit small since I would like to transfer more games to it but cant, but it still works great as a boot only drive. In a year or two, when M2 drives are 2TB and bigger, why bother with the complexities and quirks of a trying to find a mobo that supports 2 of them in Raid 0?
    *CPU: Intel 7980XE @ 4.4ghz (by Core usage) w/ EK monoblock
    *Mobo: Asus Rampage VIE
    *RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000 G.Skill TridentZ
    *Graphics: Titan Xp w/EK block+backplate
    *Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3418DW @ 120hz
    *Storage OS: Samsung SM961 Pro (1TB) Windows 10
    *Storage Games Internal: 4TB 850 EVO RAID0
    *Storage Extermal: 32TB Raid0 (External USB 3.1 Box)
    *Case/PSU: Thermaltake V71 TG/RGB + 3 Rads (120mm, 360mm, 420mm) + Corsair AX1200i PSU

New ROGer Array

i plan on running SLI with a SM951 in m.2 for boot and an intel 750 in the PCIE x8/X4 slot. according to the manual, the 750 should work simultaneously with the m.2 slot in the x8/X4 slot since it's only an x4 device.

my question is, will populating the the m.2 and x8/x4 slot automatically drop my 2nd GPU to x8? theoretically with a 40-lane cpu, it should have enough bandwidth: 16 + 16 + 4 + 4 = 40.

wondering if anyone has tried this

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by spamhead View Post

Populating PCIE_X4_8 with an X4 device would disable the on-board M.2 and depending on the CPU you have installed and the bandwidth is shared between them. Also the PCIE_X4_1 slots shares USB3_910 and Sata Express _E1 connections. See picture below from the manual.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Expansion.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	42140

Thanks
    i think what you stated is incorrect, but i haven't tried it out in real life. according to the image you showed, with a 40-lane cpu, populating the slot with x8 would disable the m.2, populating the slot with x4 would work and share bandwidth with the m.2

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

Quote Originally Posted by jikdoc View Post
    i plan on running SLI with a SM951 in m.2 for boot and an intel 750 in the PCIE x8/X4 slot. according to the manual, the 750 should work simultaneously with the m.2 slot in the x8/X4 slot since it's only an x4 device.

my question is, will populating the the m.2 and x8/x4 slot automatically drop my 2nd GPU to x8? theoretically with a 40-lane cpu, it should have enough bandwidth: 16 + 16 + 4 + 4 = 40.

wondering if anyone has tried this
    Your GPUs will be running at x16/x8/x8.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast